Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best barrel length for SBR, 10.5, 11.5, 12.5..?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Best barrel length for SBR, 10.5, 11.5, 12.5..?

What is the most popular length barrel for a SBR? What length do you like and why? I know they are very loud, but does a 10.5 pop much louder than a 12.5? How much does the Noveske Pig help.

If I went the simple route and bought a BCM upper in the $500 range and put a Pig on it, what length do you think best?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    if you want the shortest OAL you're restricted to a few high quality barrels. if not, options widen a little bit.

First question is: Are you ever going to put a sound suppressor on this gun?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Pretty common question.

As said above first do you plan to ever add a suppressor?

Yes: 10.5" are good for that due to smaller OAL with the can, but velocities suffer slightly

No: 11.5" or 12.5" with the consensus being 12.5" being a bit better with velocities if you dont mind the extra inch.

I was originally going 10.5", following the "if you are going through the trouble of an SBR go as short as possible" mantra. However after being on the fence about suppression and being used to using 16" barrels the last 15 years I figured Id take Stickman and others advise and sent off the paperwork for a 12.5" barrel.

However in the meantime I have fallen in love with the looks of the OPS collars and great reviews of there suppressors, so looks like a can is in my future anyway. With a 15th can with a 12.5" Ill still be around 16" from what Ive been told.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    12.5"

If you are considering the KX3 on a 10.5, you might as well get the 12.5" and have a "regular" muzzle device and get the extra velocity.

Rifles are all loud anyway. I tend to double up when shooting (plugs and muffs).

Feedback Score
    I have a Noveske N4 barreled 10.5 as well as the Noveske Crusader 12.5". The 12.5 is my favorite of all my AR's and is my go to gun. If you plan on running a KX3 (I don't on the 10.5) then you might as well go with a 12.5 with a traditional muzzle device. KX3's make for a more pleasant shooting for those with you. Though I don't believe them to be a necessity for 10.5" SBR's as far a functionality.

12.5" seems to be the best compromise between velocity and compactness. The Noveske Crusader barrel has shown with certain loads to meet or exceed velocities of a 14.5" C/L barrel.
    Last edited by User Name; 05-20-10 at 16:06.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin 1759

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    [QUOTE=m249saw;659971]Pretty common question.

As said above first do you plan to ever add a suppressor?

Yea, I may add a suppressor later. Sounds like the 12.5 might be the ticket. And if I get a second, I could make it a 10.5.

Thanks for the replies.

pb

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A lot of first timers get a 10.5" upper first. I find them to be obnoxious. They are great for general range days when you want a lot of flash and bang for show and tell.

Today, I prefer a 12 to 13 inch barrel. I like the better ballistics and feel better about not sand blasting a suppressor with unburned powder. I'm not deploying my rifle under cover or out of a car so, the extra ~2 inches doesn't really hurt the compactness IMHO. I do like the mid-length gas systems over the carbine gas system for normal range days so, a 14.5" mid-length gas system is nice.

The KX-3 is a nice range toy for me but, I find it to be too heavy and as others have noted will trade its weight and length for more barrel.
    Last edited by Sid Post; 05-20-10 at 18:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i got a 10.5, but was wondering if a can would work with 7.5 barrel.

thanks

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Without the can, a 11.5" or 12.5" is going to be most comfortable.
    If you plan on suppressing this upper down the road, but want to use it as-is, the 11.5" has an advantage, but the performance of the 12.5" is the best compromise ballistically.

Sid makes a good point - if you're not working out of a confined space with it, a couple inches of OAL isn't going to make a very significant difference. In a vehicle, and with a can hanging off the end, you'll notice the weight more.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tobasco View Post
    i got a 10.5, but was wondering if a can would work with 7.5 barrel.

thanks
    Yes but many silencers warranties are not covered if used on a barrel less than 10".

_ My 12.5" is my one and only SBR. Really like it.
    Last edited by LonghunterCO; 05-20-10 at 19:58. Reason: to add SBR info

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast