Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recce recommendations

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Okay then the next big choice would be what optic to use.

Many of the Recces I have seen on this site have 1-4X variables, but in another thread I learned this about the original ones:

"The original whatever you want to call them- Recces, SPRs, MK 12s (we usually just say "sniper M4") had a 16" barrel, Leupold 2.5-10 and a PRI foregrip. They were first used operationally in '93 in Somalia by our guys that were attached to our Southern brethren."

Recce users, what say you on this?
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 10-23-10 at 00:12.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    To me a recce and SPR are two very distinct guns.

A recce is able to be used in CQB in a pinch due to the size, and optic. An SPR is a dedicated light sniper platform that would be be a real hindrance in a CQB environment. Accuracy is similar but the application of that accuracy is very different.

I am much more confident in my ability to score hits at range with the SPR than a recce.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to throw in my vote for a Magpul ACS. I put one on my recce set up and it balances quite nicely. I used the 16" centurion light weight barrel.

Without an optic (still saving for a TR 24) and unloaded, the balance sits about an inch in front of the trigger guard, right in the magwell.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd say ACS or EMOD with BCM Stickers over the gap. Both have a bit more weight (can be added to with batteries in the storage), which will tame muzzle-heaviness if you want to go that route.

That said, I'm running a preproduction UBR on my Centurion Mk12
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    I am a big fan of UBRs...but its b/c they bring so much more than any other stock out there other than perhaps a current spec SOPMOD.
    how is a sopmod different/better than, say, an Emod? I find the cheekweld to be practically identical. is it something else?
    Last edited by ra2bach; 10-23-10 at 11:01.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    how is a sopmod different/better than, say, an Emod? I find the cheekweld to be practically identical. is it something else?
    The cheekweld never moves no matter what what position the stock is in for one, two it locks up every bit as tight as a fixed A2 when in a position, thirdly it allows preset positions, fourthly it has a huge, easily assessable storage capacity.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    The cheekweld never moves no matter what what position the stock is in for one, two it locks up every bit as tight as a fixed A2 when in a position, thirdly it allows preset positions, fourthly it has a huge, easily assessable storage capacity.
    sopmods fit snug on LMT receiver extensions, but so do most quality stocks. i've had sopmods literally rattle on non-LMT REs- especially the tan ones, for some reason.

as to the other three points... huh? the cheekweld moves if the stock moves, on either stock. are you thinking of the UBR?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The max range my Recce would be used at would be 600m. Is the 1-4X enough for that?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    sopmods fit snug on LMT receiver extensions, but so do most quality stocks. i've had sopmods literally rattle on non-LMT REs- especially the tan ones, for some reason.

as to the other three points... huh? the cheekweld moves if the stock moves, on either stock. are you thinking of the UBR?
    LOL...indeed I am.....gotta run, short bus is honking out front

reasons why I personally like the sopmod second best would be the actual LMT Rec. Ext, I also like how easily you can pop the actual stock on and off.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 10-24-10 at 01:13.

Feedback Score
    Centurion makes a great barrel. I have their cl barrel so it's a little different than what you want. But, Centurion is on the same level as any top top tier barrel manufacture.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast