Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Gear and Employment Considerations for LE

Feedback Score

Re: Gear and Employment Considerations for LE

My agency only issues 56 rounds of duty 5.56 ammo. 62gr gold dot. So any extra ammo used, while it may save lives, is on my head.

I already have a hit vest b/c of my assignment. But I also have a ditch bag. Ammo, water, batteries grease pencil, basic 1st aid...stuff like that.

6 AR magazines is a lot in my opinion...for me. But I would not begrudge a fellow LEO for carrying it.
    "Seriously?" -SWATcop556

"I don't think so" - Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB326 View Post
    I got my banshee from LAPolice Gear on a black Friday deal... It was back ordered and finally came in last week.

Not to derail the thread any further, but I was ignorant of the Drega incident... I'm sincerely sorry for the loss of those involved, but I will never fear being killed over writing someone a ticket for a rusted tailgate, if the true story is as I read it. That is a real shame.
    Better account.

http://www.terrymartin.us/Terror.htm

The ticket was the final "straw" he had a long history.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I talked to a cop last year who was there. He was taking cover under his car and either ME or NH State Police was marching in formation to the sound of the guns! The last time that happened in New England was likely the revolutionary war!
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Not sure if it had been mentioned in earlier posts (didn't have time to read all 8 pages) but I can thing of several instances where the police could have used more ammo than they had. One is the North Hollywood shoot out and another is the FBI shoot out with the bank robbers in Florida. Better safe than sorry and by sorry I mean sitting behind a tree or vehicle out of ammo and nobody close enough to throw you a mag.

My background is I am a retired LEO with 15 years on SWAT and 8 years as a sniper. I say carry as much as you want and comfortable as you are sitting in the confined space of a patrol vehicle. I was full time SWAT and had an unmarked vehicle and carried 6 total Glock 35 mags and 6 AR mags on me (unless I deployed as a sniper).

Just my .02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I talked to a cop last year who was there. He was taking cover under his car and either ME or NH State Police was marching in formation to the sound of the guns! The last time that happened in New England was likely the revolutionary war!
    I had a wait a while for my Banshee, too. The Drega incident - and all the other "big city crimes" that take place in small towns sometimes - have influenced me in tactics and kit. I'm sure no "tier one" operator as mentioned by the OP but I'm the only LEO I know of in my AO that carries a tourniquet and a supply of "bloodstoppers" ie. advanced trauma care items. I was tactically prepared when a resident introduced his hand deeply into the blades of a spinning impeller last summer.... but I digress. I wont be in formation, semper fi Vet, I'll be in the bushes with my long gun, like my Revolutionary war fighters.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    SF 870. You should have seen the look on the cops face as he told me about the marching. I made him repeat himself at least once. If I remember right ME & NH tactical teams were conducting a joint training nearby, I don't remember if VT was there too but they stopped training, loaded up and responded. I never did hear who finally ended the fight.

Wikipedia says:

NH state trooper Charles West ended the battle when he hit Drega in the neck with a 12 gauge shotgun slug.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Drega

http://murderpedia.org/male.D/d/drega-carl.htm
    Last edited by usmcvet; 01-25-13 at 11:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been called "Tackleberry" by a few fellow officers... I just smile

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 870pilot View Post
    I've been called "Tackleberry" by a few fellow officers... I just smile
    Everybody wanna be like mike!

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516