Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage AR and Clone pic thread.....

Feedback Score
    I'm always hesitant to call this one a retro since for a 653 clone there are a few things wrong with it. The A2 lower is a glaring problem that should be corrected (and if I ever get around to making my M16A4 clone I will probably rob this receiver to do it with and replace the receiver my 653 has with another Nodak Spud lower instead. Next is one that I overlook and that's the barrel is a 16" lightweight Colt barrel. The fact that it's a 16" versus the 14.5" of the actual 653 is one I tend to overlook since I don't want to mess with the SBR routine. The last problem I have with it is that the upper is an A1 design but a quick glance at the ejection port cover quickly shows that this part is an A2 version which wouldn't be really correct here either. Nope, no doubt about it, that lower though really has to be swapped out though.

Feedback Score
    Oh what the hell, let's just put these up here:

The current rifle collection:

The current carbine collection:

The whole AR family on the wall:

Probably would have been easier to do this right from the start.

Feedback Score
    You have your "purist" Retro Fans, who build rifles to exacting details, then you have weapons built under what I consider "The Spirit Of Retro".

I like to think I fall into category #2 "The Spirit Of Retro".

I like to have at least one weapon which when I shoot it, it takes me back to my days in the service when I shot the M16A1. Or those early days during the phasing out of the A1, and the introduction of the A2.
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

http://quibphotography.com/

Feedback Score
    I guess I fall into the 2nd category but I strive for the first. For example, I would love to have a true early 603 XM16E1 built on a Nodak Spud lower but finding those old part, especially the barrel, gas tube and Edgewater buffer is difficult and more expensive than I want to deal with. While my bolt carrier is a notched chrome and the flash suppressor is a 2nd model, things like the buffer are going to be the current design and the barrel and gas tube, yup, that's going to be a post-war part too. Now if I can ever find these parts and at a reasonable cost, sure, I'll upgrade them but for right now, I'll have to settle for a spirit of retro in some respects.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post

(scope NOT retro/’79)
    And what would one of these run you today compared to what Uncle Sam paid for them in their era? Talk about inflation! Thank Bush... lol
    Fact of life:

Although the EAGLE may soar proudly through the skies, it is very rare for the Weasel to be sucked into a jet engine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My very early (1964) 604 upper should be back any week now from Victor at US Anodizing and my first complete retro clone will be complete. I'll post pictures as soon as I put it together. I have 4 others in various stages of being built, but there is that stuff called money that's slowing me down.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

XM-177 Question

Someone asked me if the early XM-177's were colt built. I didn't know the answer. Anybody care to share what they know about them.

D Williams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

another thread

Sorry I just read another thread indicating the XM-177 was colt only. Sorry for the question.

D Williams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    Sorry I just read another thread indicating the XM-177 was colt only. Sorry for the question.

D Williams
    Of course they were Colt only. H&R and GM Hydromatic made M16A1 rifles only, and paid royalties to Colt for every rifle produced. Every experimental rifle or carbine came out of Colt's factory.

Feedback Score

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast