Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NFA laws on possession and SBR changing lengths ?.(done deal pics showin.)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm still new to this NFA/Title II thing (my first SBR is approved but still unfinished) but I was under the impression that you only had to notify the ATF if you make any permanent modifications to the weapon as it is listed on your Form 1. Since swapping an upper is not considered a permanent modification, do you really need to worry about it?

I'm aware that you can always CYA by sending them a notification/addendum/whatever that says what additional new barrel-length uppers you acquire. I'm guessing they just add that paperwork to your file. Is that a good idea? Or is that unnecessary?

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I sent a letter to ATF for each of my SBRs telling them other barrel lengths that I'll ever use on them. They sent back a confirmation. It may not be required but what's it gonna hurt?
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I sent a letter to ATF for each of my SBRs telling them other barrel lengths that I'll ever use on them. They sent back a confirmation. It may not be required but what's it gonna hurt?
    Do you send those to the same Martinsburg, WV address as the Form 1's?

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It used to be possible to register an SBR with rather vague terminology like "under 16 inches", and people would do that to cover their ass if they wanted to swap out their uppers to various lengths. Lately (as in, the last couple of years) the ATF has cracked down on this and you must put an actual barrel length in the box.
    I've been doing this for the past year - last one was approved just about a month ago (and in only 11 days). From what I've heard, the ATF is actually approving more forms like this than they did in the past.

Frankly though, I've never understood why people would want to change out to multiple different barrel lengths all on the same lower. I guess it's a cost issue with paying the $200 to register additonal lowers?
    While I can't speak for everyone, flexibility is the main reason for me. I don't do it because I plan on having 15 uppers for the same lower, but needs and wants change after time. The last lower that I SBR'ed is setup in a 9mm configuration. Maybe a year or two from now I decide that I don't want an extra 9mm gun anymore and I decide to change it to a 6.8 SPC. If I only listed one caliber and length on my Form 1, then "technically" I'd be stuck with a lower that should only be used in that specific configuration - whereas with the "not so specific" info, I'm pretty much free to do as I please.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You DO NOT need to go through another lower and another registration process just to use a shorter upper. You SHOULD write them the letter they ask for though any time you change whether it be shorter or longer I suppose.

Rob- what are you doing with three 14.5" uppers? hanging onto them for kicks? I wouldn't see a problem with that as long as you don't have one SBR lower and two 'regular' lowers with no uppers and wear marks on the mounting points

Feedback Score
    One trick for next time - for length and barrel size just put "under 26 inches" and "under 16."

I also put 5.56mm/9mm/6.8mm so if I ever want a different caliber upper, I'm covered.
    It is just about added flexibility. If you can do it, why not? This way if for some reason, I ever want or need to throw on a different upper, I'm covered.

Remember, the lower receiver is the actual firearm, and is the only thing registered. I believe you can switch barrel lengths to whatever you want. An SBR is a rifle with a barrel length of under 16" or overall length under 26, " so once you have a tax stamp for an SBR, you should be good to go. I can't say for absolute certainty however, so I'd call NFA

They're actually very helpful and can answer your question for sure.

NFA Branch 304 616-4500

ETA:

Someone was asking about registered drop in auto sears. If the sear is registered, it is the "machine gun" itself. You can put it in a post 1986 upper and still be legal. However, I believe they cost around $10,000 - $15,000 last I heard, so you might as well just buy a pre 1986 M16.
    http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html
    Again, check with the ATF first.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotalawdog View Post
    One trick for next time - for length and barrel size just put "under 26 inches" and "under 16."

I also put 5.56mm/9mm/6.8mm so if I ever want a different caliber upper, I'm covered.
    It is just about added flexibility. If you can do it, why not? This way if for some reason, I ever want or need to throw on a different upper, I'm covered.

Remember, the lower receiver is the actual firearm, and is the only thing registered. I believe you can switch barrel lengths to whatever you want. An SBR is a rifle with a barrel length of under 16" or overall length under 26, " so once you have a tax stamp for an SBR, you should be good to go. I can't say for absolute certainty however, so I'd call NFA

They're actually very helpful and can answer your question for sure.

NFA Branch 304 616-4500

ETA:

Someone was asking about registered drop in auto sears. If the sear is registered, it is the "machine gun" itself. You can put it in a post 1986 upper and still be legal. However, I believe they cost around $10,000 - $15,000 last I heard, so you might as well just buy a pre 1986 M16.
    http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html
    Again, check with the ATF first.
    We addressed all of your comments on generic sizes and anymore, you can't just put generic numbers in all of the spaces to CYA in every manner. You need to put specifics that you can add to at a later point in time.

Feedback Score

Thanks for your help guys.

Feedback Score
    !!!
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell--

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, Rob, flip those sights around.

The rear for sure- the adjustments won't work right if you don't.

Nice though!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast