Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen4 Glock 9mm 1sthand reports thread

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Agreed that the UMC ammo is weak and low quality. But I have used it without problems in a gen 2 Glock 17 & 19 and a number of other firearms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    Agreed that the UMC ammo is weak and low quality. But I have used it without problems in a gen 2 Glock 17 & 19 and a number of other firearms.
    true-if you pick out all the rounds where the bullets are sunk into the shells.

i actually contacted remington with an email about this last time i bought some. they wanted me to mail the rounds to them for inspection. i never did though, just stopped buying it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    UMC is low quality but I have found it as acceptable for range use as any other cheap ammo. The best shooting ammo I have found for the Gen 4 is the Winchester 124gr NATO ammo that Wal-Mart is selling.
    it's interesting that we're now discussing the ammo that works best in glock 9mm's, when before all ammo worked in them...

i see a lighter spring assembly going in the 9mm glocks in the future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    it's interesting that we're now discussing the ammo that works best in glock 9mm's, when before all ammo worked in them...

good point

Feedback Score

1000 rounds!

I bought my first handgun last month. A Generation 4 Glock 17. The first 200 rounds I ever fired in my life were with my new pistol and, as posted in previous threads, I had dozens of malfunctions. (FTF, FTE and the slide not locking back.) Different and experienced shooters shot the next 50 rounds. (From 200 through 250.) Not a single malfunction. I changed my grip and was instructed to move my thumb off of the slide catch. During the last month I have shot every Friday and today I finished shooting 750 trouble free rounds. I am SUPER excited about this, new to me, sport. (Bought a Colt 6940 too!)

I am a maintenance FREAK and have cleaned the gun 10 times. (every 100 rounds) I did lock the slide back for about a week and have used many types and weights of cheap ammo. I am a believer and wanted a Glock for a long, long time. I knew about internet problems (real or perceived) but wanted the LATEST AND GREATEST. I have been following these threads and was/am hoping that the Generation 4 problems are just rumor.

With the last 750 rounds firing perfectly, it seems likely that the perceived problems are just that. Perceived. I am keeping a close eye on on what could be pre-mature ware inside the frame.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    1530 rounds fired with 3 total stoppages. 1 possible stovepipe type with empty spun around 180 degrees case mouth facing shooter (AE 147gr), 2 slide locked to the rear with rounds still in the mag (Winchester 124gr 9mm NATO). I attribute all three to me being tired and loosing my grip and/or bumping the slide stop lever. I ground down my slide top lever making the tab a lot smaller, I had no stoppages tonight with the slide locked to the rear with rounds still in the magazine.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score

I agree 100%. That said, if all issues disappear once the recoil assembly breaks-in than it's really no big deal...

Honestly surprised the aftermarket doesn't have Gen4 assemblies out by now for us to try...
    Last edited by ck1; 05-30-10 at 10:01.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ck1 View Post
    Honestly surprised the aftermarket doesn't have Gen4 assemblies out by now for us to try...
    That would be one quick, reactive, finger on the pulse of the gun boards company.

The gen 4 has been out for 4 months now(give or take)? That's a complex spring and a decent amount of engineering to make (and test); all in reaction to some comments by those on gun forums, in a time frame of 4 or less months.
    Last edited by Apollo11; 05-30-10 at 15:20.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ck1 View Post
    I agree 100%. That said, if all issues disappear once the recoil assembly breaks-in than it's really no big deal...
    That may be true... But, it's still a step backward in reliability for Glock.

Given Glock's prior 9mm reliability reputation, and the fact that many don't read gun forums... A large portion of shooters (many of them police or other armed professionals) will not shoot hundreds of rounds through them before carrying them in harms way or relying on them to defend life.

Better grip, softer shooting, more accurate, whatever... If it stovepipes, fails to feed, or anything else that stops the gun, it's not doing what a 9mm GLOCK by reputation is expected to do... RUN
    Last edited by Luke_Y; 05-31-10 at 11:29. Reason: Bold my If :)
    My fear is that ahh, the whole island will ahh, become so overly populated, that it will tip over and ahh, and capsize...
    Hank Johnson (D) GA YouTube

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Two failure to feeds during the first box (UMC ammo and Ballisticlean crap). 1,200 rounds of various ammo (Winchester White Box and numerous premium self-defense ammo). All 1,200 rounds have been drills (except for maybe 50 rounds for accuracy). No failures; no incidents. Need another...

Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast