Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW 1k YRD Range in Williamson Co. NOW w/ LaRue Tactical Range Day 16OCT10

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)

NEW 1k YRD Range in Williamson Co. NOW w/ LaRue Tactical Range Day 16OCT10

Im pretty excited about this since its only about 30 minutes from me, and there arent too many places to shoot at this distance unless you own private land or know someone.

Anyways its about 10 minutes from HWY 29 and HWY 183 intersection out by Liberty Hill.

http://texasshootingrange.com/

I foresee myself spending quite a bit of time here....just hope they are not extreme range nazis like Eagle Peak is....
    Last edited by Belmont31R; 08-18-10 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Great. Yet another place to help separae me from my hard earned cash. Nice to see a place crop up where I can stretch past 200. Hope they do well.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    LaRue is going to be hosting their 3-gun there next year...

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    BTT for confirmed range opening date of this upcoming Sat.

Ill be there....

Feedback Score
    This is great news for the area since we really need more range access. In addition to Texas Shooting Range mentioned above, the building of the Texas Shooting Sports Complex to the south is under review by Hays county. A 563 acre riverfront tract has been selected east of San Marcos that would be divided between park and range use under the proposal. Good stuff happening....I can't wait to ditch the indoor ranges around here.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Went out there today, and things are looking pretty good. That 1000 yard line is a looooong way out there...wow...

* Most of the wind comes from the south so on the long shots the wind will be from 3 to 6. The range basically points ENE if I have a sense of direction at all.

Parking lot:

removed for now

Bench rest bay (1k yard line way out there):

From the side:

Tactical bays:

Last edited by Belmont31R; 07-21-10 at 18:23.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    As of today, 24JUL the rifle range is still not ready despite the owners sending out an email earlier this week saying the range would be open. I drove 35 minutes each way to find this out since they didn't bother to send out another email saying as much. I wonder how many people drove there today just to turn around 2 minutes later.

Great way to have a grand opening....

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    On TOS LaRue and Pat Rogers have announced a class to be held at this range.

Quoted Pat Rogers:

We are looking at 21-23Nov2010.

Please see the w/s for class info.
    This is a physically demanding class and there are requirements for attending.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Anyone got more on the Pat class? Was looking @ catching him up in Garland, we comm'd about that but this is closer for my partner in Kville, looked @ the EAG WS, didn't see anything & nothing on LF, update?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Some people have noted something of concern (at least to me).

The action/tactical bays are in the impact zone of the skeet range, and people have been getting peppered with "bird shot".

Not too sure Id put myself in that position....although small shot like 8 or 9 loses energy very fast you never know what type of loads people are going to be shooting off. Anything much heavier than that could really do some damage. I had noticed the seemingly "odd" layout of the range, and the directions people would be shooting but refrained from saying anything but now I know people are getting peppered with shot from the skeet range. Ive never seen a range where another part of the range is in the impact zone. I can imagine someone touching off a 3" #5 load or something like that, and having some bad results.

Although I know berms are safe at least half of the bays are facing towards the skeet range (vise versa) and the rifle range. Call me a ninny but Im not too hot on only having a berm between me, and people shooting rounds off at 3000FPS. Rounds do crazy things after hitting dirt and rocks. Just watch a machine gun shooting tracers at night, and you'll see that rounds ricochet in many directions.

Heres a quick drawing of the layout...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast