Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading 14.5

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I would also suggest going BCM instead of CMMG. The quality of BCM products is top of the line. They will install pretty much any rail you'd like, and can perm your flash suppressor. If you're dead set on doing it yourself, I'd go with the DD Omega, or the Troy that extends past the FSB, since they both go on without having to disassemble the upper.

I also have to disagree with the comment that the FF is pointless on a 14.5 with FSB. While it doesn't suit my tastes, because I prefer to run rifle tubes on my carbines so that I can extend my support hand farther forward, I still think the FF feature is valuble. I don't have numerical data to spit in your direction, but it doesn't take as much force as one would think to cause POA/POI shifts when objects exert forces on your barrel. If your rifle will not be used hard, and just for shooting dots on a flat range, then it probably won't be an issue. But if you start running your gun hard, under stress, and do any barricade shooting, you will notice shifts in your POI if you don't FF the barrel.

I used to be of the opinion that it was pointless to FF anything but a precision rig, until I started doing real shooting with a carbine.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I would definitelyt go with a BCM over CMMG.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I went with a CMMG because I wanted the SOCOM profile - at this point that's the only major selling point about it that I like. Running an LMT BCG in it helps, but I'd still take a BCM over from scratch - though my CMMG has been flawless, and very accurate so far.

As far as rails - I really like my TROY MRF-DI - a great rail, but the DD Omega would be an upgrade - if budget is an absolute restriction, the TROY MRF-C(x) can be chosen instead.

That said, if you can start from scratch, you wouldn't be any less happy starting with a FF rail installed prior to pinning it (a 7.0 Lite, 12.0 FSP (Like the OmegaX), or 9.5FSP would work; LT 7.0), or going with a FF rail over low profile gas block, in which case the options are very much open.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Just a little thought here:

The most popular change that shooters make on their guns after they gain proficiency and experience is to shave the FSB and put on a long rail, for more than a few good reasons. Doing this with a pinned FH is cost-prohibitive.

Yes, there are rails with cut-outs for the FSB, but all they really do is allow the shooter to move lights more forward, the FSB still prevents the shooter from using the (subjectively) favored point for gripping the HG unless grip is compromised.

Just a thought.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score

Best FF HG for under $200

IMO You can not go wrong with Midwest Industries MCTAR-20 hand guards. They are free floating. Easy to install. Much like Troy or Samson HGs all that is required for install is t cut off the delta ring assembly. Most dealers have the price of the MCTAR-20s at around $163.00 From MI direct they are at $184 and change. Very easy to install and are rock solid.
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_id=244

The DD omega 7.0 are also a great option, maybe save a little extra $$ and go with the DDs. Extremely easy to install, remove plastic HGs and bolt on the Omega. Not cutting required.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    does anyone know if the DD EZ rails will appear in mid-length?

Feedback Score
    TROY MRF-DI.....Can't go wrong with this excellent rail. If you want you can remove it and try something else (it's 'drop-in' without any mods to the gun) but once mounted it is absolutely rock-solid. Really well done with QD swivel points front & rear on both sides of the rail. BEST drop-in rail on the market IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12