Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "Never exercise for over 45 minutes"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rljatl View Post
    Yep, bullshit. Just wait and another study will come along to refute that one. How many overweight people do you see that regularly run for more than 45 minutes a day? Defies common sense, if you ask me. Calories consumed minus calories burned...
    Same same.

Just look at triathletes that do full iron man tris, then there's Armstrong and his peers. Not much fat at all on any of these guys (or gals), forget about belly fat. They all do many hours a day in training.

Feedback Score
    Speaking of bullshit,

I finally got around to reading that whole, torturously written article. And then I came upon this gem:

"It actually does the body more harm than good, to work out for long periods of time. When you exercise more than 45 minutes, the body begins to produce increased amounts of cortisol, which triggers muscle breakdown.
    WTF is "muscle breakdown". Explain exactly, what that means. Bullshit, in other words.

■Cortisol is able to overpower just about all other hormones in the body.
    Really? It "overpowers" them? I suppose that's scientific, too. How does it "overpower" them, exactly.

■Cortisol can cause accumulation of body fat even if you think you are doing all the right things correctly.
    CAUSE???? Here's a big ass clue: Scientists and medical professionals know SHIT about "cause" in the human body. There is only degrees of positive or negative correlation. Or not. This is the sure sign of shyster crap.

■Cortisol will block HGH from doing its job.

High levels of cortisol are known to be the cause of:
    ■Decreased bone density.
    ■Increased blood pressure.
    ■Inhibition of the immune system.
    ■Muscle wasting.
    ■Insulin resistance.
    ■Increased body fat levels.
    More blah, blah, blah causal bullshit. Who writes this stuff and what kind of idiots actually believe it?

KNOWN causes? Yeah, right. Why the superfluous qualifier? As opposed to UNKNOWN causes? This is snake oil salesman speak. What does this jackass who wrote this sell, anyway?

Actually, I'd like to thank the OP for providing such a fine opportunity to go off via the internet. It's very seldom I get such a nice, plump, easy to go off on target.
    Last edited by 120mm; 05-08-10 at 10:26.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well, it's nice you are having such fun.

Anyway. In order to jump-start my weightloss program, I was considering bicycling to work for three months. It is 18 miles from my house, so that makes a 90 minute ride there in the morning, then a 90 minute ride back in the afternoon. Last summer I did it for two months; I lost a few pounds at first, but by the time it was over I had actually gained weight. I saw these articles on Cortisol and wondered if it was to blame; after all, at three hours cardio a day I would hardly expect to see a weight gain.

So, I was wondering if trying the ride program but with a different nutritional support regime might help. But, I don't want to loose the muscle mass I worked so hard to develop this year.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post

Anyway. In order to jump-start my weightloss program, I was considering bicycling to work for three months. It is 18 miles from my house, so that makes a 90 minute ride there in the morning, then a 90 minute ride back in the afternoon. Last summer I did it for two months; I lost a few pounds at first, but by the time it was over I had actually gained weight. I saw these articles on Cortisol and wondered if it was to blame; after all, at three hours cardio a day I would hardly expect to see a weight gain.

So, I was wondering if trying the ride program but with a different nutritional support regime might help. But, I don't want to loose the muscle mass I worked so hard to develop this year.
    What else were you doing during these two months? You are burning away calories when biking. Obviously the biking is not the determining variable in this situation. Regardless of any cortisol level, what is important is how many calories you intake, and how many you burn. If you burn off calories beyond body maintenance levels, you eventually lose weight, that's just how it works.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan187 View Post
    What else were you doing during these two months? You are burning away calories when biking. Obviously the biking is not the determining variable in this situation. Regardless of any cortisol level, what is important is how many calories you intake, and how many you burn. If you burn off calories beyond body maintenance levels, you eventually lose weight, that's just how it works.
    He also should not forget that you can gain weight if you gain muscle. I know that bicycling is mostly cardio but you will still be strengthening your legs and adding muscle when you ride so often. People should not obsess as much about weight as they should about performance.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quite right in terms weight gain from biking, but the tone of the post seemed to imply more. In general I agree, I could care less how much I weigh, as long as I look and can perform how I want.

Feedback Score
    you need variety in your workout.
    the body adapts itself to the same workout. I suggest trying crossfit. i wasn't a believer until I started to see the results.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post

I'd wager you put on some muscle. I did a century (100 mile road bike ride) last year with a nasty climb the first 35 miles. I know I put on some muscle during the training season and as a result of the actual event. I took a few weeks off and hit a moderate climb around home and zipped up a hill that 'gets your attention' at a speed I've never done before.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    45 min, bull shit. Ever seen a fat marathon runner? Enough said.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You misread the information: it says nothing about Cortisol making you fat. It says it destroys muscle tissue.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast