Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Novice 1st Impressions: ACR vs. SCAR

Feedback Score

about the SCAR...

the big thing I herd about the SCAR was that anything that they attached to the bottom rail was being directly affected by the heat of firing the rifle because it was to close or touching the barrel...

any accessories were almost melting.

Velcro
    "surrounded Hell, Now we can just shoot in every direction" - Chesty Puller

VELCRO

.....but what do I know, I'm just a FK'N Armorer!

Feedback Score

Thumbs up ACR for me

Having a couple of hundred rounds thru my ACR now, I'm satisfied with my chioce over the SCAR. I like a little heath plus great looks
    (basis model) and accurate.....3/4" at 100. Maybe not be for everyone, but works for me. Bullets and beans for the future.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback on the review. The recoil is interesting, as I thought the heavier rifle would handle it better. I would love to shoot both rifles with a suppressor!

I also agree that there is a subjective factor, too - possibly based upon shooting experience. You folks out there who really know how to properly hold the rifle may experience very little perceived recoil difference between different platforms.

It would seem that design could also be a partial factor as brought up in a previous post. How far off of bore axis is the recoil impulse? How effective is the recoil buffer system? How much mass is moving on recoil? How much of a difference does a muzzle brake contribute? I would imagine that all of these can make a difference - perhaps it is the balance of these (and other) design factors combined.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What is the actual weight difference between SCAR and ACR?

ACR has a Government profile barrel, which would account for some of the difference. That would also make it more front-heavy.
    Last edited by wild_wild_wes; 06-07-10 at 22:46.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My SCAR weighs exactly 7.5 lbs bare (without optic, sling etc.) with following weight distribution: upper 4 lbs, BCG 1 lbs 6 oz, lower with stock 2 lbs 2 oz.
    Comparing to similarly weighted AR (3 lbs 13 oz upper - 11.4 oz bcg - 2 lbs 10 oz lower/stock) , the front balance of SCAR is evident. Also evident is double the moving mass of bcg, as I had mentioned earlier.
    Maybe our ACR owners can measure theirs for comparison.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ACR has been confirmed to weigh 8.2lbs which is the listed weight. Its front heavy due to most of the metal being in front of the magwell. SCAR has a lightweight profile on the barrel as well. ACR lightweight barrel in 1:7 would be nice.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    IMO the heavier acr was easier to run because of the weight, in compa
    rison to the scar. My acr now has a PWS break and its very nice. Recoil is less than the scar.

With that being said the only thing wrong with the scar is the manufacture .
    Last edited by lowjack; 06-08-10 at 10:15.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Has anyone carried the ACR for about 8hrs straight in 1 day? I am thinking about buying one for tactical carbine courses but would like to know how it feels or how tired one will get towards mid-day or end of the day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lowjack View Post
    With that being said the only thing wrong with the scar is the manufacture .
    Care to elaborate?
    Clint Lynch
    Sentinel Design LLC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clynch View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Fn isn't releasing parts for them , quote from them "never". Everything breaks and when it does you will have to send it back to the factory .I was at a eag tactical class and yep one broke and had to be sidelined because their are not parts for them. Sure would be nice if you could get an extra BCG hint,hint.

That's whey I bought an ACR and just shoot my bros scar every now and then. 8 do like them
    Last edited by lowjack; 06-08-10 at 15:04.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast