Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: best SBR ammo?

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    bump

Id like to hear what others like to shoot out of their SBR

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Can you be more specific? I shoot M193, Hornady steel TAP in 55gr. and 75gr. and markm loads for shits and giggles. I keep Hornady TAP T2 loaded for idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by snackgunner View Post
    bump

Id like to hear what others like to shoot out of their SBR

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Can you be more specific? I shoot M193, Hornady steel TAP in 55gr. and 75gr. and markm loads for shits and giggles. I keep Hornady TAP T2 loaded for idiots.
    Im looking for some quality shtf and hd ammo for a 12.5" SBR. I would prefer this ammo to come at reasonable price, but maybe there is not such a thing. After reading Docs duty loads thread, the BH 5.56 50 gr TSX seems like the stuff to stock up on, but I dont know if I can afford it. I would rather buy a case of ammo and have a lot on hand. But if that TSX load would preform much better than most ammo out of a SBR, then maybe I should pick some up. I have a couple of thousand rounds for shtf (origionally meant for my 16" m4) but its all composed of 2 different loads and they are IMI m855 and BH .223 77gr SMK. I want to purchase some more ammo soon and I want to know what ammo it would be smart to stock up on next for my 12.5" SBR.
    Last edited by snackgunner; 03-26-11 at 08:38.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I believe that the general consensus here will be don't get too wrapped up in the ammo minutia. I used to hear all sorts of stories about how ineffective the 55gr. bullet was until I saw someone get dropped with 2 to the chest about 15 years ago. In the end it's really about good shot placement.

I have no experience with the TSX load. Personally I think that you would be better off stocking up on some decent 5.56 ammo and then buying a few hundred rounds of something more exotic like the Black Hills 5.56 77gr. load (from ammunitiontogo) or a similar load from Silver State Armory.

if you can find some Hornady 75gr. TAP in 5.56 that would be good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by snackgunner View Post
    Im looking for some quality shtf and hd ammo for a 12.5" SBR. I would prefer this ammo to come at reasonable price, but maybe there is not such a thing. After reading Docs duty loads thread, the BH 5.56 50 gr TSX seems like the stuff to stock up on, but I dont know if I can afford it. I would rather buy a case of ammo and have a lot on hand. But if that TSX load would preform much better than most ammo out of a SBR, then maybe I should pick some up. I have a couple of thousand rounds for shtf (origionally meant for my 16" m4) but its all composed of 2 different loads and they are IMI m855 and BH .223 77gr SMK. I want to purchase some more ammo soon and I want to know what ammo it would be smart to stock up on next for my 12.5" SBR.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

A Generalization and a Question...

After a little TOO MUCH research, here is what I have come to understand (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Also, when I reference the term "SBR" I will be referring to barrels in the 10"-11.5" range as I believe anything longer than 12" or so is adequate for a 100+ yd gun as far as velocity is concerned...

1) FMJ and HP/OTM use fragmentation as a wounding mechanism, but require a certain velocity in order to fragment reliably.

2) Bonded/Non-Bonded SPs use expansion as a wounding mechanism, and will reliably expand through a larger velocity range meaning lower velocities will still expand

3) SBRs lose alot of velocity = not good for #1 above, so you should stick with 5.56 loads for the extra velocity

4) 5.56 Hornady TAP T2 is the absolute best round that uses fragmentation as a wounding mechanism, but even then it will only give a max effective range of about 48 yds out of a 10.5" barrel...thus limiting it to CQB distances

5) There are a number of "expanding" rounds that will work well out of SBRs, you just have to decide if you want barrier performance or not.

6) All of these "best" loads are FREAKIN expensive!

Personally, I am giving a hard look at the Speer 24448 load for my "extended range, expanding barrier round" and trying to locate some TAP T2 for "CQB range, fragmenting round". I would like to stock up on as much as possible, however with the prices where they are, that might not be feasible to buy in bulk.

Note: Yes, these rounds may still be fatal when shot outside their "effective range", but it is still beneficial to know your ballistics and be prepared with the proper load for the right situation. I do 100% agree there is no substitution for good shot placement...so get out and get some training before worrying about what guns/gear/ammo to buy!

My Question:

Is there a round (in the .30 cent per round price range) of the soft point variety that has adequate expansion out of a 10.5" SBR? It doesn't have to be the "best" round out, just something economical, yet functional, that one could stock in bulk.

The only ballistic testing I can find is on these high dollar rounds...

Hope this helps some people, and thanks in advance for suggestions to my question...
    Last edited by Ironman8; 03-30-11 at 03:57.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post

trying to locate some TAP T2 for "CQB range, fragmenting round". I would like to stock up on as much as possible, however with the prices where they are, that might not be feasible to buy in bulk.
    PM sent...
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    My Question:
    Is there a round (in the .30 cent per round price range) of the soft point variety that has adequate expansion out of a 10.5" SBR? It doesn't have to be the "best" round out, just something economical, yet functional, that one could stock in bulk.
    The only Bonded round that comes to mind available in that range is XM223SP1, nearly identical to the 62gr. Fusion or Gold Dot at half the price. I've bulked up on it for that reason, should be fine out of 10-11.5 barrels.

Feedback Score
    I picked up some HSM-556-17T-N (Hunting Shack 5.56x45 w/ Hornady 75gr OTM) that I plan to test out this spring. It was the closest thing I could find to the 75gr 5.56 Hornady loads.

I'm confident that my 5.56 55gr PPU would get the job done, but there is certainly some compelling evidence in support of the Hornady 75gr loads for business use.
    Last edited by Tactical Joke; 04-26-11 at 22:46.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil1969SS>LS6 View Post
    The only Bonded round that comes to mind available in that range is XM223SP1, nearly identical to the 62gr. Fusion or Gold Dot at half the price. I've bulked up on it for that reason, should be fine out of 10-11.5 barrels.
    I don't know why I just saw this...do you have a source for this? Can't seem to find it online...

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast