Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Springfield MC Operator vs. TRP?

Feedback Score
    Of course, anyone would. There is the little issue of them costing over twice as much though. Like many others i have had high dollar 1911's with issues out of the box. At this point I wold rather buy something like an MC Operator, put 4 or 500 rounds through it looking for egregious issues, then send it in for reliability and fit check, change sights and a few other things.
    Last edited by HK45; 05-21-10 at 16:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    Of course, anyone would. There is the little issue of them costing over twice as much though.

You beat me to it. Sure, I'd take a Wilson too, but for $1200 the MC Operator is still one of the best buys in the 1911 genre, IMHO.

Of course, I'm no self proclaimed expert just because I read 10-8 forums or subscribe to Hilton Yamm word for word.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    the mc oper use to cost $800 when i was looking at them. should ve bought one.............

Feedback Score
    "Of course, I'm no self proclaimed expert just because I read 10-8 forums or subscribe to Hilton Yamm word for word."
    Neither am I, although I have been lucky to have had assignments where I traveled around both our country and other parts of the world and was able to observe what other units and agencies used and assess how their weapon systems were functioning. In my experience, to date, the most mature, proven, and refined 1911 variant readily available to the public is the SA Pro model, as I noted earlier.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 05-21-10 at 20:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    The 20 LPI checkering on the TRP is pretty sharp. Have you held one before?

I have owned both guns in the past. I personally preferred the MC Operator. The rail soaks up a bit more recoil, as that gun is heavier.

I also like the Pachmeyer grips on the Mc operator. So much so that I have them on my 2 current 1911s, despite them having texturing on the front strap (chainlink on 1, and 25 LPI hand checkering on the other)

+1.

the points of the 20LPI checkering on the TRP aren't taken down toa comfortable level (for me anyway). it's like mediaeval torture device

for about $1,100, it's hard to beat the value of the MC.

either one is a great choice though. it's just preference. i have a champion operator with a bull barrel, and it's the most accurate 1911 i've ever fired.

Feedback Score
    140 (100%)
    Holy thread resurrection Batman! I see why they state to use the Orange Search button and not the grey one..
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    I was in the same boat as you several years ago and went with the TRP Operator. While the TRP is a good gun; I would have been better served getting the MC Operator instead. I replaced the factory bull barrel with a Kart NM setup with traditional bushing, FLGR with a GI setup, replaced the ambi-safety, replaced the fire control group, changed the stocks, and installed an extended mag release. While I was able to sell the barrel and FLGR off; if I had gone with the MC Operator, I would have saved money in the long run.
    Now to my question; did the Kart NM setup with traditional bushing drop right in? I'm asking because I'm looking at a TRP locally but would like to be able to install a standard barrel/bushing but couldn't find anywhere if the slide was cut to accept a bushing or not and from hours of google searching you appear to be the only person I could find that has replaced the barrel in their TRP.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123