Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy, Samson and Midwest Indsutries FF forearms

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Troy, Samson and Midwest Indsutries FF forearms

I've been looking at all of these and all seem to mount to same without removal of front sight or barrel nut. Just cut off the Delta ring and mount the forearm.

Can anyone tell me the differences and positives and negatives of each brand (weight, rigidness, etc). The Samson and MI almost look identical but then again, I have not handled any personally, just viewed pics online. I am interested in putting one on a mid-length gas system carbine w/either a YHM Flip front sight /gas block or get a longer rail, low profile gas block and flip up sights for the rail.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    From a purely economic standpoint I went with the MI when I built my new gun. I have previously used an MI carbine length rail on another gun I own and have had no difficulties with it in either performance or quality. FWIW, at work my rifle has KAC rails and they have had a tendency to turn purple when they get hot. Nothing wrong with them in function, just appearance. I didn't want that on my personal guns so I stayed away from KAC, that and they cost too much. Good luck in your search

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Anyone else have any personal experience with the Troy and/or Samson? Thanks in advance for the info.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    First, the Samson rail is the Troy (stole their design). The Troy rail has anti-rotational tabs which the MI does not have. The Troy and MI are both good quality so you cannot lose either way IMHO.

C4

Feedback Score
    Grant,

What are the comparisons between the Troy FF rail and the LaRue unit? Is the LaRue worth the extra money and what does that buy?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Grant,

What are the comparisons between the Troy FF rail and the LaRue unit?

I will give you my song and dance on rail systems.

If you can install or pay someone to install it, go with a one piece FF rail (like LT, DD, KAC). If you cannot do it or don't to pay for it, go with a two piece FF rail.

No two piece rail is going to be as lite or as rigid as a one piece one.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    First, the Samson rail is the Troy (stole their design). The Troy rail has anti-rotational tabs which the MI does not have. The Troy and MI are both good quality so you cannot lose either way IMHO.

C4
    I'm curious as to who you are saying stole who's design since Scott Samson was the designer...

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe R. View Post
    I'm curious as to who you are saying stole who's design since Scott Samson was the designer...

That is false statement which has been pushed around the internet.

Just some info for you, before Steve Troy contacted Samson about making rails for them, Samson had not made a SINGLE part for the AR. I also do not believe that Samson even owned and AR at this time. So you do you honestly believe that Samson sat on the design of the MRF waiting for someone to come along and have it made with their name on it???

I also believe that Troy Industries has been awarded the patent on it.

C4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anyone have a link to the court cases? I had thought that Samson had won several times.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Anyone have a link to the court cases? I had thought that Samson had won several times.

Last I heard, the cases were not going anywhere fast because Samson was failing to show up.

I have not talked to Steve Troy about it quite some time though.

C4

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast