Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: checked out a "Remington" 1911 R1 at the gunshop today

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opmike View Post
    That's a damn shame.

We need a BCM 1911.
    Apples and Oranges, unfortunately...With the AR platform, just about everything is "drop in" if you're upgrading. With a 1911, about the only "drop in" upgrade is swapping out grips. OK, there are more...but so much on a 1911 requires a good 'smith to fit.
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by willowofwisp View Post
    i am not really surprised by this at all..
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    i seem to recall predicting another second rate 1911 with this one
    Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems you still get a $600 1911 for $600. I'm only surprised that people are surprised.
    I got to jump on the bandwagon here.

If it was possible to make a good quality 1911 at these prices and sell it at a profit it would have happened. Unless their is some sort of revolution in the manufacture of these guns or one of the many expensive steps in its production and marketing its not going to happen.

Feedback Score
    I was actually more focused on the "prototype" and "1911" piece of this article. it's common for new 1911's to need some break in. I've had plenty of new $2k plus 1911's that needed a break in period. I've seen four or five of these pistols now. All had really good fit and finish for the price. It remains to be seen how well they shoot or hold up under sustained use but I'm quite a bit more impressed than i expected to be.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman2000 View Post
    From the Shooting times article:

The author found Remington’s new 1911 R1 natural in the hand with good pointability and easily controllable recoil.

The prototype pistol performed well, though there were a few failures to eject.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velcro View Post
    We actually found a couple of these in Iraq in a footlocker that was seized in a cache find...shot beautifully!!!

...couldn't get it home though!LOL!

Velcro
    I think the whole no weapons thing it bullshit. My grandfather and my father both brought weapons back from Europe and Vietnam...as far back as history goes warrior were able to bring back war trophies!! Some of the nicest personal collections people have in this country are filled with weapons that were brought back from foreign wars.

My buddy found a box containing 2 custom engraved Colt .45 revolvers!! I bet the set was worth 25K or more.....He had to leave it behind when he came back!! That is BS....
    " In War, Strife, and Acts of Bravery, it's always the strong one's that get taken from the GENE POOL......and we wonder why society is getting weaker!!!" - by me

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HK45 View Post
    Its made in Illion, New York.
    My grandfather worked for Remington Arms in Illion his whole life. He was so proud of the workmanship they did....I bet he's rolling over in his grave.
    My Dad grew up in Richfield Springs just up the mountain from Illion it's a beautiful part of the country. I think the the quality initially went down when Rem Arms was bought by Dupont....I guess it's still going down hill from there.

Regards,

r
    " In War, Strife, and Acts of Bravery, it's always the strong one's that get taken from the GENE POOL......and we wonder why society is getting weaker!!!" - by me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HK51Fan View Post
    I think the whole no weapons thing it bullshit. My grandfather and my father both brought weapons back from Europe and Vietnam

My grandfather worked for Remington Arms in Illion his whole life. He was so proud of the workmanship they did....I bet he's rolling over in his grave.
    There is nothing wrong with the workmanship of these 1911's.

As to weapons some people got greedy and stupid and started shipping huge amounts of full auto weapons, selling them etc. The current policies, as far as I know, were greatly influenced by this event. As I remember he had stowed these on his Lear jet.

"Admiral Metcalf, commander of the Atlantic Second Fleet at the time, was placed in charge of what was code named Operation Urgent Fury. In 1985, it became public that Customs officials had stopped him and a staff member from bringing 24 Soviet AK-47 automatic rifles back from Grenada to distribute as souvenirs. The guns were surrendered, and Admiral Metcalf received a nonpunitive warning after saying he had not known that importing automatic rifles violated federal law.
    But nine lower-ranking servicemen were court-martialed and sentenced to hard labor for similar offenses. The secretary of the Navy, John F. Lehman Jr., later pointed out that some of the enlisted men had not only brought in the weapons, but also sold them."

http://johnib.wordpress.com/2007/03/...on-of-grenada/

I was in Beirut at the time courtesy of the USMC and when this happened we had a serious crackdown on anything and everything brought back. Of course the Admiral got a slap on the wrist but lower ranks got their ass handed to them for the exact same offense. Shocking I know...
    Last edited by HK45; 06-13-10 at 22:01.

Feedback Score
    It oughtta be called the 1911 Express!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234