Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the min 200 posts in GD helped?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    I realize that you are just being lighthearted about this, but lest the point be missed in some quarters, the only reason that this exemption exists is because a sponsor member has already stepped up to the plate and indicated something about his commitment to the site and his understanding of its larger objectives.

No amount of monetary support is going to result in a hall pass being given to a member who fails to maintain the standard.

AC
    Absolutely. I was most definitely joking, and I hope some goofball doesn't think a little cash is a "get out of jail free" card. I think the operative word in my earlier post is "jackass".

I can honestly say that the contribution to the site is small potatoes compared to what I would have spent buying junk that doesn't work. For me personally, it's the least I can do. The way I see it, I'm in debt up to my eyeballs for all the information received.
    I didn't build this post. Somebody else made that happen.

Feedback Score
    Well, as a newbie just this week, it took me a while to figure out what the GD forum was. I could not find a GD Forum. Then, it dawned on me. General Discussion. No loss for me, as that is a part of forums I almost never look at. It is nice to know I’ve joined a forum that is oriented towards the firearm end of things and keeping peace, and making sure discussions stay civil, informative, and friendly. My kind of place.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's weird that I can't post there.... 1,033 posts.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 06-06-10 at 01:05.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

Cameron
    Kiwi filter?
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

Cameron
    Should be GTG now.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    If nothing else, it's gonna help with trolling. Watch. Come September, as the elections draw near, a lot of gun boards are going to light up with nastiness from anti's trolling gun forums.

For now, though, I think that self-moderation is going to be key.

I did not weigh in on the GD threads b/c I DO frequent and post in GD more than other places, in large part because I don't see myself as a resource outside of the handgun arena. I think the minimum will help in the long run, and I think that it'll be up to noobs like me to just keep the gob shut and post less.
    Last edited by mattjmcd; 06-06-10 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    In response to the question posted by the OP I can answer from my point of view. By reading the discussion about getting rid of the GD it has greatly enhanced my perspective on how the staff views irrelevant and 'immature' posts/threads. I have never really been on another forum and posted threads and replies on another forum (with the exception of a very few on the m&p pistol site). With the lack of experience I would honestly post stupid stuff and post threads in the wrong place. I was new and just didn't know. Read the twitterfication of m4c on here. The example used is my thread to my shame! The discussion on the thread about removing the GD plus the twitterfication of m4c has been an eye opener to me on what I need to talk about. I can't be the only one with this observation and by that point of view what the staff has done has definitely helped. So new guys reading this here is my advice:

1. There are guys on here with knowledge oodles above your own and that is not knocking your own experience or skill set.

2. Post only if your have INTIMATE knowledge of the topic.

3. If you have a question use the search function FIRST! If that is not working then go to Google with the question and whatever it is, add m4c to the end of said question. Realize and understand that the moderators and staff have a busy life outside of the forum just like you and would enjoy life better without having to perform 'overtime' straightening out a question that could have been done by yourself with some research.

4. If you are new resist the urge to post (except for the INTIMATE knowledge that may contribute) and just read the replies.

5. The last thing to someone new on here is to read JohnWayne777's sticky (should be on the top of every topic) on the culture and purpose of M4Carbine. It says it all and is straightforward and to the point. Thanks,

-Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 06-07-10 at 22:42.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Its worked very well, so well in fact you might consider raising it to 250 or 300. Or when members reach that 200 post count determine if they've added value to the forum.

Honestly I just get tired of reading responses by people who have not a clue of what they're posting about, but continue to do so.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjmcd View Post
    If nothing else, it's gonna help with trolling. Watch. Come September, as the elections draw near, a lot of gun boards are going to light up with nastiness from anti's trolling gun forums.

For now, though, I think that self-moderation is going to be key.

I did not weigh in on the GD threads b/c I DO frequent and post in GD more than other places, in large part because I don't see myself as a resource outside of the handgun arena. I think the minimum will help in the long run, and I think that it'll be up to noobs like me to just keep the gob shut and post less.
    I think this is a VERY good point to be made...

I know that just about any Forum where people get online and talk about any sort of topic (Be that cars, girls, guns, sports, whatever) is usually overrun by politics eventually, especially around election time. Add in the fact that we are all (a general assumption to follow) in pretty much the same boat together as gun owners, and I think it's a very practical, constructive decision on the Staff's/Mod's part.

~Bobby
    Fact of life:

Although the EAGLE may soar proudly through the skies, it is very rare for the Weasel to be sucked into a jet engine.

Feedback Score
    In case no one realized it, the Welcome to M4C/Intro Thread is on the GD board.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast