Page 76 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun pic thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by decodeddiesel View Post
    Awesome little shottie. What is the barrel length and magazine capacity?
    Thanks. It's a 14" barrel, 5 rounds of 2 3/4 inch in the magazine.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelZWilliamson View Post
    My Stevens takedown Trunk Monkey

With its old school sling. Rides in my luggage when traveling.

Very cool. I need to keep my eyes open for a take down Model 12.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smedley View Post
    I spotted a vintage 1974 Ithaca model 37 at a local shop. It looked like it had the potential for a new "Home Defender," so I did the paper work and took it home.

After much elbow grease, and a few more dollars, my hopes were realized with the finished product.

Also, I've read much banter about the so called "Slam-Fire" capability of early model 37's.
    The so-called "trigger Disconnector" feature.
    From my examination the Hammer is tripped while going into battery by a secondary sear on the slide stop.
    So wouldn't that make it a slide stop disconnector?
    Cheers!

Sweet Ithaca! I have a soft spot for model 37's. I would love one like that! I'd like to know some more details about all you did to it, especially about the sights.

Feedback Score
    Bullitt, thanks, I've always like Ithaca 37's myself. Come to think about it, I like just about everything John Browning developed or helped design.
    I carefully cut the barrel to 19" with the time tested hacksaw method. Deburred and smoothed everything up to look nice.
    Blasted the major components with aluminum oxide to prep the surface for a Dura-Coat "Parker" finish.
    The furniture is Choate. You don't have all the stock options you'd have with the 870's, 500's, et al.
    Drilled and tapped the barrel and receiver for Sage International Ghost Ring Sights.
    The holes go thru the receiver and directly into the extractor slot, so you'd need to shorten the screws accordingly. The front sight requires one 8 X 32, the rear is one 8 X 32 and one 6 X 40.
    It's unclear to me why the rear screws couldn't be the same size?
    No instructions were included with the Sight set I got, but it was readily apparent what needed to be done.
    Brownells Tech Support is mailing me a copy of the instructions, but I didn't really need them.
    I actually took pics as the project progressed, but that would require a thread all its own.
    Off to the range tomorrow to sight in. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by bullitt View Post
    Sweet Ithaca! I have a soft spot for model 37's. I would love one like that! I'd like to know some more details about all you did to it, especially about the sights.

Feedback Score
    My old Peerless Ejector--selective ejector double.

Last edited by MichaelZWilliamson; 01-07-11 at 00:50.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That Stevens Trunk Monkey--

I'd take that over all the Benellis I could carry!

I was always surprised there's not a little sub-industry with spare parts and services especially for those great old guns. When my Dad was 16 or so he shot a deer in the U.P. There was a city boy in the area on a hunting trip who had got skunked. He found out Dad had a nice buck (taken with a 12-gage round ball) and wanted to give Dad $20 for it, but he didn't have it on him, so he gave Dad a brand-new Stevens 20 gage that he would come back for the following year and give Dad the $20..... but he never came back.

That woulda been 1931-ish.

Feedback Score
    There are lots of spare parts for the takedowns without needing a new parts industry. I think the only reason they don't still exist is the hand fitting required. I paid $240 for that one last year.

It also has no interlock--hold the trigger and jack the slide. It slamfires as soon the breech locks.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That's no slamfire, technically speaking-- there is actual an auto sear kind of thing that keeps the hammer from dropping until the bolt is locked.

Great old guns..... love to find one just like it for $250!

Feedback Score
    Yes, the breech actually locks before the hammer drops.

Guy here at the Indy show specializes in them. He usually has several in 12 and 20.

alexsam1 at MSN dot com

Feedback Score
    My oldest step-son had one like that. I think he traded for Playstation III or something stupid like that. Obviously not my blood.

Page 76 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast