Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any existing IL, WI or IN carbine drill/practice events?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Any existing IL, WI or IN carbine drill/practice events?

I'll ask this here because there is no corresponding Regional Training Group subforum for our area.

Are there any existing drill or practice events similar to what is run by rob_s and/or his club down in FL? I'd like to start getting more structured practical carbine drill and practice in and have always found it works best when done with like-minded people.

If nothing like this exists around here, is anyone interested in discussing forming a group?
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    I'm from Chicago. Training groups are basically nonexistent around here. The only one I know of has cut waaaaaay back on courses and seems to be focusing on training instructors.

I'd be very interested in trying to get a group going if you don't mind a guy new to rifles. There's only one public range within driving distance and I've heard bad things, so I'm willing to travel.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    OK, that makes two of us! I'm all for an all-skill-level kind of deal.

I'll start researching venues for a monthly drill. Any ideas?
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Im in, and I will contribute whatever I can to the cause.

The biggest hurdle I foresee is finding a suitable/accessible range within a reasonable driving distance. I think N/W Indiana might be the best bet as far as a range goes.

Stay safe,
    Nick (Chicago, IL.)
    Last edited by nickdrak; 06-01-10 at 00:15.

Feedback Score
    Three prospects? We are getting deep. LOL.

I agree that NW Indiana will probably offer more venues. I once heard of an old quarry that was being used as a rifle range. I'll try to get in touch with the guy who told me about it if only to check out the acoustics.

Anyone heard of Buffalo Rock Range in Ottawa? Just looked them up. They allegedly have a 100yd rifle range open to public.

My department occasionally gets guest instructors passing through. CSAT taught a class last year. I'll ask around to see who sets them up. They might have good information.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markdh720 View Post
    Anyone heard of Buffalo Rock Range in Ottawa? Just looked them up. They allegedly have a 100yd rifle range open to public.
    Yeah, they only allow bench shooting on the 100yd range at Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by markdh720 View Post
    My department occasionally gets guest instructors passing through. CSAT taught a class last year. I'll ask around to see who sets them up. They might have good information.
    You work at Lake County? I was at the CSAT rifle class last June at the LCSPD range.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Have you researched the Aurora Sportsman Club?? I was at an RO class two weekends ago and there was a guy from ASC that organized their monthly practical rifle matches. He referred to them as 'drills' and said they utilized the Viking Tactics barrier a fair amount. Good luck in your search!!

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Im from NE Indiana, and I too have been curious about any "Range days" with fellow board members. What are Illinois laws on SBR's? Id prefer to do training with my SBR. I know Michigan is a no go for SBR's.

Ill do some checking on ranges in NW Indiana, seems like the halfway point for most. Id say check out ingunowners.com but that place drives me crazy. Not the smartest group of ppl there.
    Last edited by jwfuhrman; 06-01-10 at 06:39.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I believe IL is no go for any SBRs - I know we can't have them as residents. (Which is probably why I want a Kino so badly - forbidden fruit.) I'm all for an IN site for this reason if nothing else.

I have a friend who's a member at Aurora, I'll approach him. In the past Aurora had a strict members-only policy,. but their expenses are much higher now and maybe they've liberalized it a bit. I'll also look into whether they would consider a class lease of facilities.

Before I contact him, what characteristics do we need in a facility? It might help us all look for a suitable home if we had pre-defined requirements.

How far are we each willing to drive? I'm thinking up to two or three hours, much more than that is too much for a drive-shoot-drive day.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    Im from NE Indiana, and I too have been curious about any "Range days" with fellow board members. What are Illinois laws on SBR's? Id prefer to do training with my SBR. I know Michigan is a no go for SBR's.

Ill do some checking on ranges in NW Indiana, seems like the halfway point for most. Id say check out ingunowners.com but that place drives me crazy. Not the smartest group of ppl there.
    No SBR's in IL.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast