Thread: 5.45x39 7N6 ballistics

Feedback Score

5.45x39 7N6 ballistics

I can't seem to find anything about fpe at distance or drop. Just bought a 5.45 AR upper, and wanted to know what kinda speed and distance could be expected from it.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Some data found here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=18015&page=6

About halfway down the page.

And here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...=18015&page=35 a guy named "OpenBolt" did some chrono work.

Hope it helps.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I was searching this forum for it. I will mark it for more info when I find a good ballistics calculator.

Feedback Score
    I just chronoed some 1991 Bulgarian surplus out of a bulgarian 74. It was right at 3000FPS.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keesh View Post
    I just chronoed some 1991 Bulgarian surplus out of a bulgarian 74. It was right at 3000FPS.
    Very nice. My rabbit hunting buddy chronoed some Wolf 60 grain and it came out just over 2300 fps. I guess they ran out of the correct poweder for the 5.45 and substituted the slower burning stuff that they use in the 7.62x54R.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just beware of the increased riccochet danger 7N6 has due to the steel rod core encased in the bullet. I've seen that come back over 25 yards with force enough to lodge in skin

However, I have also witnessed a coyote get royally f&$%ed up by one round of 7N6 out of a Krink at 40 yards. Dropped him quick.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    Very nice. My rabbit hunting buddy chronoed some Wolf 60 grain and it came out just over 2300 fps. I guess they ran out of the correct poweder for the 5.45 and substituted the slower burning stuff that they use in the 7.62x54R.
    Yeah, unfortunately Wolf is generally a lot slower than most milsurp stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by infidelprodigy View Post
    Just beware of the increased riccochet danger 7N6 has due to the steel rod core encased in the bullet. I've seen that come back over 25 yards with force enough to lodge in skin

However, I have also witnessed a coyote get royally f&$%ed up by one round of 7N6 out of a Krink at 40 yards. Dropped him quick.
    Yep, when we were chronographing this weekend I guess we must have hit a rock or something at about 100 yards because we found one hardened cores on the tailgate of the pickup. Just a reminder that safety glasses should be worn at all times

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by infidelprodigy View Post

Good to hear the 7n6 messes up coyotes. I bought the gun for that purpose. Someone on theakforum has posted some deer damage, and it seems the yawing does some damage. Was looking at shooting the 7n6, or the new hornady v-max if it ever comes out.