509. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spike's

115 22.59%
  • BCM

346 67.98%
  • Other

48 9.43%
Page 90 of 140 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Spikes questions/comments thread (new Spikes posts go here)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OK... it may appear right now that my best bet would ultimately be to redirect this ever so slightly. It seems, upon inspection, that the manufacturer in question can deliver according to my own personal criteria:

Must:
    - 4150 or better barrel
    - 5.56mm chamber
    - Chrome-lined chamber/bore
    - Mid-length gas system
    - M4 feed ramps/extensions

Should:
    - M16-style bolt carrier
    - Nickel-Boron bolt/carrier
    - Carbine-weight buffer
    - Flip-up front BUIS

Want:
    - Flat-top upper receiver
    - Mil-spec buffer tube
    - T-marked upper

Indifferent:
    - Furniture
    - Markings

Budget:
    - Approximately $900

So perhaps the better questions to ask are these:
    - What other manufacturers can meet or exceed these same criteria?
    - Do any of these other manufacturers offer something I'm missing?
    - What, exactly, do these other manufacturers do differently/better?
    - Are those benefits as offered by other manufacturers cost-effective?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I own a Spike's SL-15 with 6k through it. I have shot out the Model 1 Chrome Molly barrel (not a Spike's barrel) and just replaced it with a DD CHF Chrome Lined. Other than the barrel, I have not had any issues with my SL-15. Spike's parts in my build are the upper, lower, LPK (minus trigger), buffer, buffer tube, and BCG.

I'm not trying to sound like Spike's is awesome, kick ass, etc as other "what do you think" threads but just posting info about mine as the OP requested.

ETA: IMHO.....putting aside the products they sell, they have excellent customer service and strive to take care of their customers.
    Last edited by Tornado_Racing; 05-28-10 at 06:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana71 View Post
    OK... it may appear right now that my best bet would ultimately be to redirect this ever so slightly. It seems, upon inspection, that the manufacturer in question can deliver according to my own personal criteria:

Must:
    - 4150 or better barrel
    - 5.56mm chamber
    - Chrome-lined chamber/bore
    - Mid-length gas system
    - M4 feed ramps/extensions

Should:
    - M16-style bolt carrier
    - Nickel-Boron bolt/carrier
    - Carbine-weight buffer
    - Flip-up front BUIS

Want:
    - Flat-top upper receiver
    - Mil-spec buffer tube
    - T-marked upper

Indifferent:
    - Furniture
    - Markings

Budget:
    - Approximately $900

So perhaps the better questions to ask are these:
    - What other manufacturers can meet or exceed these same criteria?
    - Do any of these other manufacturers offer something I'm missing?
    - What, exactly, do these other manufacturers do differently/better?
    - Are those benefits as offered by other manufacturers cost-effective?
    not all 4150 steel are the same, commercial 4150 steel (non milspec) could have 30% failure rate in HP/MP testing.

Spikes steel from what I heard is Milspec 4150... they are also HP tested

However, their BCG is not both HP and MP tested.
    Last edited by Elbowtko; 05-28-10 at 07:14.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    True! Still good old hard chrome for me. Plus it doesnt take much for melonite to come off. Check out the M&P forums. Some guys have taken the finish off with just vinegar.
    My M&P40C had less than 150 rounds through it when the ramp started to look bare. I polished the rest of the ramp with a mag/wheel polish which took the remaining finish off leaving a slick chrome-like finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Just be aware that if the Melonite is similar to what Smith and Wesson uses on their M&P line, the barrel can be subject to rust without warning. Melonite isn't like the Tennifer Glock uses and I would not count on it as a substitute for a good finish maintenance program.
    If rust is occurring on M&P barrels then they ARE NOT Melonite treated (or they missed something in the process). Melonite is the U.S. version of tennifer without the use of cyanide and other more hazardous chemicals used in the process. Melonite QPQ (Quench, Polish. Quench) provides the smoothest surface vs. just Melonite. There are many examples of Melonite'd firearms being chained in ocean saltwater for 6 months to a year with zero corrosion occuring. I have several 1911's that have the Melonite QPQ finish on everything including the barrel. One pistol has 20K+ rounds thru it now and neither the barrel, frame, or slide shows any wear. My body chemistry is such that if I touch a blued pistol and it is not wiped down with oil, within an hour rusty fingerprints appear. When I used to play ipsc, my hard chrome race guns would rust from my grip. The Melonite'd pistols mentioned above, have never shown any sign of rust. After a session at the range, they go in the bag and stay there until the next session. In regards to the comment about someone "rubbing off the Melonite with vinegar", BS. Melonite is a metal treatment, not a coating like hard chrome or worse yet, a painted finish.

The only concern I would see with a Melonite'd AR barrel would be that the treatment provider can insure that the entire inside of the barrel receives equal exposure to the process.
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 05-30-10 at 11:26.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Any updates on this or anyone else running one want to chime in?

Feedback Score
    Still undecided on BCM vs SPIKES

Can any one give me a good reason to go with BCM over spikes?

I know that Spikes with be both HP/MP on both the BCGs and barrels soon.

How is the accuracy of a spikes M4LE compared to that of a BCM?

Anyone who owns both that wants to chime in? I know there are reviews out there, but I read them and they don't say anything I already know.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbowtko View Post
    Still undecided on BCM vs SPIKES

Can any one give me a good reason to go with BCM over spikes?

I know that Spikes with be both HP/MP on both the BCGs and barrels soon.

How is the accuracy of a spikes M4LE compared to that of a BCM?

Anyone who owns both that wants to chime in? I know there are reviews out there, but I read them and they don't say anything I already know.
    BCM is HP/MP now, not later.. aside from that, nobody can really answer your questions. how accurate one M4 barrel is over the other is highly dependent on a lot of variables- mostly shooter, but even two spikes or two BCM barrels that are otherwise identical can have as much as a full MOA difference in group size potential. and we haven't even talked about ammo. expect 2MOA and be happy when you get better than that, if you're even capable of noticing. with RDS and realistic training, you won't know or care.

Feedback Score

My Spike's is up and running!

Well I got my upper from Spike's a few days ago. It took about a week to get from Spike's, all at no charge to me. Ouststanding customer service! I put about a hundred rounds through it with no problems at all so far, hopefully it keeps it up. Even though its all working well, after having seen the lower dry fired by my buddy with the upper off, and having experienced the original failure of the upper, I'm having a hard time trusting it. Hopefully after 1,000 or so failure-free rounds that will change.

Feedback Score
    Don't you know I saw that as soon as I exited my post page Hopefully it gets moved so I don't look like too much of an idiot

Feedback Score
    Also, I forgot to add they sent me an extra buffer weight with the upper. Not sure why I need that. I would have rather had a magazine, but what the heck I'll take it.

Page 90 of 140 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast