Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Never exercise for over 45 minutes"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Interesting...I should tell my friends in Iraq and Afghanistan they should only work 45 mins at a time with their battle rattle on...
    Funny, you are the first person to try and define combat as primarily a weight-loss activity. Are your friends also straw-men like your arguments?
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 05-07-10 at 16:55.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    my respectful opinion of this

. In the past 6 months, I've never been to a single workout with my SEAL motivator that didn't last at least 3 hours. I doubt working out more than 45 min will do more harm than good.
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    As a 4 time marathoner and a dozen half marathons mixed with a half dozen triathlons under my belt I can say emphatically that my stomach isn't getting developing a beer belly and my testosterone levels are very healthily high. 45 minutes? That's just a warm up. Bite me ScienceMan!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I do a lot of bike riding, and see a lot of serious bike riders out there.

None of them have any muscle mass to speak of. They are skinny, yes, and doubtless in very good cardiovascular health, but none of them look like they have any upper body strength at all.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Wes, just stating my opinion here, not attacking you

You also see a lot of serious weightlifters who look really big. That said, I've never seen a "serious" bike rider that looked really buff. Being very slim and slender seems to be the ideal body type for that particular sport. They don't need a large amount of muscle mass, it's not what is most important to succeed in their sport.
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    I do a lot of bike riding, and see a lot of serious bike riders out there.

None of them have any muscle mass to speak of. They are skinny, yes, and doubtless in very good cardiovascular health, but none of them look like they have any upper body strength at all.

There is a reason the serious racers are built like that. Because they choose to be. It is the best build for their chosen sport. I have friends who are training with the goal of losing upper body muscle mass because it does nothing for their performance on the bike other than slow them down.

If you are an athlete you direct your training to maximum performance in your chosen sport, if upper body muscle mass isnt needed, you get rid of it.

As for the 45 minutes of exercise at a time, straight bullshit.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Or maybe that is the way their bodies are going to be anyway, and they just found their way into that sport because it "felt right"?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Bullshit.
    pretty much. ask any roofer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Funny, you are the first person to try and define combat as primarily a weight-loss activity. Are your friends also straw-men like your arguments?
    No...I'm saying heavy exertion wearing 60-70 lbs of gear for hours at a time kind of contradicts the "study"

WTF is up with the personal attack...

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    It all depends on what you're training for. If you want to run a marathon or hold your breath for a long time underwater you need to run a lot or swim a lot, respectively. Neither type of training is going to result in great upper body strength. I think the study the OP was talking about was geared more toward strength training with weights. In my experience the conclusion that anything more than an hour or so in the gym, is pointless or even counterproductive.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast