Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another Colorado guy here. New to the forum and this is my first post. However i'm on several other Gun and Jeep forums, so some of you may or may not recognise my screename. Been shooting the AR variation of rifles for several years now, but just recently (little over a year ago) bought my own, and now i've become more interested in the higher end rifles and building my own, so here I am. Just got my BCM 14.5" Pinned upper in on Friday, so that is my current project. Looking forward to some good discussions.

Feedback Score
    Welcome. A good group here.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So I am taking the wife camping for our anniversary. We are thinking of going up to Red Feather lakes and finding a secluded spot somewhere up there; however I have not been up there in about 10 years and when I went it was pretty secluded. Some family members have told me that it is way bussier now-a-days.
    Anyone know of a very SECLUDED campsite in Colorado that is within about 6 hours drive from Denver (We are staying a night in Denver and Leaving from there).
    Or can anyone confirm the claims that near red feather lakes is too busy now-a-days for secluded camping. OR confirm that there is still places to find up there that are secluded enough?
    I never go to actual camp-sites, but find stuff off the beaten path and build a campsite up if I cannot find one secluded enough.

I just want some peace and quite with the wife on our anniversary, we are going to fish, hike, target shoot and cook a copious amount of food.

If someone knows a nice "Secret" spot and is willing to share (My lips are sealed; PM me if you so choose to share), I will keep it secret and be sure to clean it up meticulously.

I really want to see as few people as possible on this trip and any help from this site/Coloradoan's would be much appreciated.

The last time I went up to Red Feather you could find a nice secluded spot and never see another camper for days; anyone been there recently to confirm either way about it being busy/crowded?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by THCDDM4; 06-30-10 at 11:11. Reason: Added info.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    Would be sweet to have an open range somewhere without lanes. Somewhere to shoot on the move, multiple targets set far apart, etc..

Anyone know of a place?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Had one up near Allenspark but the screwups recently succeeded in getting it closed

Feedback Score
    Howdy! Golden/Lakewood here.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    Thanks Chavez, I'll check it out!
    did u check it out???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chavez_e_chavez View Post
    did u check it out???
    I found out I am out of town on thsoe dates so I am going to have to look into a future class. Thanks again for the info though; I really wish I could make it.

Just an update:
    Plenty of secluded camping can still be found up north of red feather lakes. Just pick a far out dirt road and have fun digging in. We didn't see a soul for the week we were there. I heard a few trucks passing by, but no persons to be seen. It was beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by THCDDM4; 07-19-10 at 13:37.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    Anybody got an HK45 or HK45C I can try out? Dunno if I should dump my M&Ps for them.

Ill pay for ammo or bring some of my blasters.

Feedback Score
    Long time transplant from the east coast now living in Littleton.

That impromptu range just south of Pine Junction looks like a possibility, I'll have to check it out soon. I've been looking for isolated places to shoot in the National Forest and that looks like it might be a good possible, its about 35 miles or so from the house. Thanks Marshall!

Otherwise I've had to find out of the way places off forest service roads, just east of Kenosha Pass, the closest is about 50-55 miles one way and there is always a concern with potential campers close by, not to mention being summer time locations only for the most part due to winter time snow and accessibility.

Pawnee is great place to shoot, especially in the winter if the snow is thin, but it's 130 miles one way minimum and makes for a long drive and sometime gamble on the snow/road conditions.

I prefer to shoot off the beaten path when at all possible. The wife and I along with a couple of shooting buddies like to play carbine and pistol course, running from 5-300 yards.

One of these day's I'd really like to get down to Pueblo if nothing else to just watch if that is possible.
    Last edited by Jitterbug; 09-04-10 at 08:24.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast