Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your funniest story from an AR class

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero
    Besides that, LAV giving Dinger the business during class was worth a chuckle or two. The quote's in your signature, Paul, give me a laugh every time I read them.
    This ones mine:

“That’s a flinch of Biblical portions” - LAV

I certainly earned it.

Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    I'd like to take a few AR classes but I'm scared I'll end up on one of these lists.

Feedback Score
    Don't know if you are being facetious or not, but carefully consider this.
    Most everyone will commit some kind of act of omission, error or faux pas in any given class.
    From my standpoint, bringing this to the attention of the entire class provides me with a teaching point (actually, emphasizing a previous teaching point).
    I can bring humiliation to an art form (Right Harv?) not because i want to lower the malefactors self esteem, but because if we can't do it and have fun at someones expense, we lose the value of that potential teaching point.
    Everyone will feel this at some point.
    OK, not everyone. I have a rule of 100. If i tell you to do the same thing one hundred times and you can't function in the environment, you probably won't do it at 112, 346 or 1197.
    In other words, you are a non hacker. However, as long as it is a non safety issue, you can remain and have fun- but individual instruction will cease.
    Self esteem is a non starter in a fight. If people can't hang in training, they are certainly not going to do any better in the two way rifle range.
    Go to gunskul with a clear mind and be ready to learn. Accept that fact that- Euro gun makers claims aside- there is no perfection, and you will make mistakes. Learn from the mistakes and enjoy the ride, but also understand that attending one class- or one hundred- won't necessarily make you a gunfighter.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat_Rogers
    Most everyone will commit some kind of act of omission, error or faux pas in any given class.
    From my standpoint, bringing this to the attention of the entire class provides me with a teaching point (actually, emphasizing a previous teaching point).
    I can bring humiliation to an art form (Right Harv?) not because i want to lower the malefactors self esteem, but because if we can't do it and have fun at someones expense, we lose the value of that potential teaching point.
    OK, not everyone. I have a rule of 100. If i tell you to do the same thing one hundred times and you can't function in the environment, you probably won't do it at 112, 346 or 1197.
    In other words, you are a non hacker. However, as long as it is a non safety issue, you can remain and have fun- but individual instruction will cease.
    Self esteem is a non starter in a fight. If people can't hang in training, they are certainly not going to do any better in the two way rifle range.
    Go to gunskul with a clear mind and be ready to learn. Accept that fact that- Euro gun makers claims aside- there is no perfection, and you will make mistakes. Learn from the mistakes and enjoy the ride, but also understand that attending one class- or one hundred- won't necessarily make you a gunfighter.

I see alot shooters take instructors input (designed to help them) in a negative way and become insulted. I can only think that a lot of people are not used to people telling them what they are doing is wrong or that they are a perfect shooter.

C4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisara
    ...After much fuss, Scott grabbed the bad mag and threw it as hard as he could over the cliff of the range....
    When I was a cop, my partner (Mike) and I both helped run the range. One of the officers was having issues with his duty pistol and it was obvious that the problem was due to one magazine. During a cease-fire, Mike walked over and asked to see the magazine. It was a really cheesy aftermarket magazine that obviously wasn't suitable for duty use.

Mike held the magazine out and when the officer reached for it, he "accidentally" dropped it on the ground. As the officer started to bend down and pick it up, "CRUNCH!" Mike stomped it flat with his big 'ole steel-toed boot! "Oops," he said. "I guess you're going to need a new magazine. This time buy one from Sig." The officer didn't think it was funny but I laughed so hard I thought I was going to wet my pants!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Originally Posted by Pat_Rogers
    Amen Brother....

Hell, Half the reason I go to class is to mercilessly pick on some poor Dump Bastard who pooches a Tac reload in between drills. (Opps, forgot, that was me... )

Big Boy rules in class roll over to the real world I figure. if your gonna get all Girlie cause some one ripped on ya a little bit, it's gonna be a shock when some one's trying to kill ya...

As to funny stories... there was a guy in a class a few years ago who showed up with a 550 cord Sling. We all looked at him like he had a third arm growing out the side of his head. he was graciously offered several sling hook ups from the Instructor, but he shrugged it off. Said he would be fine. Guess what he was NOT using at the start of day 2... And he was a pretty good shooter.

Feedback Score
    My memory fails me Pat- was he in one of my classes?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh yeah, one of Cpt Kens classes. about 2 years ago. He finally took either you or some one else's offer to replace the 550 cord with a real sling. And I thought I was a frugal cheap Bastard....

Feedback Score
    Roger- i remember now. There are enough good slings out there to make me wonder why someone wants to resort to ad hockery.

Feedback Score
    [quote]Don't know if you are being facetious or not, but carefully consider this.
    Most everyone will commit some kind of act of omission, error or faux pas in any given class.[/qote]

I'm only one-quarter serious. I'm ready to make mistakes, so long as they are NOT safety-related. Generally someone only has to tell me something about thirty times before I pick up on it.

Mainly I need to stop procrastinating and just go to a class. FIRE Institute is local to me, and from what I've heard they have a decent rep.

Don't have any funny AR class stories, but I'll always remember the time a local police officer pegged a "hostage" right between the eyes during an informal night of IPSC shooting. When he came off the firing line we all had those little round stickers on our foreheads.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast