Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Carbine Nights

Feedback Score
    Im there.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    looks like Im free to come out for September.

what should I know ?

Feedback Score
    Bring a reliable carbine and pistol, a few hundred rounds, and some Jolly Ranchers.

We've done shooting and moving, reloads, and various shooting positions. After a few hours we tend to move to requested drills or marksmanship challenges.

It's a "building block" type thing, so in theory, you'll be coming in on the "advanced" stages, but if you can run your gun without accidentally shooting yourself (or anyone else), you should be good. I don't think there'll be any "prerequisites" or anything.

Feedback Score
    No M855 ammo!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by huklbrry View Post
    No M855 ammo!!!!
    That's alright, I'll bring SS109 instead.

Feedback Score
    Is everything still on for Tuesday, Aug. 10th?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Complication View Post
    Bring a reliable carbine and pistol, a few hundred rounds, and some Jolly Ranchers.

We've done shooting and moving, reloads, and various shooting positions. After a few hours we tend to move to requested drills or marksmanship challenges.

It's a "building block" type thing, so in theory, you'll be coming in on the "advanced" stages, but if you can run your gun without accidentally shooting yourself (or anyone else), you should be good. I don't think there'll be any "prerequisites" or anything.
    He hit the nail squarely on the head. A good carbine/pistol set up and the associated gear to work out of, no prerequisites.

We are set to go for Tuesday the 10th. If time allows I've got some new drills I need guinea pigs for soooo you guys are nominated I'd like to do some low light stuff to.

Scott

Feedback Score
    I'll need to remember to pick up some .223 from WalMart for steel. All I've got is M855/SS109.

Feedback Score
    Not my favorite night but I had to bail early and missed the low-light stuff.

Way too hot and I definitely got ahead of myself with the carbine shooting (although I was quite happy with my pistol performance). Some folks looked like they picked up some go-fast-gear at a gun show and had some trouble using it or weren't really that familiar with it. Luckily (for the rest of us) I only saw them flagging themselves. Makes you appreciate a little caution with unknown quantities and that when you've got that many people out and about with hot guns everyone needs to be super mindful of their muzzle and retain positive control over their long guns (which doesn't include walking around holding on just to the butt of the stock ). It may just have been the heat and humidity which made everyone a little tired and hazy.

We did some really kickass drills tonight (I especially enjoy the 1-4, 4-1 drill) but I would have been more comfortable if we slowed it down a little or ran smaller strings. I felt a little nervous on occasion; a lot of people at a lot of different skill levels, running at a lot of different speeds, doing some complex drills that not everyone full understood--it could be a lot to try and keep track of.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Complication View Post
    Not my favorite night but I had to bail early and missed the low-light stuff. Don't sweat it, we just dicked around with pistols, lights and steel. You didn't miss much. There was only three of us shooting by then. I was able to redeem the Glock honor on the walk-back drill, in low light no less.

Way too hot and I definitely got ahead of myself with the carbine shooting (although I was quite happy with my pistol performance). Some folks looked like they picked up some go-fast-gear at a gun show and had some trouble using it or weren't really that familiar with it. Luckily (for the rest of us) I only saw them flagging themselves. Makes you appreciate a little caution with unknown quantities and that when you've got that many people out and about with hot guns everyone needs to be super mindful of their muzzle and retain positive control over their long guns (which doesn't include walking around holding on just to the butt of the stock ). It may just have been the heat and humidity which made everyone a little tired and hazy. Apparently I missed a few things I should have caught. It did seem like everyone was kinda off their game. I wrote it off to the heat (?) But maybe not.

We did some really kickass drills tonight (I especially enjoy the 1-4, 4-1 drill) but I would have been more comfortable if we slowed it down a little or ran smaller strings. I felt a little nervous on occasion; a lot of people at a lot of different skill levels, running at a lot of different speeds, doing some complex drills that not everyone full understood--it could be a lot to try and keep track of.Agreed, I need to dial it back a bit. Some of the newer guys were a little overwhelmed. I'll be cutting the line in half next time. I appreciate the honest assessment, thanks!
    I'll have to see what I can come up with for next month. Maybe some more individual drills to keep a tighter handle on things. It might help with the newer guys.

Scott
    Last edited by wedgehead30; 08-11-10 at 00:03.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast