Page 1 of 96 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen4 Glock 9mm 1sthand reports thread

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Gen4 Glock 9mm 1sthand reports thread

***Speak only from personal, firsthand experience, please***

Gen4 Glock 17.

First 300 rds had several FTFs (nose of round against left side o feed ramp) and when shooting 1 rd in mag to slide lock, would not lock slide back on empty mag. After 300 rds, the malfunctions went away.

Weapon has over 3k rounds through it now. 2250 without cleaning. Experienced one failure to lock slide back on empty mag using WWB around 1700 rds. Malfunction did not reoccur with hundreds of rounds of the same ammo. Have not shot it with a light attached.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 05-28-10 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    ***Speak only from personal, firsthand experience, please***

Gen4 Glock 17.

First 300 rds had several FTFs (nose of round against left side o feed ramp) and when shooting 1 rd in mag to slide lock, would not lock slide back on empty mag. After 300 rds, the malfunctions went away.

Weapon has over 3k rounds through it now. 2250 without cleaning. Experienced one failure to lock slide back on empty mag using WWB around 1700 rds. Malfunction did not reoccur with hundreds of rounds of the same ammo. Have not shot it with a light attached.
    What ammo did you use on the first 300 rounds?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    What ammo did you use on the first 300 rounds?
    UMC range ammo.

Feedback Score
    Gen4 G17

Ghost 4.5 Ranger connector + 6lb Wolff trigger-spring, Ameriglo Defoor Tactical sights
    ALL the worn-in/polished trigger guts minus the trigger bar and ejector housing which are new to the Gen4 were imported from my well broken-in 3rd Gen G17 (this includes striker assembly and plunger safety and spring)

Cleaned and lubed with TW25 at the start, none since.
    650rds, 1 stoppage (stovepipe) - Federal Champion 115gr FMJ (Wally-Mart, fairly soft shooting, about the same as WWB, UMC and Monarch are both softer)

20rds Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP (my usual carry ammo, felt maybe a bit softer than usual and was accurate as hell)

The stovepipe occurred between rounds 600-650 on round 621 to be exact, the first round out of a supplied-with-gun factory Gen4 17rd mag loaded with 10rds. As I was shooting at 25yrds working on my grip and trigger control at the time, I was paying full attention and it was NOT limp-wrist induced.
    The spent cartridge was caught flipped 180 degrees in the slide cut-out deep enough and solid enough in the cut-out to prevent the round below it from chambering fully, on extinct I performed a tap-rack-bang, that didn't clear it so I stopped and took a closer look at it...
    Dropped the mag, racked it, which cleared the empty case and chambered the round below it, then finished off the rest of the box of 50.

I think it was the combination of the new stiffer dual-spring recoil assembly combined with an underpowered round, so while it's no big deal really, the jury's still out...

Worth mentioning that I was surprised that in spite of the too-stiff recoil assembly, I did indeed see and feel that the gun shot flatter than my usual 3rd Gen G17 with 15lb ISMI recoil spring and experienced great sight-tracking, going in I thought this was BS, but have to say that now I've seen it with my own eyes... my guess is a lot of explanation goes to the WAY better grip, having owned and put many rounds through both the "normal" 3rd Gen's and the RTF2 variant, I really dig the Gen4 RTF grip treatment, it's a great compromise between the two others.

After the first 3 mags loaded with 10rnds shooting 6 5rnd groups at 10 yards to see if my sight install was ok, the remainder of the first 500 rounds through it were all shot running ToddG's FAST drill and a mix of draw-to-1 shot, draw-to-2 shot, and 3rnd failure-to-stop drills against my iPhone shot timer...
    I figured I would have experienced a malf during these first 500 if the new gun was truly unreliable as some have stated, but it did what it's supposed to do and I find that the 2mm smaller grip, better texture and better mag release all just make my favorite pistol work better for me.
    FWIW, I've shot nearly 30,000rds through various 3rd Gen G17's (and haven't gotten rid of my most recent one just yet) and have to admit the new model really does fit me better and seems easier to be fast and accurate with even after only a couple sessions with it, I feel ToddG's FAST drill tells you a lot about how a gun is working for you, and I saw some pretty nice numbers and was beating my old best times with the Gen3 fairly consistently right off the bat (although, did have a couple of mags caught up in the grip hole, never knew that stupid grip plug mattered, I'll need one when they're available...).

The new dual-spring set-up seems unnecessary to me, and I won't tolerate very much, so we'll see... If I was going to shoot a match or take a class this weekend I'd use the stronger Winchester NATO-spec stuff and would feel just fine about it though.
    Last edited by ck1; 05-28-10 at 12:14.

Feedback Score
    I have had one for a few months, still haven't put many rounds through it yet. That will change when I get my new holster. I had some problems with the first mag I put through it, after that, flawless. All ammo has been powder puff competition loads. I am transitioning from the Beretta M9 so I have been dry firing a lot.

Feedback Score
    Two Gen 4 G17's, 5500 rds through one, 5,000 the other. No malfs of any kind. 95% el cheapo range ammo. I'm buying a 3rd G4 17 this weekend as a spare.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mine has just over 1500rds. through it now with never a single problem. Never locked the slide back for a week or two, just shot it as is out of the box (I did have one of the first ones and this wasn't talked about when I first started shooting mine). Added a set of Kyle Defoor Ameriglos to it. Can't wait to get the Gen4 G19 and have the same experience.

Ammo has been varied:
    Federal - 9BP 115gr. JHP, 124gr. HST, 147gr. HST, 115gr./124gr. FMJ (American Eagle)
    Winchester - 115gr. FMJ white box, 124gr. NATO (both the white box and Ranger boxed stuff)
    Speer - 124gr. +P JHP and 147gr. JHP
    Foreign - Geco and RWS 124gr. FMJ

Been about half with a SureFire X300 attached.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    I have a Gen 4 17 that has been flawless without any hicups in about 500 rounds. I have not fired more than that unfortunately due to not having my holster come yet, but that should be here next week to get more practical trigger time.

I have used several types of ammo from WWB, Wally World Fed, PMC and Blazer Brass. I have even tried to limp wrist the gun on purpose with the hopes of seeing it choke, but have yet to have anything happen. I have only fired about 25 rounds through it with an X300 attached since I still don't have a holster.

My personal opinion is that it's still early to tell whether or not the dual spring is going to be a long term problem for some. I think ultimately all changes in a platform are going to see some flaws no matter the manufacturer. I think my biggest complaint still is that there needs to be a tad bit bigger tail on the back of the frame so my hand doesn't get cut all to hell. I know I'm destined to have a permanent scar there from the weekly bleed fest.

I still feel that my Gen 3 19 runs smoother, but this may still be from the newness and slightly different feel of the newer 17 ergos etc. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this gun keeps running fine like a past experiences I've had with Glock. If a mod for the dual spring were to come out soon I'm sure I'd give it a go for I believe this loosens up the tolerances and allows for a slightly more reliable system.

Feedback Score
    I have fired two. My pal Skinja's - just a few mags which ran great and hooked me into getting my own. But primarily my own which has now 2300 flawless rounds through it as reported on the 2K test thread pasted below.

Pistol: Glock 4th Generation G17
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition: WWB 115, American Eagle 115, Blazer 115, Black Hills (blue) 115, RWS 124, Independence 115, Rem-UMC 115
    Dates of testing: 3/14/2010 – 5/2/2010
    Total rounds fired: 2300 rds

Stoppages: 0
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

Notes: Gun was new-unfired at the start of the test. No lube added beyond what came from the factory. There was no prep of locking the slide back for a week before shooting etc etc. Deliberately induced 2 “limp wrist” failures to cycle with 3 finger grip and extreme low grip which I ain’t counting on the gun as this additional test has not been included in many or any of the guns on this thread. Approximately 50 rounds were fired strong hand only or weak hand only.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have deliberately on two occasions tried to make my G17 malfunction via limp wristing with use range ammo. I could not. Videos below.

Page 1 of 96 1231151 ... LastLast