Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Martial Art That Integrates Well With Firearms Training?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah, it was going pretty good for a while.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    I feel fortunate that my instructor moved from San Diego (where he started studying American Kenpo with Ed Parker, and had Danny Inosanto as a classmate, back in 1960). He began teaching Kenpo in the mid 60s and has owned his own school(s) there in San Diego. He has studied kali/escrima, kung fu, western boxing, tai karate, japanese sword fighting, fencing, jui jitsu and was an early student of Bruce Lee (JKD).

He saw a need in the early nineties to somewhat formalize the integration of these into something that would firstmost allow effectiveness and ultimate survival in real world defense.

He moved here to take over care of his grandchildren after his son's death.

We emphasize awareness, mindset and spontaneity. And this is being open to, recognizing and seizing opportunities within the fight, since fights are dynamic.

We train immediately with weapons...edged, blunt contact,flexible and improvised. Consistent with FMA, there is a flow and continuum from and to empty hand and weapons. Although not a CCW carrying gun guy, he has something going for him that ultimately benefits the students. He is open to the use of anything that helps you survive.
    He actually was one of the people in the first group hired by Frontsight to consult on their open hand/knife defense programs (of which I know nothing about). He did say Piazza was extremely rude and would not even introduce himself or make common greetings when my instructor extended his hand and introduced himself. He seemed entirely disinterested. My instructor stated none of the research, plans or suggestions he recommended were adopted. My instructor also relayed a personal self defense situation where he fired shots at someone during a break-in on his property. Interesting.

We discuss and train at all ranges, weapons range, striking, trapping and ground. We transition through all of these ranges. We do a lot with stick, knife and pocket stick....and not just the standing 'duel' silliness, but the real life aggressive, shit is happening right NOW and if you don't respond with ruthlessness and brutality you may not live to regret it. I think Mr. Lee and Mr. Cooper would be proud.

I am grateful and recognize how fortunate I am to have him right here by me. I usually don't step in shit like that.

For a recommendation, I would have to say try to find kali/escrima and try it out. What I find valuable is that FMA (in general) is still used in real world, present day fighting. It is active, and creative, not just some ancient art that at one point was active and creative. It also has something for all ranges. I also see it as something that does not presume you have 10 years to study to become even remotely effective.

HTH.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snare View Post
    I feel fortunate that my instructor moved from San Diego (where he started studying American Kenpo with Ed Parker, and had Danny Inosanto as a classmate, back in 1960). He began teaching Kenpo in the mid 60s and has owned his own school(s) there in San Diego. He has studied kali/escrima, kung fu, western boxing, tai karate, japanese sword fighting, fencing, jui jitsu and was an early student of Bruce Lee (JKD).

He saw a need in the early nineties to somewhat formalize the integration of these into something that would firstmost allow effectiveness and ultimate survival in real world defense.

He moved here to take over care of his grandchildren after his son's death.

We emphasize awareness, mindset and spontaneity. And this is being open to, recognizing and seizing opportunities within the fight, since fights are dynamic.

We train immediately with weapons...edged, blunt contact,flexible and improvised. Consistent with FMA, there is a flow and continuum from and to empty hand and weapons. Although not a CCW carrying gun guy, he has something going for him that ultimately benefits the students. He is open to the use of anything that helps you survive.
    He actually was one of the people in the first group hired by Frontsight to consult on their open hand/knife defense programs (of which I know nothing about). He did say Piazza was extremely rude and would not even introduce himself or make common greetings when my instructor extended his hand and introduced himself. He seemed entirely disinterested. My instructor stated none of the research, plans or suggestions he recommended were adopted. My instructor also relayed a personal self defense situation where he fired shots at someone during a break-in on his property. Interesting.

We discuss and train at all ranges, weapons range, striking, trapping and ground. We transition through all of these ranges. We do a lot with stick, knife and pocket stick....and not just the standing 'duel' silliness, but the real life aggressive, shit is happening right NOW and if you don't respond with ruthlessness and brutality you may not live to regret it. I think Mr. Lee and Mr. Cooper would be proud.

I am grateful and recognize how fortunate I am to have him right here by me. I usually don't step in shit like that.

For a recommendation, I would have to say try to find kali/escrima and try it out. What I find valuable is that FMA (in general) is still used in real world, present day fighting. It is active, and creative, not just some ancient art that at one point was active and creative. It also has something for all ranges. I also see it as something that does not presume you have 10 years to study to become even remotely effective.

HTH.
    Joe Maffei, a JKD guy out of Boston, released a training video years ago that had him doing flow drills and other material against people armed with a variety of shanks, shivs, etc. The FMA have a lot to offer people if they want to learn

Feedback Score
    It's interesting to hear my instructor relay how much of a shock Bruce Lee's breaking the boundaries set by traditional martial arts actually was then. Today, we take this for granted. But my instructor conveys so well how radical it really was then, not to mention the man's personal abilities.

Another interesting thing he says is how much easier it was to teach in San Diego. He said martial arts/self defense was very big out there, and has been for as long as he knows (he is from LA). Students sought out programs. Here, in WNC, we are in a very liberal part of the state, but people are just not interested in defense.

We have a 65+ yo woman in the class that I believe has experienced personal violence. She studied Tang Soo Do for quite a while too. But, she has the typical anti-gun ridiculousness. Most people around here are total new age foo foo peace freaks and the gun people see every problem as a nail.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Krav. MMA fighting is very different than combat. If your opponent is armed with a knife or gun, the dynamic is very different than in a ring.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by huklbrry View Post
    Lemme know where if you find someone who teaches the Gun Kata. It is the most coveted of forms IMHO.
    I know a guy that teaches this out of his mom's basement. I'll dig his number up for you.
    Last edited by MechEng; 06-23-10 at 20:47.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

VMI-MO Guest
    Below is a video that IMHO sums up my mindset towards a street fight.

Disclaimer: This video has some language, but is actually kind of funny.

British dudes take on street fights

PJ

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617