Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Modern 9mm Loads" not on "The List"

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Still haven't tested the Federal P9HST1?

Just asking cause there seems to be plenty of this round in stock and the P9HST2 has been out for a long time it seems.

Feedback Score
    Probably plenty in stock because no one wants it. What is your reasoning in not just using the venerable +P???

OP from 2010 if Doc has PDX1 147 same as RA9B then I think the 124 +P may be equivalent to the RA9BA that he did test. I have plenty plenty of PDX1 but no ballistic gel so my testing would be quite useless.

Feedback Score
    Doc, is RA9BA ok or not?

I've seen results of your tests on RA9BA in a few threads and it seems to have acceptable penetration. However, only the non bonded (I think) RA9124TP is listed in your recommended list, the RA9BA isn't listed.

Is RA9BA a recommended load?

Even if yes to the above, do you prefer the non-bonded Ranger T's to the bonded version in 124 +P?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    With all due respect. If it's not on the list he either hasn't tested it or its not recommended. Stick with a load on the list for best performance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KCabbage View Post
    With all due respect. If it's not on the list he either hasn't tested it or its not recommended. Stick with a load on the list for best performance.

Where can I find this "list"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by globeguy View Post
    Where can I find this "list"?
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Feedback Score
    RA9BA is fine and is on the list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    RA9BA is fine and is on the list.
    I looked at your stickied duty rounds thread twice, because I was sure when I decided on that being my current carry round that it was based on your list. Twice I looked yesterday and this morning, before posting the question. Note to self, don't try and tasks more complicated than tying my shoe when I have a two day long headache...

Doc, one other question. I know bonded is better for barrier penetration, and even in a home defense situation you and others have discussed the possible need to shoot through a barrier if a intruder is behind a wall.

That said, we all know penetration of walls (bullet leaving the house) in a home defense situation is a concern. Is there any 9mm or .40 pistol round that has adequate gel penetration but is less likely than others to penetrate walls? I'm pretty sure from what I've read, the answer is no, but figured I would ask.

Also, in terms of over-penetration of walls, is either bonded or non-bonded better than the other (for lack of penetration through walls)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KCabbage View Post
    With all due respect -- I love when people say that, because it typically is meant with ANYTHING but respect -- RA9BA is clearly on "the list", based on Doc's post.

Ironically this morning I noticed that I had a browser tab opened from when I DOUBLED CHECKED Doc's stickied thread "Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations", looking for RA9BA, BEFORE posting my question in this thread. That tab still had the "Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations" thread open with how it looked yesterday morning.

To my surprise, and realizing it wasn't my headache affecting my eyesight, RA9BA was NOT listed in that sticky yesterday morning when I asked the question. I asked the question, because as I indicated, I had remembered it being a recommended round and had seen Doc post gel data on it several times.

With all due respect, rather than making snide comments by people asking questions that will help themselves and others, maybe next time you should consider NOT clicking "Submit Reply" if you don't have anything constructive to add and just want to take a veiled shot at someone.

See the attached image of the the sticky without RA9BA in it yesterday.

Doc, sorry for polluting your forum with this and THANK YOU for your response and updating the sticky with RA9BA and for all the info you share with us. You are one of the best and most generous resources on the web when it comes to ballistics and home defense.
    Last edited by tnedator; 03-06-12 at 08:17.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast