Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cleaning question

Feedback Score

cleaning question

After a good cleaning I notoriously get degreaser on the outside of my weapon. I normally just wipe down with oil and let sit then wipe off the excess, the down side to this method, although it works, is that it is very time consuming. Is there any type of spray type of oil that I can use? especially under the hand guard because q-tips are just terrible
    I have tried to use the search function with no real luck. Links to web pages and threads that can help are very welcome. I'm not looking for what brand is better than another blah blah blah... just looking for what works for you.

Thanks in advance for any leads.
    Antonio

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I used to use Shooters Choice rust preventer and a micro fiber (for auto detailing) rag for final wipe down. That was the only way I didt get fuzz on heavy parkerized rifles......
    Last edited by 99HMC4; 09-05-10 at 14:45.
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    Break-Free CLP comes in an aerosol.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    For the outside of the weapon, try a light spray of rem oil. Instead of a rag I use a 1" paint brush to remove the excess and remove all but a light film. The brush doesn't leave all the lint and can be used in tight places and recesses.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    I just spray a light layer of BF CLP on the outside of the barrel and through the holes in the free float rails to cover the barrel. It is messy but it has been effective so far.

Feedback Score
    THe whole weapon exterior? Just use an air compressor to blow the dust off. I normally just do the same for under rail. If you have gummed up dirt or concerned about moisture, try Quibs CLP-Mineral Spirits solution. Spray generously under the rail, point weapon down and let drip. For this application, I have mine pretty diluted to keep the remaining CLP film to a minimum.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Other than the initial exterior cleaning and oiling when I purchase a new barrel assembly, I do no other maintinance other than dusting. I live in a low humidity environment so I do not have to worry about rust as much. I do a monthly inspection under the handguards and have only found rust on very few barrels during the past in the high humidity of winter before I started this practice.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Why are you spraying degreaser on the gun at all?

The only places I use grease are on the cam pin and on the carrier bearing points, and I can just wipe and relube those areas without a chemical spray.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Can someone explain to me why they are rubbing/wiping down the outside of their AR for any reason? Can someone explain to me the benefit to hard anodized aluminum?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Cunningham View Post
    Can someone explain to me why they are rubbing/wiping down the outside of their AR for any reason? Can someone explain to me the benefit to hard anodized aluminum?
    ======================

I think you should wipe and rust protect the outside of the barrel, FH, barrel nut area, FSB, trigger, Receiver Extension, pins, levers, etc.?? there are plenty of steel parts outside an AR that will rust.

The receiver itself doesn't need to be oiled but I do try to rust protect roll pins, lube where mag release, bolt catch, etc. have holes that parts move in. I see pictures of AR's where you can see oil "migrating" from these points to a "dry" receiver. New guns come out of the box with this "migration".

I figure one day I might want to remove a FH, FSB, Barrel or a RE, so I try to keep a little oil there to ease removal one day.

Heck, down here if you don't oil it or paint it-it rusts or rots...and doing that ain't no guarantee sometimes. Guess it depends where you're at...?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast