Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield MC Operator vs. TRP?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Springfield MC Operator vs. TRP?

So after much reading I thought I had settled on getting a MC Operator but it's still not quite how I would really want it, mainly just because I want some front strap checkering as well as color etc.

Looking at the TRP though, it has everything I would want in a 1911 and I keep hearing great things about them.

But im getting conflicting info reading articles from people like Hilton Yam and Larry Vickers who say to stick with a standard barrel & bushing.

I also know that adjustable sights are not preferred for serious use guns and I don't have any problem running them till they break, but what are some of the upgrade options for the TRP in the event that they do break?

Basically I'm wondering if getting the TRP would be worth it over the MC OP after I've done all of the modifications that I want on it.

FYI this will be a hard use gun, I don't have a need for range toys, and I understand the implications of choosing to use a 1911.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 20 LPI checkering on the TRP is pretty sharp. Have you held one before?

I have owned both guns in the past. I personally preferred the MC Operator. The rail soaks up a bit more recoil, as that gun is heavier.

I also like the Pachmeyer grips on the Mc operator. So much so that I have them on my 2 current 1911s, despite them having texturing on the front strap (chainlink on 1, and 25 LPI hand checkering on the other)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was in the same boat as you several years ago and went with the TRP Operator. While the TRP is a good gun; I would have been better served getting the MC Operator instead. I replaced the factory bull barrel with a Kart NM setup with traditional bushing, FLGR with a GI setup, replaced the ambi-safety, replaced the fire control group, changed the stocks, and installed an extended mag release. While I was able to sell the barrel and FLGR off; if I had gone with the MC Operator, I would have saved money in the long run.

Feedback Score
    If you are not tied to having a rail, there is a version of the TRP that uses a standard barrel and bushing.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    NCPatrolAR,

Why did you end up replacing everything? Were you having issues with the bull barrel?

Also, having the rail is one of my requirements. I have a old Kimber TLE II that I bought 5 years ago and since have figured out what I want in a 1911. I've never held a gun with 20lpi frontstrap checkering so I'll have to give it a try. If I was to go with the MC Op, I'd have either 25lpi or 30lpi done to it. I would assume that the frame would also need to be refinished so id get that done in armorykote black. As for the grips, I'm thinking a pair of gunner grips would fit the bill. I think the pachmyer grips would be to "squishy" for my tastes. Other than that, I'd also need to get a magwell fitted.
    Last edited by nrose8989; 05-21-10 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nrose8989 View Post
    NCPatrolAR,

Why did you end up replacing everything? Were you having issues with the bull barrel?
    No issues with the bull barrel; I just prefer a barrel with a bushing. As for the other things; they were all personal preference......they gun worked fine as it came from Springfield.

Feedback Score
    If you want or need a rail go with the MC Operator. I doubt the front strap checkering is really that important and the TRP's is too sharp anyway. I don't like Pachymar grips and I used them for years on USMC issued pistols. I also don't like the TRP barrel/bushing setup at all. There are TRP with adjustable sights but also with standard Novak or Novak style sights. Plenty of people are happy with their TRP's but at that price range I would be casting a wider field. Les Baer for one. MC Operators are pretty hard to find so hopefully you have a handle on where you can get one.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    If you want or need a rail go with the MC Operator. I doubt the front strap checkering is really that important and the TRP's is too sharp anyway. I don't like Pachymar grips and I used them for years on USMC issued pistols. I also don't like the TRP barrel/bushing setup at all. There are TRP with adjustable sights but also with standard Novak or Novak style sights. Plenty of people are happy with their TRP's but at that price range I would be casting a wider field. Les Baer for one. MC Operators are pretty hard to find so hopefully you have a handle on where you can get one.

Yup.

I unfortunately had to recently part with my MC Operator.

It was a great handgun, went through several classes and always performed 100%.

The checkering on the TRP's is waaaaay too sharp.

I had a set of Gunner grips on mine and believe me, I didn't need the front strap checkered.

I think you'd probably be best served with the MC Operator. There are very valid reasons that the top 1911 guys in the world don't recommend the bushingless bull barrel systems.

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Ack. Even though I have sworn off buying any new 1911's if I were to run across one of those in a shop I would probably snag it. Used to see them all the time here in Phoenix but not for awhile now. I think demand has way outstripped supply. But I practically trip over all the TRP's I see in shops. I'm puzzled that Springfield has not figure out that so many of their potential customers don't like the TRP barrel setup and change it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    Ack. Even though I have sworn off buying any new 1911's if I were to run across one of those in a shop I would probably snag it. Used to see them all the time here in Phoenix but not for awhile now. I think demand has way outstripped supply. But I practically trip over all the TRP's I see in shops. I'm puzzled that Springfield has not figure out that so many of their potential customers don't like the TRP barrel setup and change it.

They do make good eye candy, don't they.......

They also shoot very well with the barrel that Springfield supplies with them.....

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast