Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the min 200 posts in GD helped?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DTHN2LGS View Post
    NO.

I wanted to give some useful input to the Oxpho-Blue thread, but was unable to do so. I used to work as a gunsmith and had used it regularly. I won't know how many post I have until I see this one on there.
    well, poopskittles... feel free to PM me. i'll quote your input in the thread, even.

---

i have, without a doubt, noticed an increase in weirdness in the rest of the board. long-dead threads are being exhumed for stupid one-liner comments or redundant questions, and i'm seeing more redundant/stupid one-liners in New Post threads in general.

not whining, just answering the question.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 06-04-10 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    I think it's helped quite a bit.
    I agree. That, and a bit more moderation have improved the signal:noise. Thanks to all for you efforts.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I think recent admonishments are still in everyone's mind, so behavior is a bit altered. The real test will be to ask this question in a month or two.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At my old pace it would have been 2015 or so before I could post in GD again. I'm trying to participate a bit more now (while still striving only to post when I have something to add to a conversation), so maybe I'll get there sometime this year

I do think it's helped. Seems like there's less BS to wade through. Time will tell...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post
    ...but I can honestly say I log in a lot less now.
    Cyclic nature of web forums. Even if no changes happened at all, there would be attrition for one reason or another.

In some cases, the attrition is favorable. In some, it's not. Not a whole lot we can do about it, but we can cut down on problem posts, moderation, and setting a favorable tone for the forum.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Unquestionably, it has helped a great deal.

When newer members arrive, and immediately gravitate toward posting on GD, they miss something of enormous value: the time spent quietly sitting at the the computer, reading over various threads, learning new things that have real-world applicability, and -- most importantly -- assimilating the culture of the site.

This is not to say that we wish to squelch anyone by virtue of his join date or post count, but M4C is not a free-for-all forum, and we place great value on the process of focused contribution. Once a member has learned where and how to add to more substantive discussions, then he is much better prepared to enjoy the GD board without turning it (however inadvertently) into a collection for the banal, the ridiculous and the stupid.

In other words, GD should be the last place that a member eventually begins to add his input, rather than the first.

"Wait a minute," you say. "That is totally backwards from the way that every other internet forum operates!"

Yes, it is, and noticing that is perhaps the first and most critical step toward understanding what M4C is all about. The post-count restriction for GD is wholly deliberate, and well-calculated. It is there to insure that those who do eventually migrate to posting on GD are already well-established members, have demonstrated that they are here for the right reasons, are capable of adhering to a professional standard, and have established a measurable record of contribution (note: "me too" and "i want one coz that looks so awesome!!!!!" posts are not viewed as contributions).

If it is beginning to sound as if we are saying that new members have something to prove before they can really enjoy the full scope of M4C, then the intent of the 200 post count minimum is being correctly understood. They do have something to prove. They need to demonstrate that they are capable of serious-minded discussion and professional exchange. They need to show us that they are grown-ups. Again, most importantly, they need to reaffirm their understanding of the site's culture.

Class is in session, and it is a time for learning. Recess is coming, too ... but not before you reach the 200 post minimum. If this makes perfect sense to you, then welcome -- you're precisely the kind of member we're looking to add to our ranks, and we're delighted that you have chosen to join us! If this sounds cruel or unnecessarily restrictive, then perhaps now is not a good time for you to step up your involvement, because we aren't the droids you're looking for.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    I also discovered by accident that those who pony up to support the site can post in GD with less than 200 posts. That works out pretty well. If you're a jackass in GD, at least you're a paying jackass.
    I realize that you are just being lighthearted about this, but lest the point be missed in some quarters, the only reason that this exemption exists is because a sponsor member has already stepped up to the plate and indicated something about his commitment to the site and his understanding of its larger objectives.

No amount of monetary support is going to result in a hall pass being given to a member who fails to maintain the standard.

AC
    Last edited by Army Chief; 06-05-10 at 10:19.
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    I realize that you are just being lighthearted about this, but lest the point be missed in some quarters, the only reason that this exemption exists is because a sponsor member has already stepped up to the plate and indicated something about his commitment to the site and his understanding of its larger objectives.

No amount of monetary support is going to result in a hall pass being given to a member who fails to maintain the standard.

AC

Correct. Being a site sponsor does not allow you to be rude and make worthless posts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I think recent admonishments are still in everyone's mind, so behavior is a bit altered. The real test will be to ask this question in a month or two.

I've thought the very same thing. But I doubt it will revert too far.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    Heck I've been wondering why I couldn't post in there anymore. Guess I missed something!!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast