Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus Judge: The latest ill-conceived self defense weapon that's selling like crazy

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Just for what it's worth go here: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

I know this guy's stuff isn't exactly science but he certainly brings up some good stuff.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    The clientele that buy these guns can not be swayed either. I stopped trying to point Judge customers in a different direction because they are just DEAD SET on owning one of these.
    That's another factor. I haven't met someone who wants one that can be talked into something else.

You can talk, inform, argue till you are blue in the face, they will NOT see the light.

And, worse, they are off to infect the next victim. Like the stupid ****s that tried to get to my protege (I know a lady who is shaping up to be a full fledged gun nut, and she's doing very well in shooting, got her CCW, owns a .22 rifle). She's now looking for a CCW pistol and some of her idiot family members and neighbors (who own guns but never shoot them...see a pattern?) are urging her to that POS Judge, and I'm doing my damndest to counter 'em and telling her why It's A Bad Idea All Around.
    I'm no expert, but I took my CCW course at a Holiday Inn Express

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    The gun is a novelty at best. My thoughts on that rnd from Winchester was the same, i bet the terminal ballistics are far from ideal. Not buying the flat round discs would have needed penetration. I hope DocGR et al addresses the rnd at some point, but emotions and marketing trump hard data and facts for most people, thus why the gun sells at all.
    They are amazingly resilient to logic, are they not? ZOMG! Shotgun shells in a revolver! MUST BUY!

Even if DocGKR ran the full suite of FBI tests on this thing, it wouldn't do anything to change anyone's mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My wife loves hers as a snake & "armadilla killa'." It shoots easier than you'd suspect and you don't have to be dead on if you encounter a snake. She can strap it on and then wander the fields or the creeks fairly well equipped to deal with most anything she's likely to encounter.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
    They are amazingly resilient to logic, are they not? ZOMG! Shotgun shells in a revolver! MUST BUY!

Even if DocGKR ran the full suite of FBI tests on this thing, it wouldn't do anything to change anyone's mind.
    It's the "don't confuse me with the facts" approach to purchasing. A mindset I'm very familiar with in my own line O work.

We can only hope more BGs chose the judge as their cool weapon of choice as it gives the good guys that much more the advantage.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I'd hate to be in a controversial shooting with one..... can you imagine the newspaper headlines?

Man shot with sawed off shotgun assault pistol!!!..... victim was treated and released......

For that manner....I don't think I'd want to face an anti gun DA or a jury of 12 licensed drivers either......

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Pathfinder Ops;664225]KNOWN FACTORS

NRA= Goodness/ authority/ 2nd Amendment Pied Piper

Majority of Gun Buyers (AKA- MGB's)= Internet gun forum junkies/ not inclined to get training/ go for the CDI factor (Chicks Dig It).

Mass Marketing (AKA- MM)= Shiny paged magazines & The internet.

Coherent/ Informed Gun Owners (AKA- CI).

SO:
    NRA + MGB's + MM / CI = ?

Well if we take the equation and work it by adding the three main parts and deviding it buy those of us who are intellectually sober possibly even savvy firearms enthusiasts we get:

NRA + MGB's + MM / CI= Waiting lists at gun shops for a firearm with limited usefulness and a fever to buy these things similar to that of a middle school teenage girl trying to buy tickets to a Lady Gaga concert.
    QUOTE]

Holy cow. I just had a flashback to a long ago Algebra class final and nearly hyperventilated.

That said I’ve thought they might make a good pest gun. Handy and probably effective at very close range on small critters. In my teen years we used to have “catch what you eat” weekends. Primitive camping (usually along a river) with a fishing rod, a 22 pistol and potatoes. Catch or kill something or you eat a lot of potatoes. That’s what came to mind when I saw them.

Pests and close range small game? Maybe. Personal Defense? I think not. Am I considering buying one? No.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Mark/MO;664884]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder Ops View Post
    KNOWN FACTORS

NRA= Goodness/ authority/ 2nd Amendment Pied Piper

Majority of Gun Buyers (AKA- MGB's)= Internet gun forum junkies/ not inclined to get training/ go for the CDI factor (Chicks Dig It).

Mass Marketing (AKA- MM)= Shiny paged magazines & The internet.

Coherent/ Informed Gun Owners (AKA- CI).

SO:
    NRA + MGB's + MM / CI = ?

Well if we take the equation and work it by adding the three main parts and deviding it buy those of us who are intellectually sober possibly even savvy firearms enthusiasts we get:

NRA + MGB's + MM / CI= Waiting lists at gun shops for a firearm with limited usefulness and a fever to buy these things similar to that of a middle school teenage girl trying to buy tickets to a Lady Gaga concert.
    QUOTE]

Holy cow. I just had a flashback to a long ago Algebra class final and nearly hyperventilated.

That said I’ve thought they might make a good pest gun. Handy and probably effective at very close range on small critters. In my teen years we used to have “catch what you eat” weekends. Primitive camping (usually along a river) with a fishing rod, a 22 pistol and potatoes. Catch or kill something or you eat a lot of potatoes. That’s what came to mind when I saw them.

Pests and close range small game? Maybe. Personal Defense? I think not. Am I considering buying one? No.
    Sorry about the math scare....lol
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    I'd hate to be in a controversial shooting with one..... can you imagine the newspaper headlines?

Man shot with sawed off shotgun assault pistol!!!..... victim was treated and released......

For that manner....I don't think I'd want to face an anti gun DA or a jury of 12 licensed drivers either......

We had a guy down here shoot his son-in-law in the ball a few months ago. According to the paper the SIL still has his balls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Plain_T. View Post
    Call me strange, but I can actually see a plausible use for the Taurus Judge.

It actually does a reasonable job for being a snake gun. So if one has a need for dispatching rattlesnakes, then it can work.

I agree that it is a poor self-defense weapon against human assailants. The .45 colt load works well for that role, but there's plenty of other good choices than a 5-shot long cylinder revolver for self defense.
    I think that I would just carry an extra magazine of snakeshot for a pistol that is actually usefull. I can't see the logic in buying and carrying a specialized pistol for the sole purpose of defending myself from an animal that I could kill with a rock.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast