Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springfield M1A, Help Me Pick!!!

Feedback Score
    I love my M1A standard w/22" barrel.. more velocity.. I 'll use my M-4 for clearing rooms.... .308 is not a close quarter caliber anyway, especially for populated areas..

It all comes down to what you want to do with it.....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i liked the scout (didn't want the short gas system of the SOCOM) and i liked the rail. so i put the rail on the scout for the best of both worlds with the vltor stock. it's actually still pretty handy with the lower handguard removed.

with the lower handguard removed, you still have the side rails - which work great with vltor's bipod. just food for thought.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Scout

I too am new, and want a 308 rifle. I was looking at the Scout becuase I like the idea of adding a Vortex and I realy like your rifle pics. Any other word of advice before I buy?? Oh what are the Best 20 round Mags sold for the Scout??

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-09-09 at 23:00. Reason: add photo

Feedback Score
    Someone posting in this thread has a nice M1A Bush rifle that he should post a pic of...
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    I think the 18" Scout is a great rifle... With a couple mods:

* Must have the Smith Enterprises bolt release - works like an AR then
    * Swap out your extractor and replace it with a forged GI part. Fulton Armory has them.
    * NM guide rod (optional but I did it on both mine)
    * Unitize the gas cylinder - I bought mine unitized from Fulton and replaced them myself. Super easy.

I do NOT advocate - on a relatively CQB style rifle such as this - putting a Smith mount on and using it instead of the Scout Mount. The heat thing is overrated - you will not cook your optics with the Scout mount. (I put 7 mags through mine at an indoor range at a fairly fast pace - with no breeze - and yeah, I got heat shiimmer in front of the EOTech but it did not poop out on me.) It could, however, goof with the chemistry in the batteries. I recommend using lithiums.

All of this is JMHO, YMMV, but I've got a fullsize as well as the Scout, and love them both.

jim
    Keep your powder dry.

M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I am a tactical marketing professional. PM for details.

Feedback Score
    Mace's advice is good to go. I followed it and ended up with a very nice M1A rifle myself.

Feedback Score

and hit the gym first!

xxxxx
    Last edited by PALADIN-hgwt; 07-09-09 at 22:57.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12