Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SPR/recce upper, what muzzle device?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

SPR/recce upper, what muzzle device?

Recently finished my 16" recon upper and used a standard A2 flash hider. Now what would you guys recommend over the A2 flash hider?
    I'm in Texas so no issues with flash hiders.

Am wanting something that will NOT hinder accuracy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like my Smith Enterprise Vortex.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    The Vortex is a good choice. It really does a good job at suppressing flash. VLTOR came out with a new one that looks pretty nice, although I have not tried it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Vortex or OpsInc.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    I use Vortex on all my uppers (except the 10.5") its the best flash suppresor I tried. The only drawback for me it that is long.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Say, the flats on the Vortex, do they need to be indexed so that they are on the left/right side of the barrel?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MH64 View Post
    Say, the flats on the Vortex, do they need to be indexed so that they are on the left/right side of the barrel?
    Negative. It doesn't need to be timed.

-RD62

Feedback Score
    I have recently been wanting to try a Smith Vortex, and was wondering if anyone here could answer the following questions for me?

1. Is there ANY other FH that even comes close to the Vortex, as far as hiding the flash on a rifle (disregarding actual NFA items such as suppressors of course)

2. HOW MUCH better is the Vortex at hiding flash, than the A2 birdcage style FH's??? I mean, does it kill 50% more flash? 80% more? Just looking for a BALLPARK here. (I realize this WILL BE a ballpark figure!)

3. The Smith Vortex (unlike the A2 Birdcage FH's) leave a dust signature, correct? I don't believe I've seen a solid bottom side to the Vortex, so is it indeed true that there WILL be a LOT more dust signature coming off a Vortex, as compared to the A2's???

Thanks guys...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Your ansewers...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    I have recently been wanting to try a Smith Vortex, and was wondering if anyone here could answer the following questions for me?

1. Is there ANY other FH that even comes close to the Vortex, as far as hiding the flash on a rifle (disregarding actual NFA items such as suppressors of course)

2. HOW MUCH better is the Vortex at hiding flash, than the A2 birdcage style FH's??? I mean, does it kill 50% more flash? 80% more? Just looking for a BALLPARK here. (I realize this WILL BE a ballpark figure!)

3. The Smith Vortex (unlike the A2 Birdcage FH's) leave a dust signature, correct? I don't believe I've seen a solid bottom side to the Vortex, so is it indeed true that there WILL be a LOT more dust signature coming off a Vortex, as compared to the A2's???

Thanks guys...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TPpsIw7IwE

Look at this video, hope it helps. Regarding the dust signature, I've not noticed any difference shooting from the stand and behind cover positions, from the prone position I can't tell.

Feedback Score
    Wow,
    That video shows there is almost NO flash with a Vortex, and there is a TON of flash with an A2.
    I've never heard anyone claim the Vortex to be THIS effective... Thanks for posting...

BTW,
    Does anyone here know the best (cheapest) place to purchase a Smith Vortex???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast