Thread: Which 1911 to base an ICQB in DE on?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Which 1911 to base an ICQB in DE on?

I have my Les Baer TRS, which I absolutely love - so it needs a twin (of sorts), and I've got parts around to make something similar to the Kimber MCP-1s that were made for the Det1 guys.

I have a $2000 budget (for the complete unit), and I'm fairly set on the following modifications (as I already have most of the parts), so I'm very curious which base gun would serve best:
    Les Baer Custom Carry (5")
    Colt Gunsite Pistol
    Colt XSE Ser80 Parkerized
    SpringfieldArmory Loaded Parkerized

I'm after a 5" pistol with ambidextrous safety, acceptable accuracy, and the following:
    Addition of Dawson precision light rail
    Textured frontstrap (checkered, scalloped, chainlinked or stippled)
    Novak sights with tritium inserts (three-dot)
    GI Recoil Plug assembly
    Commander Hammer (or C&S complete ignition kit) - EDM sear set, and at 4-5# pull overall trigger
    Hand tight bushing (well fit preferred)
    Solid trigger with fixed overtravel (10-8 or C&S make great ones, I'm set on this).

I'll do this whole thing in a rugged Dark Earth coating.

I already have a custom mainspring housing, and the Gunner grips, as well as the Surefire light and holster that fits this combination.

For the base unit:
    I already have a Springfield Loaded Park unit - it needs to go back to springfield to get an extraction issue looked at, but I have it, and the sights are there, but it would need significant metalwork. I'm most willing to work on this myself.
    I have my eyes on a Colt XSE - great looking pistol at a good price, but the sights need swapping, and I'd have to get a new beavertail memory bump safety, which would set me back $150 or so.
    The Colt Gunsite would be nice - a Series 70 pistol from Colt, but it would require just as much metalwork as the above - serrated frontstrap won't fly for me, but would be attractive once finished.
    Last, the Baer CC would be probably the best fit - least work involved (install MSH, maybe swap trigger, add Dawson rail and done), and I'd be able to recycle the grips onto my TRS for a carry gun. Starting cost would be the highest, but overall cost is within $150 for all these, and the CC would have the tightest fit and most hand-fitting of parts.

Any advice, questions, etc.?
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm leaning towards the Baer, though I'm also considering taking a Kimber and de-MIMing it.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd go with the Baer. Little to do to it other than add the rail.

Feedback Score
    i'd send $500 more and get a springfield armory PRO. last i checked, Bud's had them in stock.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I would either go with a les baer CC or spend the few extra bucks on a springfield Pro with a rail

Feedback Score
    If I remember correctly, a few years ago when the ICQB pistol was all the rage Kimber did a Custom I run for 10-8 Consulting. It was built to serve as a base gun based on Hilton Yam's input. That may be an option for you if you can find one someone wants to part with.

I hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Mine is a Kimber Warrior...

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Not to worry Robb, yours was my primary inspiration for making this thing Dark Earth.
    Semper Fi