Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's hear from the SC crowd

Feedback Score

CPSL-Greenville Gun Club

This Sunday, June 20th 2010, Greenville Gun Club will have their monthly CPSL match. It is a practice/more laid back shoot that is open to the public. It is 15 dollars to shoot, and requires 100 rounds of pistol and 50 centerfire rifle rounds. It is somewhat similar to IDPA/IPSC in format, scoring, and layout. Head over to http://www.cpsl-ggc.org/ for more information. I think I am going to make it out to it with a buddy if he can get off work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRDavis89 View Post
    This Sunday, June 20th 2010, Greenville Gun Club will have their monthly CPSL match. It is a practice/more laid back shoot that is open to the public. It is 15 dollars to shoot, and requires 100 rounds of pistol and 50 centerfire rifle rounds. It is somewhat similar to IDPA/IPSC in format, scoring, and layout. Head over to http://www.cpsl-ggc.org/ for more information. I think I am going to make it out to it with a buddy if he can get off work.
    I might ride up for that if I can get my rifle zero'd in time. She's currently tore down (gas block and tube is off) awaiting a rail installation tomorrow.
    Last edited by Avenger29; 06-17-10 at 23:44.
    I'm no expert, but I took my CCW course at a Holiday Inn Express

Feedback Score
    What time Sunday?...

Well nevermind, my pistols actually at Dan Wesson for Service, now that I actually think about it.

I usher at the church I attend on Sundays anyway, so I doubt I could make it.

But the good thing is, this is a consistent match, I think it'd be a good starting place, neutral to everybody as far as cost.

I also don't know how crowded this place may get on the weekends when they don't have an event scheduled.
    The Skip J thing is a great idea, but the above is a real legitimate concern, I know Presidio Defense pretty much hosts all of their training as far as I know at Skip J, and I'd imagine they'd be using the 50 yard pistol/rifle range. I believe that's what they used with us present.

I can tell you from viewing Skip J's website that they don't want anyone posting targets at less than 100 yards at the 100 yard rifle range.

http://www.skipjrange.com/members.htm

Bay 10 (rifle bay) is for 100 meter shooting only. Any member placing targets other than at the 100 meter impact berm will be subject to immediate membership termination.
    Use Bay 5 for short range rifle shooting up to 50 yards.
    That's if they're not hosting a class/event...

Plus, realistically, I think we'll have to contact them and find out if we can get some kind of member/non member rate or something to that effect figured out to get a group there. Which... I doubt they're going to let us do, and probably not on a weekend, so I doubt we could get a group of guys out there to shoot for a few hours with no memberships on a Saturday/Sunday...

I like Skip J, but it looks like we'd have to figure out the membership thing and probably do it sometime during the week that worked for most of us.

I like the Greenville Gun Club CPSL competition, but... between obligations and a broken hammer at service, I won't be able to make this month.

Maybe we should plan something at that event for next month? It's out far enough that we can all arrange it, and pretty centrally located for everybody.

I figure the first step is get the ball rolling, let's all meet up, meet one another, and then as time goes on (ETA: forgot two words) we'll gain momentum we will figure something out.

Plus I bet most of you guys probably have weekends off.

What do you guys think?

ETA 2: I forgot to add, I think that CPSL event would be a good start until we iron out some more permanent stuff, and explore the Skip J option.
    Last edited by BWT; 06-18-10 at 00:59.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRDavis89 View Post
    This would be fun and something I'd like to do in the near future.

Right now though, and I don't know about the rest of you, I'd like to get in some more training / practice before doing a competition. Especially a 2-gun. I have a new carbine and we're still getting to know each other.

I couldn't make it Sunday anyway. Fathers Day and all.

Scoby
    Last edited by Scoby; 06-18-10 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    This would be fun and something I'd like to do in the near future.

Right now though, and I don't know about the rest of you, I'd like to get in some more training / practice before doing a competition. Especially a 2-gun. I have a new carbine and we're still getting to know each other.

I couldn't make it Sunday anyway. Fathers Day and all.

Scoby
    While I agree, it seems like it's only 50 or so rounds of carbine, and more than double that in pistol. I figured I'd suck my first time out, so, no worries. There'd be some fierce competition for last if I was involved.

(Honestly, I shoot as frequently as possible for me, but, in my first match situation which something like this would be, I'd just be more worried about not getting myself DQ'd and complying with all safety rules, and to a lesser extent my performance.)

As a side note I'd love to get out and shoot before hand but as you can see... Kind of grasping at straws for a place to meet up.

What do you think Scoby, what'd you have in mind?

Happy Father's day by the way, I was talking with my Dad, he ordered a BCM Mid Length AR today, I bought him some PMAG's and USGI Mag's with Magpul followers.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    You're a nice thoughtful son.

Scoby

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I can get this thing back together tomorrow and zero'd, I'm going up to the Sunday match. I'll either have to do a night zero tomorrow evening (that'll be a pain) or wake up early Sunday morning to zero (and thus really annoy the neighbors).
    Last edited by Avenger29; 06-18-10 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I also would like to get a lot more shooting under my belt before I did any kind of competition. I also don't have a pistol at the moment... I'm only 20 so I plan on getting one next may as soon as I turn 21, or maybe I can borrow my brother's G19 if I were to do anything. I'm sure they wouldn't like my bein under 21 to register for the event tho. I would definitely be up for getting together sometime and meeting you guys and shooting a little bit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebs08 View Post
    I also would like to get a lot more shooting under my belt before I did any kind of competition. I also don't have a pistol at the moment... I'm only 20 so I plan on getting one next may as soon as I turn 21, or maybe I can borrow my brother's G19 if I were to do anything. I'm sure they wouldn't like my bein under 21 to register for the event tho. I would definitely be up for getting together sometime and meeting you guys and shooting a little bit.
    I was in your shoes not too long ago, I'm 22, 23 in September.

I've had my CWP since January, and my CBOB I got last June.

I think we've got a relatively young group.

But I think we'll have fun, I mean, from what I gather the CPSL competition is low intensity.

Plus, certain things I approach knowing I'm going to suck, and you're new at it, so you're going to suck, everyone does. Expect it, I know that sounds pessimistic, but for me, it helps me bleed away the anxiety of doing something that's competitive and I'm nervous about.

So I'm going to relax, do the best I can, and realize I'm an amateur at this point, and I'll probably perform like one. It's if I'm successful that I'll have problems.

There are some good books out there on shooting competitively, and I'll tell ya, mindset seems to be very important.

I might take a look over at Brian Enos' forums, competition out the ying yang, tons of advice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm 22 also.

I was able to take my CCW class when I was 20, just couldn't mail the paperwork in until I was 21.

Since the SC laws changed on possession of handguns (was 21, now 18, if I recall correctly), I don't think you'd have any trouble shooting the match. I think you can even purchase a pistol private party once you are 18 in SC, but I don't recall correctly.
    Last edited by Avenger29; 06-18-10 at 23:02.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast