60 26.79%
  • other

29 12.95%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best weapon light placement?

Feedback Score

Option #1

Option #2

Right handed driver, thumbs forward grip. 75" wingspan so I'd have everything farther forward if I had the room.

Feedback Score

Cool 6 0-clock works perfectly for me

I was mounting my tac-lite at the 9 0-clock position oposite my otal at the 3.
    I have positioned it so the face comes just behind the bayolug on my M-4 and if I need the bayonet on my carbine I am not going to be worried about it blocking my tac-lite. also as I am holding the vertigrip I can use my right finger to turn it on and off.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger View Post
    I don’t think there is any doubt that 6 o-clock is the absolute best place for the light. Every place else can give off a strange shadow. The problem is that’s not the most comfortable place for mine. Especially considering how I’ve been trained to grip the hand guards so far out with my support hand. The 9 o’clock position works well but the light can get hung up on gear & clothing. This is the reason mine gets mounted at 3 o’clock; it’s a compromise that works well for me.

What finger do you use to activate that?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What finger do you use to activate that?
    Support hand pointer finger as it wraps around the hand guard. You end up using the side of the finger.

Very simple and easy.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dport View Post
    I gotta be contrary here.

I think the best position would be at the 12 o'clock if you could make it where it would not interfere with the front sight.
    You laugh, but check this out.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dport View Post
    I gotta be contrary here.

I think the best position would be at the 12 o'clock if you could make it where it would not interfere with the front sight.
    SureFire used to make a light that puts the lamp at 12 o'clock, the lamp is attached to a clamp that goes around the FSB, and the body is on the right side of the gun. This is the light I mentioned above, they used to be issued at my site.

Bob

Feedback Score
    Okay . . . who has more than one white light on their gun?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with the above posters that the 12 O'clock position is the best as far not interfering with use of cover. The issue that I have is that it requires a tape switch for either the Surefire mount or the Christiansen mount. The 6 o’clock position would be the next choice.

However, I think it is important (as stated previously) to not adjust your grip to activate the light. Additionally, I prefer clickie tail caps on my weapon lights. I am right handed. This has let me to prefer the11 o’clock position. The goal is to get the light as close to the bore line as possible on the vertical axis.

On a rail, I use a Larue offset mount attached to the 12 o’clock rail. The Viking Tactics mount would also work well for a more cost effective solution.

With no rail, I go retro and use a Surefire M16 mount rotated so that the light body is pressed up next to the FSB in the 11 o’clock position. The M16 mount may not be the cool guy toy anymore, but it is a great mount and keeps the gun light weight. It is both robust and usable.

Feedback Score
    I prefer the 3 O clock position. I'm a lefty, but i shoot righty, and the 3 O clock position is more Confortable for me.

Feedback Score
    xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-09-09 at 23:16.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast