509. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spike's

115 22.59%
  • BCM

346 67.98%
  • Other

48 9.43%
Page 2 of 140 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Spikes questions/comments thread (new Spikes posts go here)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    DD barrel's, at least the ones on their rifles, are HP tested.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghunterCO View Post
    Sorry. Hammer Forged.
    I don't think so. I would think they would have advertised that fact if it were.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    im gonna buy a new barrel. spikes informed me they would be selling these as a barrel only in a few weeks for $399 and they come w/ a pinned FSB.

spikes makes good stuff but, these barrels arent chrome lined, they are melonite coated inside and out. spikes claims great barrel life but, i would like to know what the M4C take on these are?

should i go with the melonite spikes barrel? my other option is either, another complete upper or a stainless barrel, as its virtually impossible to find a good chrome lined barrel these days.
    I have been looking at Meloniting SS or CM barrels from some time. The testing we have been shown shows us that accuracy deteriorates. Now if you were doing 9mm, 308 or 45 barrels, I would say that Meloniting would NOT negatively effect accuracy.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRich View Post
    Melonite is the trade name for a type of nitrocarburizing. It's similar to the Tenifer treatment that Glock uses for their slides. It does increase resistance to wear and corrosion. I have several pistols coated in Melonite, but only the exterior surfaces.

Hard chrome has a Rockwell hardness value between 70 and 74. Melonite's hardness value is between 55 and 62.

Whether this creates a practical difference in quality or longevity is anyone's guess. Personally, I'd stick to hard chrome. It's a proven winner. Time will tell if Melonite is up to the task.
    True! Still good old hard chrome for me. Plus it doesnt take much for melonite to come off. Check out the M&P forums. Some guys have taken the finish off with just vinegar.
    My M&P40C had less than 150 rounds through it when the ramp started to look bare. I polished the rest of the ramp with a mag/wheel polish which took the remaining finish off leaving a slick chrome-like finish.

Feedback Score
    im gonna stay away from the melonite for just simply because its not something i need, especially the pretty finish, its just gonna get painted over so...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I have been looking at Meloniting SS or CM barrels from some time. The testing we have been shown shows us that accuracy deteriorates. Now if you were doing 9mm, 308 or 45 barrels, I would say that Meloniting would NOT negatively effect accuracy.

C4
    Grant,
    There is a benchrest shooter using Melonite treated barrels with very good success (2007 benchrest shooter of the year). A few other benchrest guys have been experimenting with it as well and they have said that it has not affected accuracy at all. One thing they do say is that the barrel should be lapped after chambering to remove the burrs. Some of them even shoot the barrel first to break it in then clean the hell out of it before Melonite. This seams like alot of work for an AR barrel. I would like to see some before and after tests because I was very interested in getting a barrel done. the company that the benchrest guys use is hefusa.net and on their homepage, bottom left corner there is a link to the price list and info.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    True! Still good old hard chrome for me. Plus it doesnt take much for melonite to come off. Check out the M&P forums. Some guys have taken the finish off with just vinegar.
    My M&P40C had less than 150 rounds through it when the ramp started to look bare. I polished the rest of the ramp with a mag/wheel polish which took the remaining finish off leaving a slick chrome-like finish.

I understand that melonite is a treatment not really a finish so if the black color wears off you still have all the same properties of the melonite there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [post retracted]
    Last edited by JoshNC; 06-26-09 at 22:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperfrog View Post
    I understand that melonite is a treatment not really a finish so if the black color wears off you still have all the same properties of the melonite there.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I didnt know that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Guys, try to remember that melonite/ tennifer is a treatment, and that it can be applied different ways. When done correctly, it is fantastic. Think of getting your car painted by a kid learning a spray gun, then think of someone who has done custom work for 30 years. Both are spraying paint, but produce very different results.

I've mentioned before that I have a prototype melonite treated barrel from 5 years or so ago that has seen a heavy and abusive round count. It is still shooting good enough groups, and has been impressive in its service. Its currently being borrowed by another LEO as his duty upper.

Don't take the S&W issues and think that is how Melonite is supposed to be done.

I've got one of the Spike's Tactical CHF uppers, I've started a review on it, and will update as I get the time. The upper is getting borrowed by some .mil buddies for them to shoot as well.

Spikes Tactical CHF upper review (WEVO)
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 2 of 140 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast