Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recce recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Recce recommendations

I'm thinking of doing a Recce, using a Noveske Recon barrel. The lower I was planning on using has a Geissele SSA trigger; it currently has a CTR telestock. Sould I replace the CTR with a UBR? I handled a UBR and it felt pretty heavy- will the improved balance outweigh the increased total weight?
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 10-23-10 at 01:23. Reason: spellin' 'n such
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Centurion Arms build a nice RECCE based on the Mk12 SPR barrel that has been sized to 16 inches.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Any reviews of the Centurion barrel yet?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    lots.. they're excellent barrels.

as far as the stock- are you building a recce for a recce-esque application? if i were to build another recce, i'd stick with an M4 stock... i'm generally all about balance, but with medium profile stainless barrels and long rails, there's not enough stock on earth to "balance" it out. all you're doing is adding more pain.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    I'm thinking of doing a Recce, using a Noveske Recon barrel. The lower I was planning on using has a Geissele SSA trigger; it currently has a CTR telestock. Sould I replace the CTR with a UBR? I handled a UBR and it felt pretty heavy- will the improved balance outweigh the increased total weight?
    I am a big fan of UBRs...but its b/c they bring so much more than any other stock out there other than perhaps a current spec SOPMOD.

The extra weight is in the one location that imho its generally only going to make a gun balance out better, the rear....sure carrying it will be a bit more heavy, but once you shoulder the rifle and get that incredible cheek weld....zero movement at any area on the stock...and to your point lastly, they balance both my SPR and my Recon (pic'd below) perfectly. The main reason why i got hooked on the UBR was the fact that both of my ubrs went on the heavier precision based guns and for this purpose, the UBR is flat out unbeatable and for me at least a gamechanger.

Feedback Score
    I've tried UBRs but I prefer the cheek weld from an LMT SOPMOD or Magpul ACS
    Last edited by esskay; 09-27-11 at 13:22.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    I am a big fan of UBRs...but its b/c they bring so much more than any other stock out there other than perhaps a current spec SOPMOD.
    how is a sopmod different/better than, say, an Emod? I find the cheekweld to be practically identical. is it something else?
    Last edited by ra2bach; 10-23-10 at 11:01.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    how is a sopmod different/better than, say, an Emod? I find the cheekweld to be practically identical. is it something else?
    The cheekweld never moves no matter what what position the stock is in for one, two it locks up every bit as tight as a fixed A2 when in a position, thirdly it allows preset positions, fourthly it has a huge, easily assessable storage capacity.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    The cheekweld never moves no matter what what position the stock is in for one, two it locks up every bit as tight as a fixed A2 when in a position, thirdly it allows preset positions, fourthly it has a huge, easily assessable storage capacity.
    sopmods fit snug on LMT receiver extensions, but so do most quality stocks. i've had sopmods literally rattle on non-LMT REs- especially the tan ones, for some reason.

as to the other three points... huh? the cheekweld moves if the stock moves, on either stock. are you thinking of the UBR?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    sopmods fit snug on LMT receiver extensions, but so do most quality stocks. i've had sopmods literally rattle on non-LMT REs- especially the tan ones, for some reason.

as to the other three points... huh? the cheekweld moves if the stock moves, on either stock. are you thinking of the UBR?
    LOL...indeed I am.....gotta run, short bus is honking out front

reasons why I personally like the sopmod second best would be the actual LMT Rec. Ext, I also like how easily you can pop the actual stock on and off.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 10-24-10 at 01:13.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast