Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All QD swivels created equal?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

All QD swivels created equal?

With so many QD swivels available, is any particular one really better than the others?

I’ve read about several instances where the button was inadvertently pressed, resulting in a dropped weapon. What do you guys prefer? Pronounced button, or recessed like the one offered my MI?: http://jupiter.digi-dial.com/midwest...category_id=99

Some have a flatter loop, while others are more rounded. Any experiences with them bunching up a sling?

Any particular brands of note?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    DD and Vltor seem to sell good ones. I have noticed a few slight compatibility issues, like Vltor swivels not locking into the CASV forearm, and I seem to remember something similar with either DD or Troy. It's been a couple years since I've run into it so I can't quite remember the details. And those issues may have been fixed by now.

CAA/TDI/whatever-they-call-themselves-today sells chinese made swivels. They're junk.
    Last edited by Sanpete; 09-09-12 at 22:41.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanpete View Post
    CAA/TDI/whatever-they-call-themselves-today sells chinese made swivels. They're junk.
    I agree. U.S. only.
    Last edited by Bluto; 09-09-12 at 23:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As many times as its been mentioned, I still can't work out how accidentally pushing the button in causes the QD to fall out.

I mean you'd have to have good strain on the sling and something slipped in between the sling loop and button and then depress the button to or even below the plain of the QD body.

Perhaps someone can reproduce it on video as I've tried and tried and tried doing it deliberately and it simply will not happen for me when trying several QDs of different make and a pile of sockets on diffrent stocks, forends, rail sections and loose unmounted sockets.
    Just by pushing the button the QD will want to stay in the socket as thats the direction its being forced.

However some anti rotation sockets aren't finished so well in the groove and forcing QD rotation by sling tension or whatever will shove the locking bearings in which creates the same effect as pushing the button and allows the QD to pop right out.
    Had a rail or two with that type socket and you could pop the QD out all day long without even touching
    the button.

I'm of the belief that most pop outs are a result of faulty socket machine work (groove or anti rotation lumps in the groove) or improperly putting the QD in to begin with.
    Of course there is the potential for plain old mechanical failure in the QD mechanism, but unless its being installed and removed many, many times a day for who knows how long or spinning one constantly with strain on the sling in a rotateable socket wear should not really be a factor.

Even if the bearings can completely come free once in the socket it still requires the center post to break or wear out in just the right spot to allow all 4 of the bearings to simultaniously retract into the QD body and release it from the socket.

I'd hazard the odds of ripping the sling loop off one are higher than having one wear to the point of failure unless the bearings or socket is really crap material.

All that being said, I have preference for the DD QDs as they at least look to be of significantly better and beefier construction than say Uncle Mike's

Feedback Score
    i hate the far right ones, in that link to MI. my favorite is the one on the left.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTifosi View Post
    As many times as its been mentioned, I still can't work out how accidentally pushing the button in causes the QD to fall out.
    Check out the post dated 12/24/10 on this thread: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=2202139

This guy is a pro and he's using good quality equipment. And I've read other instances as well. I agree that it really requires the moon to turn purple and the stars aligning, but it does and has happened. If a simple act like choosing one swivel over another can make a difference, then why not?

On the other hand, I am probably making a mountain out of a molehill...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    On the other hand, I am probably making a mountain out of a molehill...
    I don't think so. Swivel qd things are garbage and have NO business on firearms.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Buttstock sling mounts are usually not an issue, but what do you recommend up front if stock sling swivel isn't present, there's no rail real estate, or you don't want to run a clanky dog collar hook?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Its been my experienced that the issue comes not from the QD swivel being inadvertently pressed, but from the mount simply pulling out of the they mounting point. The problem is all of the quality QD mounts are made of good high quality steel while some manufacturers choose to make the attachment points from aluminum. A steel mount will eventually wear an aluminum mount out leading to a less secure mount. I learned about this from reviewing testing done by a local manufacturer which now chooses to makes its attachment points from hardened steel which can be replaced.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That I can easily see and may explain my failure to make fail: all the sockets I tried were steel.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast