Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus Judge: The latest ill-conceived self defense weapon that's selling like crazy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When Taurus hangs a laser and red dot sight on the Judge, I'll jump up and buy one, and when I do, I'll send it off for the best accuracy job money can buy. Until then, I'll stick with my flare pistol and molotov cocktails.

williejc

Feedback Score
    Call me strange, but I can actually see a plausible use for the Taurus Judge.

It actually does a reasonable job for being a snake gun. So if one has a need for dispatching rattlesnakes, then it can work.

I agree that it is a poor self-defense weapon against human assailants. The .45 colt load works well for that role, but there's plenty of other good choices than a 5-shot long cylinder revolver for self defense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Plain_T. View Post
    Call me strange, but I can actually see a plausible use for the Taurus Judge.

It actually does a reasonable job for being a snake gun. So if one has a need for dispatching rattlesnakes, then it can work.

I agree that it is a poor self-defense weapon against human assailants. The .45 colt load works well for that role, but there's plenty of other good choices than a 5-shot long cylinder revolver for self defense.
    You're correct: It does look like a good snake gun - I should have mentioned that. My complaint was solely directed at marketing as a self-defense weapon.

CCI used to make those shotshells (they may still) in pistol calibers, but the .410 would be much superior in performance for pest control.

Feedback Score
    I'll stick with my flare pistol and molotov cocktails.
    Hmmm, perhaps if they could develop an effective .410 flare cartridge, it would make a good boat gun also capable of repelling pirates and downing seagulls for food after rations run out.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The only Judge that was cool was something Pontiac made in '69 and rumor has it that it was originally marketed as a joke. Maybe Taurus is just joking as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Sweet baby Jebus, what is that shell loaded with, Cheetos?
    Too funny!
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    The 18.5" bbl Rossi (Taurus) Circuit Judge shotgun (http://www.rossiusa.com/news-detail.cfm?newsID=25), loaded with 5 rounds of Federal PD412JGE 000 buck (4 pellets @1200 fps) or Remington 410B00HD 00 buck (4 pellets @ 1300 fps) appears to be a reasonable HD shotgun choice for those who aren't shooting enthusiasts. No need to clear stoppages, no chance of short stroking a pump action, moderate recoil.
    Last edited by Shawn Dodson; 05-24-10 at 20:49.
    Shawn Dodson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    The 18.5" bbl Rossi (Taurus) Circuit Judge shotgun (http://www.rossiusa.com/news-detail.cfm?newsID=25), loaded with 5 rounds of Federal PD412JGE 000 buck (4 pellets @1200 fps) or Remington 410B00HD 00 buck (4 pellets @ 1300 fps) appears to be a reasonable HD shotgun choice for those who aren't shooting enthusiasts. No need to clear stoppages, no chance of short stroking a pump action, moderate recoil.
    Well, as long as it's a .410, it sucks for self-defense.

.45 Long Colt LRN still has better ballistics than .410 slugs. There is nothing you can put in a .410 that will be a decent self-defense load.

So why not get a .45LC revolver, or revolving rifle (Last time I checked Taylor's still imported one) instead, and have something that's shorter, handier and more accurate?

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    One of the reasons it's so popular is that last year NRA named it the handgun of the year.

Now according to the equation Below(and I'm not saying this is correct it just seems to me to be the way it is.)

KNOWN FACTORS

NRA= Goodness/ authority/ 2nd Amendment Pied Piper

Majority of Gun Buyers (AKA- MGB's)= Internet gun forum junkies/ not inclined to get training/ go for the CDI factor (Chicks Dig It).

Mass Marketing (AKA- MM)= Shiny paged magazines & The internet.

Coherent/ Informed Gun Owners (AKA- CI).

SO:
    NRA + MGB's + MM / CI = ?

Well if we take the equation and work it by adding the three main parts and deviding it buy those of us who are intellectually sober possibly even savvy firearms enthusiasts we get:

NRA + MGB's + MM / CI= Waiting lists at gun shops for a firearm with limited usefulness and a fever to buy these things similar to that of a middle school teenage girl trying to buy tickets to a Lady Gaga concert.

NOW all that said...... I will confess that I did actually buy one of these years ago when they were first released with the intention of using it as a general carry around the property type thing/ maybe for hunting as a side arm etc.

I did it because my local gun shop guy says "Hey man you gotta get one of these. They're pretty bad ass." So I had the $400 bucks and rather than buy ammo which is why I was in there, I figure ahh F'ck it. Why not?

Shortly (an hour or 2) there after I'm wondering WTF? this thing is a bitch to shoot. It's not very accurate, 45LC is a suck round and .410 isn't any better.

OH! And I still needed to pick up the .223 ammo that I originally went to get. So now I have a crap gun and no ammo for an up coming training event.

Hey I never said i was a genius ok.

Anyways.... That's kinda my take on the "Judge."

Feel free to disagree.

PS...... Yes I sold it..... and for more than I paid.......That's how bad some people fell for this thing.
    Last edited by Pathfinder Ops; 05-25-10 at 11:04. Reason: Added a PS
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Our gun shop can not keep these things in stock. They fly out the door. The clientele that buy these guns can not be swayed either. I stopped trying to point Judge customers in a different direction because they are just DEAD SET on owning one of these.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
    Apparently, the latest Guns & Ammo has a glowing review of this ammo where they state the discs penetrate to 10.5" in ballistic gelatin (I find that dubious), none of the BBs beyond 5.5", and the shot spreads out to the diameter of a face in 10ft (Look ma! No aiming required!).
    The gun is a novelty at best. My thoughts on that rnd from Winchester was the same, i bet the terminal ballistics are far from ideal. Not buying the flat round discs would have needed penetration. I hope DocGR et al addresses the rnd at some point, but emotions and marketing trump hard data and facts for most people, thus why the gun sells at all.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast