Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage AR and Clone pic thread.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    That would be a good candidate for one of these.

Please, please, please replace that new-fangled A2 pistol grip with an old-school one. The newer ones are just so... wrong on that weapon.
    ,——'ฏฏ';=====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏฏƒนถ
    One is just never enough...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Absolutely! I was looking at LMT M203's online recently. They would go well together! Is that an extended flash hider? The bbl is coming with wn A2X. I have the N1 stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is an extended A2 FH. The barrel is a 14.5" marked HP MP 1/7 5.56 NATO (supposedly a BCM barrel). The A2 upper is a Cerro Forge. The stock is from M&A parts. The buffer tube is a 2-position from Nodak Spud.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The XM4s and 727s are included into the retro ranks as is the 733s (including the A2 Commando). Those would be the latest carbines in the retro category. Nothing with flat-top receivers or railed handguards is considered retro and may not be for quite some time to come.
    Maybe not retro but old school.

Like in an I love the 90s sort of way.

As is his rifle is pretty current and well ensconced in at least the early 2000s.

But Flattops were around in 1994. And if done just right, you could make a 1990s build like the Land Warrior (if you were rich) or the old Swan Sleeve. It wasn't quite a S.I.R. but close. I cannot find a picture although it would be pushing it.

I was merely trying to be constructive.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    It is an extended A2 FH. The barrel is a 14.5" marked HP MP 1/7 5.56 NATO (supposedly a BCM barrel). The A2 upper is a Cerro Forge. The stock is from M&A parts. The buffer tube is a 2-position from Nodak Spud.
    Very cool. I'm copying you! Not going for the 2 position RE. Even with the current Colt 4 I miss the 1st position the 6 gives me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Not yet. The later M16A2 Series of weapons has recently been accepted by many as being the latest model to be considered vintage or retro. M4s are still in service and will be for some time to come regardless of what the Army is doing. The same goes for the M16A4s. Trust me. I know what is retro and what is not. I have been in this game for a long time.
    I thought the M4 was in the process of being replaced with the "M4 Product Improvement Program." I think it's at Picatinny? Marine Infantry don't use M4's that I can remember, were the first adopters of M4A1 full auto no burst. Navy SOPMOD program uses M4A1 with MK18 upper/14.5" FSP and the new Geis rails, all Navy M4's were converted to M4A1. Regular Navy uses CQB or MK18 uppers and again M4A1 lowers on them. I'm sure the Army has plenty of M4's sitting in armories, possibly the Air Force and Coast Guard also? But I'm fairly sure they viewed as being antiquated by the majority of folks who actually shoot them in their op cycles. Enlighten me? I don't know much about the Army, I just know they are having Picatinny churn out as many conversions as possible: and I read an article IRT all Infantry getting M4A1s last year.

Feedback Score
    I just turned my guvmint-issued M4 in back in June of 2016 when I retired from DHS-ICE. M4 carbines are still in active use all over federal law enforcement.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    I just turned my guvmint-issued M4 in back in June of 2016 when I retired from DHS-ICE. M4 carbines are still in active use all over federal law enforcement.
    Was it burst fire? I've seen some LEO that use "slabside" lowers, A1 and A2 uppers, etc. pretty much everything. (you fall into the Federal / LEO category) What I'm trying to determine is if the military branches within the DOD consider the M4 (burst fire) a fieldable weapon for the troops that are deployed (Afghanistan or abroad) or are they just sitting in armories waiting to be converted to M4A1. In the Navy we had ancient 1911's in our armories but we did not use them: they may have been used for watch for nostalic purposes if the CO didn't object. We also had China-Lake's and all kinds of ancient hardware that we didn't use.

Feedback Score
    I think the point you're missing is that the M4 is not retired from service, it's just retired from front-line duty. Like the M16A4, the M4 is still filling other roles (like training & gate-guard duty, ect.). Hell - there are still M16A2s in US inventories that are occasionally being used by National Guardsmen, & in my opinion, that's the main reason the M16A2 is really only sort-of considered as retro/vintage. I think once it's finally removed from reserve inventories it will be considered as all-in so to speak among retros (though I still think of it as Old-School rather than Retro or Vintage.)
    Last edited by MA2_Navy_Veteran; 02-11-18 at 11:20.
    ,——'ฏฏ';=====ฑ—-
    !‚–’ฏฏƒนถ
    One is just never enough...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MA2_Navy_Veteran View Post
    I think the point you're missing is that the M4 is not retired from service, it's just retired from front-line duty. Like the M16A4, the M4 is still filling other roles (like training & gate-guard duty, ect.). Hell - there are still M16A2s in US inventories that are occasionally being used by National Guardsmen.
    That would remove M16A2 from retro status by your logic. Retro in respect to Stoner rifles is any model that is no longer produced under DOD contract. The M4 is no longer produced as far as I know of, making it "retro.". It is used like many antiques are sitting in armories.

Feedback Score
    SOPMOD kit came out in 1993, no? That's 25 years ago.

I would think early SOPMOD configuration M4a1 would be about "retro" by now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast