509. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spike's

115 22.59%
  • BCM

346 67.98%
  • Other

48 9.43%
Page 1 of 140 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Spikes questions/comments thread (new Spikes posts go here)

Feedback Score

Official Spikes questions/comments thread (new Spikes posts go here)

This is now the official Spikes questions/comments/rants/raves/fanboy/hater etc Spikes thread. All new Spikes posts go here, any new threads will me merged into this thread.--staff

im gonna buy a new barrel. spikes informed me they would be selling these as a barrel only in a few weeks for $399 and they come w/ a pinned FSB.

spikes makes good stuff but, these barrels arent chrome lined, they are melonite coated inside and out. spikes claims great barrel life but, i would like to know what the M4C take on these are?

should i go with the melonite spikes barrel? my other option is either, another complete upper or a stainless barrel, as its virtually impossible to find a good chrome lined barrel these days.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 05-28-10 at 06:19.

Feedback Score
    Melonite is the trade name for a type of nitrocarburizing. It's similar to the Tenifer treatment that Glock uses for their slides. It does increase resistance to wear and corrosion. I have several pistols coated in Melonite, but only the exterior surfaces.

Hard chrome has a Rockwell hardness value between 70 and 74. Melonite's hardness value is between 55 and 62.

Whether this creates a practical difference in quality or longevity is anyone's guess. Personally, I'd stick to hard chrome. It's a proven winner. Time will tell if Melonite is up to the task.

Feedback Score
    Just be aware that if the Melonite is similar to what Smith and Wesson uses on their M&P line, the barrel can be subject to rust without warning. Melonite isn't like the Tennifer Glock uses and I would not count on it as a substitute for a good finish maintenance program.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    im gonna buy a new barrel. spikes informed me they would be selling these as a barrel only in a few weeks for $399 and they come w/ a pinned FSB.

spikes makes good stuff but, these barrels arent chrome lined, they are melonite coated inside and out. spikes claims great barrel life but, i would like to know what the M4C take on these are?

should i go with the melonite spikes barrel? my other option is either, another complete upper or a stainless barrel, as its virtually impossible to find a good chrome lined barrel these days.
    What barrel configuration are you looking for M-4 profile carbine gas port, 16 recce with midlength gas port

Rainer has a DD 16'' recce barrel in stock now. http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1495

Feedback Score
    i just got off the phone with spikes, their melonite barrels are actually daniel defense barrels. they are chrome lined and then melonite coated.

I can get a non melonite coated DD barrel from rainier for 300, or 400 for a melonite one from spikes.

Im just gonna go with the non melonite recon barrel from DD.

hopefully these dont sell out too quick, i gotta wait till payday to buy one

I love spikes though so, im gonna buy one of their lowers. their lowers are some of the nicest ive seen, and their a good local company so, props.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    i just got off the phone with spikes, their melonite barrels are actually daniel defense barrels. they are chrome lined and then melonite coated.

I can get a non melonite coated DD barrel from rainier for 300, or 400 for a melonite one from spikes.

Im just gonna go with the non melonite recon barrel from DD.

hopefully these dont sell out too quick, i gotta wait till payday to buy one

I love spikes though so, im gonna buy one of their lowers. their lowers are some of the nicest ive seen, and their a good local company so, props.
    Good to hear that and let us know how it goes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    What barrel configuration are you looking for M-4 profile carbine gas port, 16 recce with midlength gas port

Rainer has a DD 16'' recce barrel in stock now. http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1495
    Are the DD/Raimer barrels HF?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghunterCO View Post
    Are the DD/Raimer barrels HF?
    Do you mean HP tested ? I don't know that's a good question.

Feedback Score
    Sorry. Hammer Forged.

Page 1 of 140 1231151101 ... LastLast