Thread: Basic pistol technique question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Basic pistol technique question

It's apparent that modern doctrine supports the use of an isosceles style. For those who use that style, when you drive the pistol forward, do you fully straighten both arms outward or leave them 'bent'?

On your reloads, do you keep the gun up and on target, or pull back slightly into a 'workspace'?

VMI-MO Guest
    1) Fully extended outward. I am by no means hyperextending my elbows, but there is no noticeable bend in them

2) Bring the weapon into your workspace. Pretend like you are reading the ingriedients on a soup can in a grocery store. Whre do you have it???? About 8"-10" in front of your face.

PJ

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks much-

Do you also change your visual focus to your weapon during the reload, or use your peripheral vision while keeping your eyes on the target? I'm of the opinion that peripheral vision would disappear under extreme duress, but the alternative of taking your eyes off the target sucks too. Is depending on muscle memory the solution?

VMI-MO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyPistolero View Post
    Thanks much-

Do you also change your visual focus to your weapon during the reload, or use your peripheral vision while keeping your eyes on the target? I'm of the opinion that peripheral vision would disappear under extreme duress, but the alternative of taking your eyes off the target sucks too. Is depending on muscle memory the solution?
    I find myself looking through the triggerwell and the area around it it at the threat.

I primarily stay focused on the threat, until my hand is at the base of my mag well. At that time I throw a split glance down at where the magazine and magazine well are meeting. Once I have begun to insert the mag, my focus goes back to the threat.

The threat will always be my main area of focus except for that split 10th of a second where my focus goes to the magwell even then it is still in my periphreals.

Alot of new shooters love to do reloads bent over and looking down at their beltline, or they love to do weapons manipulations at full extension. Both of which are not good.

PJ

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the clarifications, these were my feelings but I wanted to make sure they were proper, generally speaking.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VMI-MO View Post
    I find myself looking through the triggerwell and the area around it it at the threat.

I primarily stay focused on the threat, until my hand is at the base of my mag well. At that time I throw a split glance down at where the magazine and magazine well are meeting. Once I have begun to insert the mag, my focus goes back to the threat.

The threat will always be my main area of focus except for that split 10th of a second where my focus goes to the magwell even then it is still in my periphreals.

Alot of new shooters love to do reloads bent over and looking down at their beltline, or they love to do weapons manipulations at full extension. Both of which are not good.

PJ
    I like this advice. Don't need to watch the mag all the way, only need to watch it enough to make sure its going where it needs to go.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Another question:

When drawing your pistol, who favors driving the pistol straight towards the target( a-la Jeff Cooper), and who rotates it up and pointed at the target, and then drives it forward (a-la Clint Smith)?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Arms pushed out with a slight bend in the elbows

Reloads and malfunction clearing are done in the work space.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VMI-MO View Post
    1) Fully extended outward. I am by no means hyperextending my elbows, but there is no noticeable bend in them

2) Bring the weapon into your workspace. Pretend like you are reading the ingriedients on a soup can in a grocery store. Whre do you have it???? About 8"-10" in front of your face.

PJ

That is what I have been taught. One mistake I had been making, but was recently corrected on, was holding my pistol too low during reloads. You keep the pistol in front of your face, target level, so you are not caught looking down. The target is in your peripheral vision.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyPistolero View Post
    It's apparent that modern doctrine supports the use of an isosceles style. For those who use that style, when you drive the pistol forward, do you fully straighten both arms outward or leave them 'bent'?

On your reloads, do you keep the gun up and on target, or pull back slightly into a 'workspace'?
    I press out until I feel the habituated reference point....any further and I get an uncomfortable sensation in my elbow and muscle.
    I dont lock my elbows but I do lock the mucscles and connective tissues around the elbow joint all while pressing out with the firing arm and pulling in with the support arm.

On relaods, I roll the gun over in front of my "adams apple" but slightly right or left depending on which is the firing hand and the palms are up as if I was holding a book 1 handed or about to dring from a bowl. This way I can still scan my perimeter without fixating on the gun or the mag until the rounds are an inch away from the well then for a split secong I verify everything is gtg before inserting and going to the ready or pressing out.
    I sweep my mags from thier holder and do not even take one peek until the mag is below my face in my peripheral vision.
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"