Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Art That Integrates Well With Firearms Training?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Martial Art That Integrates Well With Firearms Training?

I am thinking about starting martial arts training of some kind and it occurred to me to explore whether there is any style that integrates well with firearms training, or that incorporates firearms training in a useful way. My goals in taking up a martial art would be both to improve my fitness level and to acquire practical self-defense skills. I would like it very much if it also helped improve my shooting/gun handling skills. I trained a little bit, long ago and far, far away, in aikido and in kung fu. It was long enough ago, and little enough, that the training is largely irrelevant at this point, but I did enjoy them both when I did them. Google yielded some weird results that didn't help much, at least on the first pass. The members of m4carbine.net seem like a good group of people to ask, and this sub-forum seems like the right spot. Thanks in advance.

Erik

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Krav Maga is what I have trained in. They also incorporate firearms training with a system called KAPAP. It is what the IDF uses. Combat Proven. I believe the Us uses some of it as well, but not positive.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thank you. I'll look into those.

Feedback Score
    I like Krav too, though I've never integrated it with firearms training (besides the red gun stuff).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Cool. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    American karate. Ching Chink Pow.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoKevin View Post
    Krav Maga is what I have trained in. They also incorporate firearms training with a system called KAPAP. It is what the IDF uses. Combat Proven. I believe the Us uses some of it as well, but not positive.
    They use chamber empty carry.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I suggest finding and training in an effective martial art, then figuring out how to work in your firearms skills. Most systems that I've seen that try to be all-encompassing tend to be lackluster in most aspects.
    Last edited by NCPatrolAR; 05-05-10 at 09:21.

Feedback Score
    I am afraid in many traditional Martial Arts you won't find much. Just like you won't find many Martial Arts instructors teaching MA along with guns. MCS (my company) is open hand combatives, impact weapons, and edged weapons, and firearms within seven yards.

It is hard to do with traditional arts since they are all based on impact and edged weapons. They all require physical contact. Firearms allow you to gain distance but need to be able to deploy it during/after physical contact. This is a stumbling point for many. Good luck- George
    Last edited by mercop; 05-05-10 at 09:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    I suggest finding and training in an effective martial art, then figuring out how to work in your firearms skills. Most systems that I've seen that try to be all-encompassing tend to be lackluster in most aspects.
    Thank you. Do you have any thoughts about an effective martial art?

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    I am afraid in many traditional Martial Arts you won't find much. Just like you won't find many Martial Arts instructors teaching MA along with guns. MCS (my company) is open hand combatives, impact weapons, and edged weapons, and firearms within seven yards.

It is hard to do with traditional arts since they are all based on impact and edged weapons. They all require physical contact. Firearms allow you to gain distance but need to be able to deploy it during/after physical contact. This is a stumbling point for many. Good luck- George
    Thanks. If you were closer (I'm in CT), I'd definitely check it out.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast