Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UTG Under The Gun Gear experinces.

Feedback Score
    Every piece of Blackhawk gear that I saw in Iraq had a life of under 2 months. I can't believe that they are run by a vet.

ETA: I have heard good things about their kydex holsters though. I'm not sure if they just market them, or actually produce them (my money is on marketing since they DO have that area down to an art).
    I keep hearing about my gun rights, but I just can't seem to find them.

Feedback Score
    That I wouldnt doubt in the least.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the Eagle Ciras? Thats a hefty coin for a vest.

Im looking for the next vest. When my UTG breaks ill replace it with something quality.

Rob

Feedback Score

Spec Ops Gear

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Ugggg -- Spec Ops gear...
    You know I will never figure out why the PX lets them peddle their crap there.
    I obviously wasn't aware of their deficiencies KevinB. I sure would like to know from your experience, what you would recommend and maybe some of the sketchy ones to stay away from. PM me so as not to highjack this thread.

BTW, disregard my last post regarding Spec Ops Gear because my opinion is based on less experience than KevinB.
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    use what works for you

yes theres a bit of sarcasm there, but it is not like it isnt well-earned from whomever you speak to BPG has been dinged on their business practices, from locations of factories, and wholesale copying of of companys efforts.

UTG is spotty at best, and the examples I have examined left much to be desired in a variety of ways.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLovinTexan View Post
    That I wouldnt doubt in the least.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the Eagle Ciras? Thats a hefty coin for a vest.

Im looking for the next vest. When my UTG breaks ill replace it with something quality.

Rob
    do you have the armor to go in it? if not, then its really is somewhat pointless to buy this hefty coin item. The soft armor (actual SPEAR/BALCS pattern cut) goes a long way to making this setup structurally sound for loadbearing.

oh and the armor is about another 800-1100 worth of coin.

the CIRAS does the job, is comfortable relatively and affords to cutaway feature

it is quite the jump to go to a CIRAS from a UTG unit

Feedback Score

Cool

Blackhawk is NOT considered to be GTG or cream of the crop.

Eagle, ATS (Lightfighter), S.O.Tech, LBT, Paraclete, Tactical tailor, TAG, Specter slings, all GTG.
    I know I'm forgetting a few.....

I own some Blackhawk stuff. It's OK, just not top shelf gear.
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"
    Psalms 144:1
    KJV

Feedback Score
    I have my reason for the big jump to Ciras unit from the UTG. I dont like having the zipper or buckles in the middle of my chest in my opinion it takes away versatilty in the vest.

Rob

I figured Eagle was GTG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run a CIRAS -- its a good piece of kit -- if you need plates and soft amor.

However I think if you DONT, that your better served by other rigs.

Any company can put out a Lemon -- and some "iffy" companies can make one or two pieces of good gear (by accident I think with some...)

I been issued or bought 17 different rigs over the years to end where I am now -- and I have two basic setup now for work - a high pro rig (my CIRAS) and a lower pro (Eagle Plate carrier).

my GTG list (which is by no means all ecompassing) is (and in no particular order)

Eagle
    Paraclete
    HSGI
    TAG
    ENDOM
    EGGROL
    CSM Gear
    Maxpedition
    Kifaru
    DBT
    PSP
    Tactical Tailor
    ATS
    SOE Gear (John Willis - not his ex, althought he can be a PITA he makes excellent gear)

I have a Spec Ops rigger belt which is decent but not as nice as my Spectre gear ones. (I have three of the Spectre gear belts -- but nothing esle so I hesitate to make a blanket statement that they are GTG)
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    The only UTG product I have is a rifle case that fits my M&P-15 just right. I got it at a gun show table that had lots of cases on it, and was trying to cram my rifle, Short Dot and SureFire 900A and all, into one tapered case after another for 10 minutes as the helpful lady looked on. I finally managed to get the zipper of one case around the VFG and was about to reluctantly buy it when she said, "how about one of these square ones over here?"

Square ones?

I'm glad I had somebody around to save me from myself. A minute later I had a case that fit my rifle perfectly, and with a great big side pocket that I soon found out will hold mags, boxed rifle and pistol ammo, bulbs, batts, traffic vest, dry socks, Mil-Dot Master, a couple cans of Chef Boy-Ar-Dee, a complete criminal and traffic statute book, and a paperback or two for those idle evenings in the hospital babysitting mental cases.

Now when I go on patrol all I have to do is throw this case and my plate carrier, which actually has plates in it thanks to a good deal I was able to work last year, in the FTO's trunk, remembering to turn on the scope dot. The rest of the time, my UTG case sits in the POV trunk with enough other stuff against it to hold it zipper-up. I keep the rifle in cruiser safe with BFG sling folded just so, and it's less than 10 seconds from locked trunk to Condition 1.

Of course you can do the same thing with any other rifle case that's rectangular and has a "taco" zipper. I have no experience with UTG gear that's meant for hard use, but I'm deliriously happy with their case. As I recall, it was inexpensive too, and I was able to buy ONE HK mag with the savings ... then they invented PMAGS, dangit.
    When life gives you lemons, insert copper and zinc wires in them and repeatedly shock your tongue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123