Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 racing coming to Austin 2012

Feedback Score
    F1 = Yawn

BUT - having been withing spitting distance of Alonso's Renault as he ran up and down the streets in Spain after winning his championship was life changing.

This is good news as I have been in the process of applying to UT McCombs for a couple months now - and this should fit my dates nicely.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

I've been quietly following this development for some time. Hopefully, "Bernie and the Zombies" won't make ridiculous demands and kill it leaving Austin with huge debts.

The best cars and best drivers not far from me; of course, when I was in Detroit I had free tickets...

Hopefully, the track will be superb with several places to pass and no oval-with-an-infield.

Now if McLaren can get their diffuser working with their exhausts Hamilton can become a two-time WDC. Button is doing very well against him, though. Red Bull driver will win it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WEC View Post
    I'd like to think that Austin would step up its game for such global events as a Formula 1 race, possibly allowing more direct flights for that week or so span.
    Austin isn't stopping nonstop flights. The major US airlines run everything thru thier hubs and Austin is not a hub.

As someone who flies frequently from AIB, I am not even sure how ABI justifies the word "international" in their name. I think at one time there were a couple of flights directly from Mexico.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markdh720 View Post
    Good for you guys in TX, but this is BS for me.

By the time I was old enough and able to afford to go to the USGP, the Michelin tire fiasco happened. I figured I lucked out and would make it the next year. BAM! Cancelled! Indianapolis would have been a 90 minute drive for me. TX? Out of my budget once again!

On the other hand, I have friends around Austin, so if this actually happens, I would probably fork over the dough to be at the return of the USGP.
    LOL

I was there in 2005 when the all the Michellin runners went into the pits after the instalation lap, I got to see a 6 car race! 2 Ferraris, 2 Jordans and 2 Minardis. Imagine who won?

We were sitting right on the start finish line. Get to see Michael and Rubens go by in the 2 Ferraris. Wait about 45 seconds and see the other 4 cars. I have video of a riot about to break out with people holding signs saying "BLACK FLAGTHE RACE"

Went back in 2006 because they gave us free tickets. Got to see Michael win again, but this time for real. Took this photo of him at the turn 7-8-9 complex in Friday afternoon practice:

Went again in 2007, I was not fortunate enough to see Kimi get a win for Ferrari, but that was the year he won the championship and I got to take this photo of him, once again at the turn 7-8-9. Its the only place that someone without a press pass can get a clean photo withough the safety fence being in the way.

Then they has their stage show, was late to it, but was able to get a photo as well:

Last year, turns out my mom if "friendly" with a woman who knows his wife very well, and who's husband works for Ferrari SpA. Send them a copy of the photo which returned to me about 5 weeks later with a personal messege signed by Kimi!

Needless to say I am a Tufoso. Crazy Tufoso for that matter. Had Ferrari badges on my face in 2006 and 2007, have a section of my closet dedicated for Ferrari team gear lol.

I can't wait for the USPG again, but living in NJ, Canada might be faster and cheaper to get to. Can't wait to see how the track develops. Indy was boring, but it was close and CHEAP! Canada is over $300/person for okay seats for Fri/Sat/Sun We has awesome seats at trun 1, about 20 rows back for $110 and $20 for Fri/Sat at Indy. Thursdays were free for anyone with a race ticket. I doubt any USGP will be that cheap ever again.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Great pics, Alex!
    "We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
    Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WEC View Post
    Great pics, Alex!
    Thank you sir!

Can't wait till I finaly go to another GP. Will give me reason to dust off the camera gear once again.

My parents are going to Belgium at the end of the month, and guess what, not going to Spa to see the Belgian Grand Prix... I was like WTF!

Feedback Score
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85604

Hopefully I can make it to the race.
    ...I WON"T BE THE VICTIM, BUT THE FIRST TO CAST A STONE...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would definately go if this deal takes off. Would be fun to do some recreational driving on the track too.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    I would definately go if this deal takes off. Would be fun to do some recreational driving on the track too.

Id love to take my 350Z around a GP track.

Also hope Moto GP comes here at some point. Laguna was nice but doesn't really do well for a bike. I rode a Gixxer for 4 years, and would LOVE to see a Moto race in person....

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    More good news as the plans progress:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...ns_finish.html

Gents, it sure looks like it's going to happen!
    "We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
    Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast