Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1015

Thread: LMT MRP 308!

Feedback Score
    I'm fine with that, i need the highest powered scope that has a good reputation. I've heard stories about the Dark Ops scopes, figured someone could help steer me in the right direction.

Any links would be appreciated!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Comments on that particular scope aside, you don't need a 42 power scope on an 800 yard gun.

ETA: Are you talking about this stuff?? http://www.countersniperoptics.com/c...tup=1&cart_id=
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 07-24-11 at 15:57.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Did a little shooting a couple weeks ago. Took my LMT with 16" CL barrel out to 700. Tried some FGMM 168 but my drops, or the shooter, were way off and I stopped using the good ammo after 10 shots. Then I switched to some DAG and was able to score 7 of 12 shots on an 18 x 30 plate. I am just beginning in the beyond 400 yard shooting and it was fun. Will be a bit more organized next time.

I used velocity data I found here for the DAG and put it in bulletflight. It turned out to be a bit off. Bullet Flight called for 5.7 mils (with a 100 yard zero) and I needed 7.5 to get there. It was still a good day.

The white dot just below the green clearing is at 700, the one below that is 600 and the one on the dam is 300. There was a 500 in there but you can't see it. Sorry, no grouping data this time.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Comments on that particular scope aside, you don't need a 42 power scope on an 800 yard gun.

ETA: Are you talking about this stuff?? http://www.countersniperoptics.com/c...tup=1&cart_id=
    +1 10x or 15x is enough. I shoot bolt guns with a 10x and 15x up to 900/1,000 yards with no issues.

the swfa SS ffp mil/mil 9x is great glass and only $600

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Made it out to try out my new to me 16" SS barrel. I tried to make an effort today to compare the new 16" to my old 20" in terms of recoil and I honestly didn't feel a difference. I don't know if I'm not normal but now that I am shooting strait behind the rifle I almost don't even notice the recoil. Shooting any of my ar's whether it's a .223 or .308 is almost the same to me as far as feel and even sound.

After sighting in, I shot this 5 round group at 100yds before moving on to shooting steel. I know a lot don't like the 5 round group, but I think this is pointing to good things to come. Group measures exactly 7/8" from center to center. FWIW, I really feel that is my limit as far as group shooting goes at this point. The rifle may be more capable, but I am not yet.

Last edited by m1ajunkie; 07-24-11 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Got my barrel reprofiled and my surefire muzzle brake installed this week, and all I can say is "WOW". The recoil impulse is extremely different.

I got out yesterday to try it out and see what kind of groups I could shoot with the brake, results turned out less than spectacular. For one I have not been doing any dry fire practice and coupled with the new brake I wasn't able to do any better than about 2". When I first got the mws, I was having issues shooting it accurately. I had those issues fixed recently, but now I feel like I am back to square one with the new style recoil impulse.

Anyway I am really happy with the brake, just going to take some practice on my part. The toughest part about it is that now the rifle seems to pull away from my should in the middle of recoil.

Has anyone else had a similar experience when installing a brake on a rifle?

Pic:

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    M1Ajunkie,

I have not had a recoil impulse like you describe, although I have the FSC30 brake on my rifle. Mine seems to recoil straight back, but it has been a few weeks since I shot it last. I will try to get out this week and see if I can give any more helpful feedback.

I am curious about the practical accuracy of the 16" SS barrels. For a while, I was considering one of the 16" or 18" offerings. My ability allows me to run my 16" CL gun to about 1-1.25 MOA with FGMM 168, and I am ok with that. If a $700 SS barrel can only tighten up my groups by about .3 MOA, it is not worth it to me.

I will also say that I am new to long range shooting and consistent grous at 100 are far easier than groups at 500+. For those of you who can shoot well at those distances, kudos.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    bnanaphone, You may try a soft surface under the bipod legs. You may be getting some hop with that hard surface.
    Mark,

You are right, I was definitely getting some bounce on that surface. I will try something to cushion it next time. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    bnanaphone, You may try a soft surface under the bipod legs. You may be getting some hop with that hard surface.

M1ajunkie-what ammo did you use? What worked with the "old" barrel may not with the new profile.
    Also--extend that stock so you can get behind the rifle better. It will allow you to have a better hand position on the grip and control it into the shoulder. Have a friend help set up the scope in regards to eye relief.
    Extend the stock all of the way
    Loosen the scope cross bolts and remove it.
    Get behind the rifle, get comfortable with a good position.
    Do not move your head!
    Have a buddy place the scope on the rail so you have proper eye relief on it without moving your head--torque it down.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post

M1ajunkie-what ammo did you use? What worked with the "old" barrel may not with the new profile.
    Also--extend that stock so you can get behind the rifle better. It will allow you to have a better hand position on the grip and control it into the shoulder. Have a friend help set up the scope in regards to eye relief.
    Extend the stock all of the way
    Loosen the scope cross bolts and remove it.
    Get behind the rifle, get comfortable with a good position.
    Do not move your head!
    Have a buddy place the scope on the rail so you have proper eye relief on it without moving your head--torque it down.
    Ammo I was using was the same load from before the reprofiling. I received the new barrel and went out to sight in and shoot a couple groups just to check accuracy before having it reprofiled. I was really hoping that a slight change in profile wouldn't need a new load developed. I did notice a poi shift 1 mil down when I tried the new profile at the range. I guess my hopes of using the same zero and old load were a little optimistic.

I shot 2 5 round groups with the "old" profile that I was very pleased with. One is pictured a couple of post up, and one was right at 1" and honestly thats what I would call the limit of my ability at this point.

As far as recoil impulse, I'm not sure how to describe it as I have never shot a rifle with a muzzle brake. It felt to me like a gentle push rearward, and then a sharp "jump" forward. I have been practicing a strait behind the rifle position and have been producing results I am extremely happy with. However, after every shot with the brake the stock was sliding all over my shoulder pocket. A rain storm ended my day of shooting, but I am going to practice some more and try some FGMM to see if my load does need work.

The stock, is set how you describe but instead of being fully extended I am 4 pos out from collapsed. Any longer and I feel "stretched" when shooting the rifle.

bnanaphone- as far as practical accuracy on the SS barrel, I am not at a point yet to say if it is really worth more than the CL barrels. The reason I chose the SS model was so there was no doubt the rifle was performing as desired. This allows me to focus my training on my position, and fundamentals without wondering if the rifle is doing it's job.
    Last edited by m1ajunkie; 08-08-11 at 17:52.

Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102 LastLast