Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: M16A5 Stock by VLTOR

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Outside of a great comercially-available capability for the citizens at large who have 20" barrels, words can't express how amazed and pleased I'll get if the Corps follows through with an idea that's about 15 years past-due.
    Do you have any ideas or opinions on whether or not we'll actually get this?
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Outside of a great comercially-available capability for the citizens at large who have 20" barrels, words can't express how amazed and pleased I'll get if the Corps follows through with an idea that's about 15 years past-due.
    Exactly.
    The 20" BCM AR looks great with that stock on it. I've used VLTOR E-Mods quite a bit, great design. I'm sure the new buffer from VLTOR combined with the 20" barrel makes for a very nice shooting reliable rifle. This is just personal preference but I'd like to see the Marines use a 16" Midlength or 18" Intermediate gas upper instead of a rifle gas 20" upper. IMHO if you're going to use a barrel as big as 20" it might as well be 7.62x51mm NATO.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Very interesting. And it makes a hell of a lot of sense, too.

I pieced together an A4 clone last month, from a bunch of spare parts and an old Colt 20" barrel I had laying around.

It definitely looks like time to convert it into an A5 clone.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I agree with GotM4. I'd like to see a similar set up using an 18" barrel. Combine that with some real ammo made for popping people and there would be a real winning combination.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I thought the Marines are adopting the HK IAR with a 16.5 inch barrel.

The Marines have expressed their dissatisfaction with the M-4 and M-16A2. It is unclear how, or even if, they will issue the new IAR. I believe if they had their way they would replace all their M-16s.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by az doug View Post

The Marines have expressed their dissatisfaction with the M-4 and M-16A2. It is unclear how, or even if, they will issue the new IAR. I believe if they had their way they would replace all their M-16s.
    I'm pretty sure the Marine Corps has said just the opposite.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by az doug View Post

By stating the first sentence, you're stating that you thought that the IAR is supposed to replace the M4/M16A4. This is not the case.

The IAR is the Infantry Automatic Rifle. Instead of the M249 SAW being the base of fire for the fire team and squad, you will have the IAR.

The Marines have NOT expressed their dissatisfaction with the M4. Biased articles written by ignorant authors sourced by organizations with agendas combined with massive ignorance and a penchant for having diahrrea of the mouth have expressed dissatisfaction with the M4. That's not the same thing. What I hear is dissatisfaction that they're not allowed to set them up the way they'd like to set them. Also not the same thing as dissatisfaction with the platform.

The Marines have expressed dissatisfaction with the length of the M16A4, and the fact that for some it is impossible to achieve correct eye relief with the RCO with a fixed throw-length. The length of the barrel is not an issue, as it still has a place as a basic shoulder arm in terrain such as that found in Afghanistan, and a collapsable buttstock such as that listed here will satisfy the ability to adjust the gun. That's not the same thing as expressing dissatisfaction with the M16A4 as a platform, merely with aspects of it.

How the IAR will be issued is aparrently strictly unclear to you, in spite of it being a very simple concept and having been rehashed for the last 3+ years while it's been getting sourced. It will be issued as the M27 IAR, and will fulfill the same basic role as the BAR of the Days of Yore, as discussed in Paragraph 2 of this post.

Your final sentence, I take as completely literal. You believe that the Marines would replace all of the M16A4s. I can't hope to argue articles of faith, and you are free to believe whatever you like, but if you'd stated that you knew that the Marines want to ditch the M16A4, you'd be completely wrong. There are tons of them that, just like you, me, and everybody else, have differing opinions and preferences. Many like the A4, prefer it, and even if they didn't, it still has a role that it fufills more than adequately.

Now that we've setled that.......This is a thread about an adjustable throw-length material capability now available for those who want to tinker with their rifle-length weapons. Howzabout we keep it that way, and have a doctrinal and weapons-procurement argument somewhere else? Mmmmkay?
    Last edited by JSantoro; 06-13-10 at 23:46.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Stupid question time:

Is the VLTOR Buffer tube proprietary to the VLTOR stock or can others be used with it?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I sort of got lost in the marketing-speak. Is this essentially a carbine receiver extension which has been lengthened to rifle length, or is the length proprietary? Also, I get the part about buffers of differing mass being available, but is the default buffer the same mass as a standard rifle buffer, even though it appears to be proprietary in design?

In any event, it looks promising. All the VLTOR products I've owned and used have been extremely well thought-out, engineered, and crafted.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    how many ounces is the buffer?

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast