Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your funniest story from an AR class

Feedback Score

Your funniest story from an AR class

I attend approximately two carbine courses a month. Over the last few years, I've seen some funny weapons, support gear, and end users. My favorite:

In 2003, I attended a 3-day class in SoCal by ITTS. As usual with most classes, there was one student who was ill-prepared and frequently causing the course to stop. He was a civilian security guard with a brand-spanking new, shiny clean Blackhawk 4-mag subload (in "Tactical black"). To give you an idea of his skills: The whole line was prone and had already reloaded and continued firing with their new magazine, while he was still trying to figure out how to open (for the first time) the velcro/fastex buckle on his hip.

Well, for the upteenth time his weapon malfunctioned- This time due to an old beat up GI 30rd mag that was beyond repair. Instructor Scotty Reitz told him to ditch the magazine, explaining how mags don't last forever and should be considered disposable. The student insisted on keeping it and started to put it in his pocket to take home and save. It may be the fact that CA civilians can't buy them anymore, but who knows his rationale for keeping it. After much fuss, Scott grabbed the bad mag and threw it as hard as he could over the cliff of the range (Eagle's Nest area of Angeles Range). I'll never forget the look of horror on the student's face- You'd think the mag was a winning million dollar lottery ticket.

I'll never forgot that guy's face- I still crack up everytime I think of that incident.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisara
    I attend approximately two carbine courses a month. Over the last few years, I've seen some funny weapons, support gear, and end users. My favorite:

In 2003, I attended a 3-day class in SoCal by ITTS. As usual with most classes, there was one student who was ill-prepared and frequently causing the course to stop. He was a civilian security guard with a brand-spanking new, shiny clean Blackhawk 4-mag subload (in "Tactical black"). To give you an idea of his skills: The whole line was prone and had already reloaded and continued firing with their new magazine, while he was still trying to figure out how to open (for the first time) the velcro/fastex buckle on his hip.

Well, for the upteenth time his weapon malfunctioned- This time due to an old beat up GI 30rd mag that was beyond repair. Instructor Scotty Reitz told him to ditch the magazine, explaining how mags don't last forever and should be considered disposable. The student insisted on keeping it and started to put it in his pocket to take home and save. It may be the fact that CA civilians can't buy them anymore, but who knows his rationale for keeping it. After much fuss, Scott grabbed the bad mag and threw it as hard as he could over the cliff of the range (Eagle's Nest area of Angeles Range). I'll never forget the look of horror on the student's face- You'd think the mag was a winning million dollar lottery ticket.

I'll never forgot that guy's face- I still crack up everytime I think of that incident.

People become "married" to their gear for whatever reason. This is why we see so many knock down, drag out fights on the internet over gear selection.

A mag (even an HK mag) is a disposable item for sure.

C4

Feedback Score
    In 2003 with the AWB ban being still in effect I would treat a pre-ban magazine like a million dollar lottery ticket too.

I live in a permanent AWB state and I treat my pre-ban lower and magazines like gold(meaning I do not drag them behind my car or throw them off cliffs.)

Now even if a pre-ban magzine does not work I believe you can swap it with a new one from C-Products.

Now with that said I understand that magazines are "disposable" to a degree.

Maybe I would laugh if it did not happen to me, but if it did happen to me, I would not be amused.
    Jules Winnfield: "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions. ".

Feedback Score

Lightbulb pre ban mags

saint +1

they are disposable items, as they are cheap and easy to replace.

unless you are from one of the assault weapon ban states then they are not disposable items. as long as the body is good the rest can be refurbished. brownells makes a tool designed just to straighten the feed lips. followers, floor plates and sprgs. can all be replaced.

i feel the same way as you do about my pre ban stuff. we don't want to end up on the wrong side of the law. c products emailed me that they do not have date stamps on their mags.

i recently purchased 8 more pre ban mags for the collection. the owner felt he would rather buy new than overhaul thses. i don't care about the finish and have no problems installing new parts in them and bringing them back to life. i build a good magazine.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    <----- Getting the moose cock for NSR'ing a "good guy" because I read the faces of the people in the room instead of reading hands.

I blame it on my liberal ass major.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can beat all of them.

Chris "The Flasher" has to be my funniest class story.

How can you top a guy who rips his pants from his JOHNSON to his knees (Twice in one class!) and runs around the entire day in basically his underwear? Plus he shot damn awesome to boot.

It was damn funny to say the least.

Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger
    I can beat all of them.

Chris "The Flasher" has to be my funniest class story.

How can you top a guy who rips his pants from his JOHNSON to his knees (Twice in one class!) and runs the entire day in basically his underwear? Plus he shot damn awesome to boot.

It was damn funny to say the least.

Hey now, I've ripped the crotch outta my pants during a class once, so lets show a little mercy, okay?

Feedback Score
    Our fighting doctrine has held that magazines are disposable... therefore the reason for the cheap construction -- we are not at all like some nations who issue a handful of mags to a conscript and expect him to hold on the them for a career.

Back when I was a young man (Molly Hatchet was a new group) we even got a strange magazine to test: It was disposable in every sence... it could not be reloaded, it came preloaded with ammo, but for the spring and feed lips was all plastic and used a coil spring that had to be "wound up" with a zip-pull ring and lanyard at the bottom of the magazine before use.

Oh... as for funny stories, I have no humor
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Grant, what name did Super Dave keep calling you during that class?

Frank or Todd? That was pretty freaking funny to me

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by molsen
    Hey now, I've ripped the crotch outta my pants during a class once, so lets show a little mercy, okay?
    So have I, but I changed my pants ASAP so I wouldn't have my balls hanging out all day. Chris did it twice in 3 days and opted not to change, hence the hilarity. Every time we go to the range I give him the business over it. If he's not shooting well, inevitably someone will suggest he should be "balls out" for best efficiency.

Besides that, LAV giving Dinger the business during class was worth a chuckle or two. The quote's in your signature, Paul, give me a laugh every time I read them.

Not a "class" story, but I watched a guy fumble around trying to reload his pistol during a 3 gun match once, and after roughly 3 minutes he figured out the spare magazine he had was for an altogether different gun. That was so embarrassingly painful that I thought it would never end. Like a Ben Stiller movie.
    Principles matter.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast