Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Carbine 101 Review

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Defensive Carbine 101 Review

As many of you have read, we taught a basic Defensive Pistol class at Tusco Rifle Club: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52218

On April 30th, we started our Defensive Carbine class. Just like the pistol class, there is little to no carbine training going on in our area so we decided to do something about that.

Sgt. Watson of the T-County SO helped me run the class (which I am grateful for). We had about 24 shooters come out for our class. Like the pistol class, this one was FREE to the club members as well.

The week prior to the class, we saw a lot of the students come into our shop for mag pouches and slings. For whatever reason, they all had DPMS rifles. The castle nut on all of them were not staked. One came off with no effort and one of the others would NOT comes off with a cheater bar and heating it with a torch. I have no idea what DPMS did to this castle nut, but it ain't coming off. One more reason to not buy a DPMS.

In the class, we discussed safety, operating in groups with a carbine and trigger finger discipline. There were about 3-4 Vietnam era slings (standard GI). Everyone wants to point their muzzles at their melon's! No idea why this is. So after asking them all if they wanted to shoot themselves in the head or the foot, they all pointed their muzzles down.

We covered the main types of zero's (25, 50 and 100) and had them all confirm their weapons POA/POI.

Next was stance, grip, different types of "ready" position (high, low, etc).

We covered three types of kneeling positions and prone. We also laid to rest the fact that the magazine can be used as a monopod when shooting in the prone position.

Much like the pistol class, most people learn to shoot by themselves and or by watching TV/Movies. They also tend to have ZERO idea what is quality and what isn't. "No, you don't have to buy everything UTG makes and strap it to your rifle."

All and all, the class went well and look forward to the next one in May.

C4

Last edited by C4IGrant; 05-03-10 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Cool!

Feedback Score
    Ohhhh, now you're just being cruel. See you at the handgun class this Friday.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneOneBravo View Post
    Ohhhh, now you're just being cruel. See you at the handgun class this Friday.
    The pistol class is on Saturday. You can of course show up on Friday, but I won't be there.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    The pistol class is on Saturday. You can of course show up on Friday, but I won't be there.

C4
    Wuss, real warriors show up a day early for the leaders recon. LOL (see you Saturday)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    How did the HK91 ( think that's what is) do?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    How did the HK91 ( think that's what is) do?
    It was a Cetme clone I believe (not sure if the owner even knew what it was).

The gun ran pretty well and the guy was one of the better shooters. We shot under 100rds though. I hope to see him at our next class.

I also told him that he was shooting a man's gun (.308). He got a laugh out of that.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    It was a Cetme clone I believe (not sure if the owner even knew what it was).

The gun ran pretty well and the guy was one of the better shooters. We shot under 100rds though. I hope to see him at our next class.

I also told him that he was shooting a man's gun (.308). He got a laugh out of that.

C4
    The class looks great
    WWW.SUPERIORFIREARMSLLC.COM
    10111 Production Court
    Louisville ky. 40299
    502-365-2244

Former VSM Regional Endorsed Instructor

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Defensive Carbine #2

On Saturday, we finished our second DC2 class. A good turn out as usual with 22 shooters present.

We covered offset's again (as many forget about them), turns and the Emergency reloads.

Everyone learned something and had a good time.

I would like to thank Tusco Rifle Range for letting us use their facility and Sgt. Watson from the T-County SO for his assistance.

C4

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast