Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 503

Thread: Vintage AR and Clone pic thread.....

  1. #491
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC88-93 View Post
    Second one done....
    Nice pair. I had intended to build an A1.. bought all the mil-surp parts back in the late 90s, many still sealed.. then shelved it. It's good to see how it should turn out if I ever get the project going.
    Last edited by ddrfires308; 10-30-19 at 04:17. Reason: add ref to post 462

  2. #492
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    144
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I didn't build this one, it was built by a friend and I later bought it from him when he put it up for sale.






  3. #493
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    238
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sorry for the repost. However, for what it’s worth, while I’ve carried many an iteration of the M16/M4 SOPMOD in combat, this is the one I “popped my cherry” on.

    My unit issued two primary “long guns”. For black side ops (so named for the color of the kit we wore) we used the MP5 and MP5SD. During green side ops, the primary was the M16A2, though some members, primarily team leads, were issued either an XM177 or 733 which we all colloquially referred to as “CAR15s”.

    The area of operations was taking us into an area which would involve vehicle operations and ranged from rural to urban. Therefore we needed something with a range beyond that of the MP5, yet compact to facilitate combat in the confines of urban areas under low light.

    Much to our pleasure, we were fielded the Colt 723 (which we of course called “CAR15s) along with LBV88 vets vests and from what I can recall, black Second Chance vests with steel plates. These vests were lower profile than the assault vests with snap button pouch attachment point we used for Black Side ops and we for some stupid reason we wore them under our DCU blouses which sucked in the equatorial heat.

    In addition to the carbine, we were issued Aimpoint 5000s, (though some opted to use the ARMSON OEGs), and Surefire 660s.

    Some members rigged their MP5 slings while some of us opted to use the USGI sling, all of which were “silenced”. Per standard operating procedures, magazines were modified with loops made of 550 cord with a piece of zip tie to make it stiff to aid in drawing it from the pouch and tape around the base to keep them from rattling. In addition, we placed Butler Creek covers over the light to reduce the risk of “negligent” activation.

    In regards to the build, I kept it as close to the original as possible with only two exceptions. I used the ADCO KAC Spacer to ensure the overall length was 16”, and opted to use a SOPMOD barrel because it was hidden under the handguard.

    I was able to hold a respectable group at 50 meters even with a 10 MOA dot.

    Regardless, out of all the variations I’ve carried in combat, this is my favorite. It truly is an “Elegant weapon for a more civilized age.”
    19146B22-281F-45F5-9E4A-E89E78BC997A.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #494
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    873
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Can you explain the zip tie with magazines?

  5. #495
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    238
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Can you explain the zip tie with magazines?
    You gut the 550, tie an overhand knot on one side. Next, determine how big you want the loop to be. Cut a piece of a zip tie about 1/4” shorter than the loop, insert into the 550 and secure the other end with an overhand knot. Remove the magazine floor plate, insert knotted ends and replace the floor plate. The knots will hold the loop in place.

    2F1C70C9-94C6-46A1-98CA-BFEC406D53D7.jpg

  6. #496
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sodom & Gomorrah on the Sound - Seattle, Wash., Left Coast Hell
    Posts
    2,395
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by albatrossarmament View Post
    I didn't build this one, it was built by a friend and I later bought it from him when he put it up for sale. [photos snipped]
    Very convincing Nam Reenactment setup there, Albatross--the kind of "living history" more young'uns need to have the chance to learn from.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue7a View Post
    You gut the 550, tie an overhand knot on one side. Next, determine how big you want the loop to be. Cut a piece of a zip tie about 1/4” shorter than the loop, insert into the 550 and secure the other end with an overhand knot. Remove the magazine floor plate, insert knotted ends and replace the floor plate. The knots will hold the loop in place.
    Sort of "How You Made Magpuls Before There Was Magpul"?

    Posting next pic on the C8 will wait until its furniture gets back from the shop for refinishing, but even with the black plastic and Umbrella lower I shot the last update off to a Canadian Afghan-vet buddy and his response was "How'd you get my old gun?" M4's URG will probably wait til next year unless I get an unexpected windfall or a fat overtime contract.
    You really have to ask why Conservatives have guns? Because Liberals block freeways, burn cities, throw Molotov cocktails, loot, turn over cop cars, and think this behavior is Socially Acceptable.
    --unknown, memed by user "KeepnitReel" at Northwest Firearms

    The NRA: Fighting Democratic Party terrorists with military-style assault weapons since 1871. LIFE MEMBER

    No affiliation with any manufacturer, distributor or retailer.

  7. #497
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    238
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Sort of "How You Made Magpuls Before There Was Magpul"?
    I believe the first MAGPUL products I used were in 2004’ish and consisted of the the anti-tilt followers and Ranger floor plates

  8. #498
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sodom & Gomorrah on the Sound - Seattle, Wash., Left Coast Hell
    Posts
    2,395
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue7a View Post
    I believe the first MAGPUL products I used were in 2004’ish and consisted of the the anti-tilt followers and Ranger floor plates
    That would be about the timeframe if I'm recalling their history right, was referring to the rubber magazine-pulls they take their name from. Your way looks a lot cheaper, lighter and more compact.
    You really have to ask why Conservatives have guns? Because Liberals block freeways, burn cities, throw Molotov cocktails, loot, turn over cop cars, and think this behavior is Socially Acceptable.
    --unknown, memed by user "KeepnitReel" at Northwest Firearms

    The NRA: Fighting Democratic Party terrorists with military-style assault weapons since 1871. LIFE MEMBER

    No affiliation with any manufacturer, distributor or retailer.

  9. #499
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC.
    Posts
    1,696
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Sort of "How You Made Magpuls Before There Was Magpul"?
    .
    Yes. I suspect the SOP of 550 and green duct tape is where they got the idea for their original product. Some guys also did the 550 loop without anything inside; not sure why.
    RLTW

    “That is why there isn't an AK chart.” -SteyrAUG
    “They eat tide pods also so what's your point?” Retrorevolver77

  10. #500
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    238
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    That would be about the timeframe if I'm recalling their history right, was referring to the rubber magazine-pulls they take their name from. Your way looks a lot cheaper, lighter and more compact.
    No, I was never a fan of the rubber pulls. The Ranger Floor Plate replaces the USGI one.

Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •